* gdbsx - xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1; failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
@ 2014-08-26  2:14 Pete Delaney
From: Pete Delaney @ 2014-08-26  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mukesh.rathor, xen-devel; +Cc: Pete Delaney, piet.delaney, Elaine Huang

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2199 bytes --]

Hi Mukesh:

I tried your gdbsx stub but hit a couple errors.
I didn't find an explanation with google; nor on the xen-devel mailing list yet.
Thought I'd ask ya.

I installed Ubuntu-14.04 Server with OpenXenManager on my Xenon workstation and have
A Xenon blade also with Ubunto-14.04 and OpenXen. Seems to run about the same on both
Machines.

This afternoon I pulled the Xen source with git from xenbits.xen.org and build it.

The version of gdbsx that I built on my workstation is having problems attaching to Domain-0.
I tried this on the host. Do I need to create a shell to a Domain-0 instance or something?

    root@piet-openxen:~# ./gdbsx -c 1 64
    ERROR:xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1
    ERROR: failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13            [Permission Denied]

    root@piet-openxen:~# xl list
    Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs  State   Time(s)
    Domain-0                                     0 14734    12     r-----    8562.9
    New_PV_Driver                                1  1023     4     -b----      50.3
    root@piet-openxen:~#

    root@piet-openxen-blade:~# xl pause 1

    root@piet-openxen-blade:~# ./gdbsx  -a 1 32 9999
    ERROR:xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1
    ERROR: failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13            [Permission Denied]

    root@piet-openxen-blade:~# xl list
    Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs  State   Time(s)
    Domain-0                                     0 14734    12     r-----    8651.7
    New_PV_Driver                                1  1023     4     --p---     242.8
    root@piet-openxen-blade:~#

    root@piet-openxen-blade:~# ./gdbsx  -a 1 32 9999 -d
    xg_init:E
    xg_init:X:fd:3
    xg_attach:E:domid:1
    _check_hyp:XENCAPS:xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32 hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
    ERROR:xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1
    ERROR: failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
    root@piet-openxen-blade:~#

-piet

--
Pete/Piet Delaney
O: +1 408 935-1813

[Unity_Email_Sig]

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 11446 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image001.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 36608 bytes --]

* Re: gdbsx - xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1; failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
@ 2014-08-26 22:47 ` Mukesh Rathor
From: Mukesh Rathor @ 2014-08-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Delaney; +Cc: piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 02:14:30 +0000
Pete Delaney <pdelaney@silver-peak.com> wrote:

> Hi Mukesh:
>
> I tried your gdbsx stub but hit a couple errors.
> I didn't find an explanation with google; nor on the xen-devel
> mailing list yet. Thought I'd ask ya.
>
> I installed Ubuntu-14.04 Server with OpenXenManager on my Xenon
> workstation and have A Xenon blade also with Ubunto-14.04 and
> OpenXen. Seems to run about the same on both Machines.
>
> This afternoon I pulled the Xen source with git from xenbits.xen.org
> and build it.
>
> The version of gdbsx that I built on my workstation is having
> problems attaching to Domain-0. I tried this on the host. Do I need
> to create a shell to a Domain-0 instance or something?

gdbsx runs on dom0 and attaches to a domU.

>     root@piet-openxen:~# ./gdbsx -c 1 64
>     ERROR:xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1
>     ERROR: failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
> [Permission Denied]

Hmm... I just tried and it worked for me, so things are ok it seems
on latest xen/linux. The errno EPERM indicates something might not
be properly setup. Are you able to run other xen commands like xl list,
etc?  I see you are running as root, are you running gdbsx on dom0?

Mukesh

* Re: gdbsx - xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1; failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
@ 2014-08-27  3:02   ` Pete Delaney
From: Pete Delaney @ 2014-08-27  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor; +Cc: Pete Delaney, piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

Hi Mukesh:

    > Hmm... I just tried and it worked for me, so things are ok it seems on latest xen/linux.
    > The errno EPERM indicates something might not be properly setup.
    > Are you able to run other xen commands like xl list, etc?
    > I see you are running as root, are you running gdbsx on dom0?

