* [RFC] merge seekwatcher into the blktrace repository?
@ 2014-09-05 18:48 Christoph Hellwig
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2014-09-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrace

Hi Chris, hi Jens,

I worked with a customer last week who had to manually install
seekwatcher because their distro didn't provide it, and it turns
out that the hg repository for it seems fairly dead, and recent fixes
are instead carried in various distro packages.

Given that seekwatcher is based on blktrace, and given that other
simple blktrace consumers are in the blktrace repository maybe it's time
to simple add seekwatcher to the blktrace repository so that we have
a canonical place for any sort of fixes for it?

* Re: [RFC] merge seekwatcher into the blktrace repository?
@ 2014-09-05 19:17 ` Jens Axboe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jens Axboe @ 2014-09-05 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrace

On 09/05/2014 12:48 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi Chris, hi Jens,
>
> I worked with a customer last week who had to manually install
> seekwatcher because their distro didn't provide it, and it turns
> out that the hg repository for it seems fairly dead, and recent fixes
> are instead carried in various distro packages.
>
> Given that seekwatcher is based on blktrace, and given that other
> simple blktrace consumers are in the blktrace repository maybe it's time
> to simple add seekwatcher to the blktrace repository so that we have
> a canonical place for any sort of fixes for it?

I agree it'd be a good idea to have this packaged together, and I'd have
no problem adding seekwatcher to the blktrace repo. Chris?

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: [RFC] merge seekwatcher into the blktrace repository?
@ 2014-09-05 19:30 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-09-05 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrace

On 9/5/14, 1:48 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi Chris, hi Jens,
>
> I worked with a customer last week who had to manually install
> seekwatcher because their distro didn't provide it, and it turns
> out that the hg repository for it seems fairly dead, and recent fixes
> are instead carried in various distro packages.

seekwatcher is dead, long live iowatcher, right?

http://masoncoding.com/iowatcher/

Still, I've be happy to have any graphing functionality bundled
with blktrace.

-Eric

* Re: [RFC] merge seekwatcher into the blktrace repository?
@ 2014-09-05 20:22 ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2014-09-05 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrace

On 09/05/2014 03:30 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 9/5/14, 1:48 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> Hi Chris, hi Jens,
>>
>> I worked with a customer last week who had to manually install
>> seekwatcher because their distro didn't provide it, and it turns
>> out that the hg repository for it seems fairly dead, and recent fixes
>> are instead carried in various distro packages.
>
> seekwatcher is dead, long live iowatcher, right?

Yeah, iowatcher is the new hotness.

> Still, I've be happy to have any graphing functionality bundled
> with blktrace.

Jens and I have bounced this around a few times, and now that iowatcher
doesn't have any crazy dependencies, it makes sense.

-chris

* Re: [RFC] merge seekwatcher into the blktrace repository?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-05 22:59 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2014-09-05 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrace

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 04:22:35PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> > seekwatcher is dead, long live iowatcher, right?
> >

> Yeah, iowatcher is the new hotness.

You really should cut a release and announce it to linux-fsdevel and
linu-scsi so people know.  It's already been around for 2 years
according to git history and I hadn't heard about it until today.

> > Still, I've be happy to have any graphing functionality bundled
> > with blktrace.
>
> Jens and I have bounced this around a few times, and now that iowatcher
> doesn't have any crazy dependencies, it makes sense.

I'd be absolutely in favor of it.