* Boot option raid=parttitionable and autodetection
@ 2014-09-10 23:31 Bostjan Skufca
From: Bostjan Skufca @ 2014-09-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi all,

does kernel boot time parameter raid=partitionable ofer any additional
feature over not using it at all?

Besides changing autodetected device names from /dev/mdX to /dev/md_dX
I currently can not see any other difference, save lilo being unable
to work with them.

Normal raid devices can be partitioned without hassle, unfortunately
in-kernel autodetection of nested raid arrays does not work (talking
about raid0 over raid1 here, not raid10), but that is more or less
understandable.

Another quick question:
What is the status of in-kernel autodetection vs initramfs based one?
As I could gather from various sites it seems initramfs is preferable,
but what does that mean for in-kernel detection? Is it slowly being
phased out?

Tnx for info,
b.

* Re: Boot option raid=parttitionable and autodetection
@ 2014-09-11  0:02 ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2014-09-11  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bostjan Skufca; +Cc: linux-raid