Gdbsx runs on dom0, which I believe is the same as running on the host when it's booting for Xen support in the grub selection.
On the host the Xen commands are available as I showed in my initial email, I used the "xl list" and "xl pause" commands:

    >  root@piet-openxen:~# xl list
    > 	Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs  State   Time(s)
    >	 Domain-0                                     0 14734    12     r-----    8562.9
    >	New_PV_Driver                                1  1023     4     -b----      50.3
   >  root@piet-openxen:~#

    > root@piet-openxen-blade:~# xl pause 1

I was running as root on the host/dom0.

Wondering if the host kernel has to be configured to support gdb attaching with gdbsx.

Sorry about the reply exchange layout; I can' only run outlook here at work.
I like the thunderbird reply scheme much more.

-piet

@ 2014-08-27 18:25     ` Mukesh Rathor
From: Mukesh Rathor @ 2014-08-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Delaney; +Cc: piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 03:02:54 +0000
Pete Delaney <pdelaney@silver-peak.com> wrote:

> Hi Mukesh:
>
>     > Hmm... I just tried and it worked for me, so things are ok it
>     > seems on latest xen/linux. The errno EPERM indicates something
>     > might not be properly setup. Are you able to run other xen
>     > commands like xl list, etc? I see you are running as root, are
>     > you running gdbsx on dom0?
>
> Gdbsx runs on dom0, which I believe is the same as running on the
> host when it's booting for Xen support in the grub selection. On the
> host the Xen commands are available as I showed in my initial email,
> I used the "xl list" and "xl pause" commands:
>
>     >  root@piet-openxen:~# xl list
>     > 	Name                                        ID   Mem
>     > VCPUs  State   Time(s)
>     >	 Domain-0                                     0 14734
>     >	12     r-----    8562.9
>     >	New_PV_Driver                                1  1023
>     >	4     -b----      50.3
>    >  root@piet-openxen:~#
>
>     > root@piet-openxen-blade:~# xl pause 1
>

> I was running as root on the host/dom0.

Hmm... that all seems ok then. Can you check your permissions on :

/proc/xen/privcmd

Other possibilites:
  - do you have xsm enabled?

  - can you put a printk in xen file common/domctl.c:

    case XEN_DOMCTL_pausedomain:
        ret = -EINVAL;
+       printk(">>>>>>>>> Pause domain:%d current:%d\n", d->domain_id,
+              current->domain->domain_id);
        if ( d != current->domain )
            ret = domain_pause_by_systemcontroller(d);
        break;

if you don't see this printk then the problem is in dom0 linux, prob
some permissions either on the privcmd file or somewhere in FS path.

> Wondering if the host kernel has to be configured to support gdb
> attaching with gdbsx.

Nop, at this point you are just not able to establish connection with
xen. gdb is not involved.

-Mukesh

* Re: gdbsx - xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1; failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
@ 2014-09-16 22:58       ` Pete Delaney
From: Pete Delaney @ 2014-09-16 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor
  Cc: Pete Delaney, Tedi Tedijanto, piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

Hi Mukesh:

Thanks for your help on enabling gdbsx...

> Hmm... that all seems ok then. Can you check your permissions on :

> /proc/xen/privcmd

  root@piet-openxen-blade:~# ls -l /proc/xen/privcmd

  -rw------- 1 root root 0 Aug 11 13:37 /proc/xen/privcmd

Privcmd seems to be a hypervisor call available from userland

For Xen developers:

      http://sanifool.com/2013/02/08/invoking-an-hypercall-from-userland-via-privcmd/

>  Other possibilities:

>   - do you have xsm enabled?

Don't  think so. I've heard this security stuff can get in the way.

