* [Qemu-devel] qemu process stuck in Rl state
@ 2014-09-17 19:56 Andrey Korolyov
From: Andrey Korolyov @ 2014-09-17 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

I`ve faced an issue with qemu VMs with very large uptime spans - half
of year or so. They are hanging in running state forever and are not
killable in any imaginable fashion. Tried to freeze it via freezer cg
without any luck. VM itself went unresponsive with zero cpu
consumption after reaching 'forever running' point.

I am going to reset the host in a couple of hours, so any timed ideas
for debugging this state will be very appreciated.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu process stuck in Rl state
@ 2014-09-18 10:49 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2014-09-18 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Korolyov; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:56:57PM +0400, Andrey Korolyov wrote:
> I`ve faced an issue with qemu VMs with very large uptime spans - half
> of year or so. They are hanging in running state forever and are not
> killable in any imaginable fashion. Tried to freeze it via freezer cg
> without any luck. VM itself went unresponsive with zero cpu
> consumption after reaching 'forever running' point.
>
> I am going to reset the host in a couple of hours, so any timed ideas
> for debugging this state will be very appreciated.

A couple of shots at figuring out what the process is doing:

cat /proc/$PID/stack
cat /proc/$PID/syscall
gdb $PID
(gdb) thread apply all bt

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 473 bytes --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu process stuck in Rl state
@ 2014-09-18 11:21   ` Andrey Korolyov
From: Andrey Korolyov @ 2014-09-18 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:56:57PM +0400, Andrey Korolyov wrote:
>> I`ve faced an issue with qemu VMs with very large uptime spans - half
>> of year or so. They are hanging in running state forever and are not
>> killable in any imaginable fashion. Tried to freeze it via freezer cg
>> without any luck. VM itself went unresponsive with zero cpu
>> consumption after reaching 'forever running' point.
>>
>> I am going to reset the host in a couple of hours, so any timed ideas
>> for debugging this state will be very appreciated.
>
> A couple of shots at figuring out what the process is doing:
>
> cat /proc/$PID/stack
> cat /proc/$PID/syscall
> gdb $PID
> (gdb) thread apply all bt

Thanks Stefan,

of course any attempts to attach to the process or dump core failed at
very beginning. I compared proc contents with live VM and found
nothing suspicious. The question is about what I should try to do
facing supposedly kernel bug, if no possibility to determine which
code is currently executing by emulator is available. Also if it may
help, both affected VMs on different hosts has a simular process
uptime (from end of May). Just to repeat - the process is not reacting
to any signal, have zero CPU consumption immediately after bug
appearance and therefore cannot be stopped/frozen.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu process stuck in Rl state
@ 2014-09-24  8:54     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2014-09-24  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Korolyov; +Cc: qemu-devel