Doing a  'xl list -Z' doesn't show any security labels.                                            [Wish I had Synergy Installed]

>-  can you put a printk in xen file common/domctl.c:

Sure but first I likely need to start using the openxen code that I compiled from src.

I'm currently using openxen installed via a Ubuntu 14.04 package.

Mind explaining the best way to proceed on switching to the openxen

That I compiled from source? I thought  some of it might be installed at /usr/local/

And perhaps just changing a search path or two will be sufficient.

I suspect I'll need to put a new xen kernel on /boot and update the grub config.

>    case XEN_DOMCTL_pausedomain:

>        ret = -EINVAL;

>+       printk(">>>>>>>>> Pause domain:%d current:%d\n", d->domain_id,

>+              current->domain->domain_id);

>      if ( d != current->domain )

>            ret = domain_pause_by_systemcontroller(d);

>        break;

Ok, I added your suggested prink() call above.

?  if you don't see this printk then the problem is in dom0 linux, prob some permissions either on the privcmd file or somewhere in FS path.

?  > Wondering if the host kernel has to be configured to support gdb

?  > attaching with gdbsx.

?  Nop, at this point you are just not able to establish connection with xen. gdb is not involved.

Great, perhaps I just need to do is install the openxen I just compiled.

Your suggestions on exactly how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

?  -Mukesh

-piet

@ 2014-09-17  2:15         ` Mukesh Rathor
From: Mukesh Rathor @ 2014-09-17  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Delaney; +Cc: Tedi Tedijanto, piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:58:37 +0000
Pete Delaney <pdelaney@silver-peak.com> wrote:

> Hi Mukesh:
>

> Thanks for your help on enabling gdbsx...
>

> > Hmm... that all seems ok then. Can you check your permissions on :
>

> > /proc/xen/privcmd
>

>   root@piet-openxen-blade:~# ls -l /proc/xen/privcmd
>
>   -rw------- 1 root root 0 Aug 11 13:37 /proc/xen/privcmd
>

> Privcmd seems to be a hypervisor call available from userland
>
> For Xen developers:
>

>       http://sanifool.com/2013/02/08/invoking-an-hypercall-from-userland-via-privcmd/
>

> >  Other possibilities:
>
> >   - do you have xsm enabled?
>

> Don't  think so. I've heard this security stuff can get in the way.
>
> Doing a  'xl list -Z' doesn't show any security
> labels.                                            [Wish I had
> Synergy Installed]
>

> >-  can you put a printk in xen file common/domctl.c:
>

> Sure but first I likely need to start using the openxen code that I
> compiled from src.
>
> I'm currently using openxen installed via a Ubuntu 14.04 package.
>

> Mind explaining the best way to proceed on switching to the openxen
>
> That I compiled from source? I thought  some of it might be installed
> at /usr/local/
>
> And perhaps just changing a search path or two will be sufficient.
>

> I suspect I'll need to put a new xen kernel on /boot and update the
> grub config.

Correct. Just git clone xen tree to match your version, then edit the
file to add printk, then build xen. copy xen to target machine over
to /boot. Then edit grub kernel line to boot new xen.

Mukesh

* Re: gdbsx - xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1; failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
@ 2014-09-17  3:21           ` Pete Delaney
From: Pete Delaney @ 2014-09-17  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor; +Cc: Pete Delaney, piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

Evening Mukesh:

Re:
                > Correct. Just git clone xen tree to match your version, then edit the file to add printk, then build xen.
                > copy xen to target machine over to /boot. Then edit grub kernel line to boot new xen.

Kernel log showing I'm running Xen version 4.4.0 (preserve-AD) on Ubuntu 14.04.

Git shows a stable-4.4 and a staging-4.4 release tag.  The stable-4.4 is the last on the branch,

and follows  a  4.4.2-pre. Release 4.4.1 is between staging-4.4 and stable-4.4;

so it's not clear looking at the git history and the kernel log which are matching

xen version is.  I suspect it's not that important.

My guess is to use the last commit; looks good (checking control blocks when using FIFO events);

that git tag stable-4.4 is the best match for Ubuntu 14.04's reported version 4.4.0 (preserve-AD).

In the mean time I'll cherry pick your suggested printk patch to stable-4.4.

-piet

@ 2014-09-18  2:11           ` Pete Delaney
From: Pete Delaney @ 2014-09-18  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor; +Cc: Tedi Tedijanto, piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

Hi Mukesh:

                > Correct. Just git clone xen tree to match your version, then edit the file to add printk, then build xen. copy xen to target machine over to /boot. Then edit grub kernel line to boot new xen.

I after building Xen I tried a 'make install-xen' but got a problem with EFI_VENDOR not being defined.

See attached snapshot.

Looks like 'make install-xen' installed a  xen kerneL in /boot

                piet@piet-t3600:/boot$ ls -lt | more

     total 94131

     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       16 Sep 17 17:35 xen-4.4.gz -> xen-4.4.2-pre.gz

     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       16 Sep 17 17:35 xen-4.gz -> xen-4.4.2-pre.gz

     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       16 Sep 17 17:35 xen.gz -> xen-4.4.2-pre.gz

     -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   844203 Sep 17 16:26 xen-4.4.2-pre.gz

     -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15440366 Sep 17 16:26 xen-syms-4.4.2-pre

     -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28743841 Aug  8 16:59 initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic

     drwxr-xr-x 5 root root     1024 Aug  8 16:58 grubdded to the /boot partition:

The grub default is  "Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen hypervisor"  (see attached grub.cfg).

I'm rather rusty on the new and improved grub syntax. I'd prefer not bricking my Ubuntu workstation. :)

The various menu entry's under the Xen submenu look very similar.  Currently is offering a 3.13.0-32 kernel

And a 3.13.0-24 kernel (modules are in /lib/modules).

Looks to me like I can  easily provide a  different multiboot line:

Currently:

                multiboot       /xen-4.4-amd64.gz   placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}

Change it to:

                multiboot       /xen-4.4.2-pre.gz   placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}]

If xen fails to boot I should still be able to boot the original Ubuntu-14.04 stock linux kernels.

It's not obvious how to easily make it possible to select between the two Xen images without

Potentially messing up system installation scripts.

-piet

--

Pete/Piet Delaney

O: +1 408 935-1813

C: +1 408 646-8557

H: +1 408 243-8872

Home Email: piet.delaney@gmail.com

> Thanks for your help on enabling gdbsx...

> > Hmm... that all seems ok then. Can you check your permissions on :

> > /proc/xen/privcmd

>   root@piet-openxen-blade:~# ls -l /proc/xen/privcmd

>   -rw------- 1 root root 0 Aug 11 13:37 /proc/xen/privcmd

> Privcmd seems to be a hypervisor call available from userland

> For Xen developers:

> http://sanifool.com/2013/02/08/invoking-an-hypercall-from-userland-via

> -privcmd/

> >  Other possibilities:

> >   - do you have xsm enabled?

> Don't  think so. I've heard this security stuff can get in the way.

> Doing a  'xl list -Z' doesn't show any security

> labels.                                            [Wish I had

> Synergy Installed]

> >-  can you put a printk in xen file common/domctl.c:

> Sure but first I likely need to start using the openxen code that I

> compiled from src.

> I'm currently using openxen installed via a Ubuntu 14.04 package.

> Mind explaining the best way to proceed on switching to the openxen

> That I compiled from source? I thought  some of it might be installed

> at /usr/local/

> And perhaps just changing a search path or two will be sufficient.

> I suspect I'll need to put a new xen kernel on /boot and update the

> grub config.

Correct. Just git clone xen tree to match your version, then edit the file to add printk, then build xen. copy xen to target machine over to /boot. Then edit grub kernel line to boot new xen.

Mukesh

[-- Attachment #2: XEN_MA~1.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 206807 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: grub.cfg --]

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  set have_grubenv=true
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen hypervisor"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}
function recordfail {
  set recordfail=1
  if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}
function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod lvm
insmod ext2
set root='lvmid/00Ui3b-dbpF-EcAa-FY8O-NMHY-wxg7-iPwsOn/Ra6DzK-U1BJ-sUaT-s2mI-o6lw-Wy3f-KMArgE'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint='lvmid/00Ui3b-dbpF-EcAa-FY8O-NMHY-wxg7-iPwsOn/Ra6DzK-U1BJ-sUaT-s2mI-o6lw-Wy3f-KMArgE'  ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
  set timeout=-1
else
  if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
    set timeout_style=menu
    set timeout=29
  # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
  # unavailable.
  else
    set timeout=29
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
if background_color 45,51,53; then
  clear
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
function gfxmode {
	set gfxpayload="${1}"
	if [ "${1}" = "keep" ]; then
		set vt_handoff=vt.handoff=7
	else
		set vt_handoff=
	fi
}
if [ "${recordfail}" != 1 ]; then
  if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
    if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
      if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=text
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
  else
    set linux_gfx_mode=keep
  fi
else
  set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
	recordfail
	load_video
	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd1,msdos1'
	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	fi
	linux	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro
	initrd	/initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Ubuntu' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-32-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.13.0-32-generic-advanced-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd1,msdos1'
		if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		else
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-32-generic ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro
		echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
		initrd	/initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
	}
	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-32-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.13.0-32-generic-recovery-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd1,msdos1'
		if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		else
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-32-generic ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro recovery nomodeset
		echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
		initrd	/initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
	}
	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.13.0-24-generic-advanced-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd1,msdos1'
		if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		else
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-24-generic ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro
		echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
		initrd	/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
	}
	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.13.0-24-generic-recovery-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd1,msdos1'
		if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		else
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-24-generic ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro recovery nomodeset
		echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
		initrd	/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen hypervisor' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-simple-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd1,msdos1'
	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	fi
	echo	'Loading Xen 4.4-amd64 ...'
        if [ "$grub_platform" = "pc" -o "$grub_platform" = "" ]; then
            xen_rm_opts=
        else
            xen_rm_opts="no-real-mode edd=off"
        fi
	multiboot	/xen-4.4-amd64.gz placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}
	echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-32-generic ...'
	module	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic placeholder root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	module	--nounzip   /initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Ubuntu GNU/Linux (with Xen hypervisor)' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
	submenu 'Xen hypervisor, version 4.4-amd64' $menuentry_id_option 'xen-hypervisor-4.4-amd64-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
		menuentry 'Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.4-amd64 and Linux 3.13.0-32-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-3.13.0-32-generic-advanced-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd1,msdos1'
[...]
		menuentry 'Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.4-amd64 and Linux 3.13.0-32-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-3.13.0-32-generic-recovery-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd1,msdos1'
			if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
			  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
			else
			  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
			fi
			echo	'Loading Xen 4.4-amd64 ...'
		        if [ "$grub_platform" = "pc" -o "$grub_platform" = "" ]; then
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		            xen_rm_opts="no-real-mode edd=off"
		        fi
			multiboot	/xen-4.4-amd64.gz placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-32-generic ...'
			module	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic placeholder root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro single
			echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
			module	--nounzip   /initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
		}
		menuentry 'Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.4-amd64 and Linux 3.13.0-24-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-3.13.0-24-generic-advanced-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd1,msdos1'
			if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
			  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
			else
			  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
			fi
			echo	'Loading Xen 4.4-amd64 ...'
		        if [ "$grub_platform" = "pc" -o "$grub_platform" = "" ]; then
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		            xen_rm_opts="no-real-mode edd=off"
		        fi
			multiboot	/xen-4.4-amd64.gz placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}
			echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-24-generic ...'
			module	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic placeholder root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro
			echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
			module	--nounzip   /initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
		}
		menuentry 'Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.4-amd64 and Linux 3.13.0-24-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-3.13.0-24-generic-recovery-ab6ef717-00c8-41b7-bd3c-4efc8e6bb197' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd1,msdos1'
			if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
			  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
			else
			  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
			fi
			echo	'Loading Xen 4.4-amd64 ...'
		        if [ "$grub_platform" = "pc" -o "$grub_platform" = "" ]; then
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		            xen_rm_opts="no-real-mode edd=off"
		        fi
			multiboot	/xen-4.4-amd64.gz placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-24-generic ...'
			module	/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic placeholder root=/dev/mapper/piet--t3600--vg-root ro single
			echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
			module	--nounzip   /initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
		}
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry 'Memory test (memtest86+)' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd1,msdos1'
	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	fi
	knetbsd	/memtest86+.elf
}
menuentry 'Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd1,msdos1'
	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bb0eacb4-d64e-4217-942c-d0e410b5084c
	fi
	linux16	/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (14.04) (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-simple-1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos1'
	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
	fi
	linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
	initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (14.04) (on /dev/sda1)' $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-advanced-1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90' {
	menuentry 'Ubuntu (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic--1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90' {
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
		else
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
		fi
		linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
		initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
	}
	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic--1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90' {
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
		else
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
		fi
		linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
		initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
	}
	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda1)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic-root=UUID=1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90 ro recovery nomodeset-1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90' {
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
		else
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90
		fi
		linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=1fd2a90c-6ffe-4290-bcc9-06dd1ed36f90 ro recovery nomodeset
		initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
	}
}

set timeout_style=menu
if [ "${timeout}" = 0 ]; then
  set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

* Re: gdbsx - xg_attach:Unable to pause domain:1; failed to attach to domain:1 errno:13
@ 2014-09-23  0:10             ` Mukesh Rathor
From: Mukesh Rathor @ 2014-09-23  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Delaney; +Cc: Tedi Tedijanto, piet.delaney, Elaine Huang, xen-devel

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 02:11:26 +0000
Pete Delaney <pdelaney@silver-peak.com> wrote:

> Hi Mukesh:
>

>                 > Correct. Just git clone xen tree to match your
>                 > version, then edit the file to add printk, then
>                 > build xen. copy xen to target machine over
>                 > to /boot. Then edit grub kernel line to boot new
>                 > xen.
>

> I after building Xen I tried a 'make install-xen' but got a problem
> with EFI_VENDOR not being defined.
>
> See attached snapshot.
>

> Looks like 'make install-xen' installed a  xen kerneL in /boot
>

>                 piet@piet-t3600:/boot$ ls -lt | more
>
>      total 94131
>
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       16 Sep 17 17:35 xen-4.4.gz ->
> xen-4.4.2-pre.gz
>
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       16 Sep 17 17:35 xen-4.gz ->
> xen-4.4.2-pre.gz
>
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       16 Sep 17 17:35 xen.gz ->
> xen-4.4.2-pre.gz
>
>      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   844203 Sep 17 16:26 xen-4.4.2-pre.gz
>
>      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15440366 Sep 17 16:26 xen-syms-4.4.2-pre
>
>      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28743841 Aug  8 16:59
> initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
>
>      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root     1024 Aug  8 16:58 grubdded to
> the /boot partition:
>

> The grub default is  "Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Xen hypervisor"  (see
> attached grub.cfg).
>

> I'm rather rusty on the new and improved grub syntax. I'd prefer not
> bricking my Ubuntu workstation. :)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan either. Actually, I just realized you could
use strace to figure where the call is failing. So, lets try that. Can
you run with strace and lmk what you find?

I'll be offline till thursday, btw.

- mukesh