* [U-Boot] Please sync u-boot-arm/master with u-boot/master
@ 2014-09-28 15:14 Masahiro YAMADA
From: Masahiro YAMADA @ 2014-09-28 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Albert,

Could you have your u-boot-arm/master branch
fast-forwarded against Tom's one, please?

I am thinking of sending a pull-req of u-boot-uniphier
(probably in a week or so).

My upcoming pull-req will depend on some commits
that are already on Tom's branch, but that are not on your branch yet.

If you could update your branch, that would be helpful.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* [U-Boot] Please sync u-boot-arm/master with u-boot/master
@ 2014-10-02  3:53 ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2014-10-02  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Ping?

Albert,  u-boot-arm/master is more than ten days old.

I need to prepare my pull-request based on the
latest commit.

So, please update your repository.

Thanks,

Masahiro Yamada

@ 2014-10-02  7:35   ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2014-10-02  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Masahiro,

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:53:05 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.m@jp.panasonic.com> wrote:

> Ping?
>
> Albert,  u-boot-arm/master is more than ten days old.
>
> I need to prepare my pull-request based on the
> latest commit.
>
> So, please update your repository.

You do not need me to merge u-boot/master in order to send out your
pull req; whatever mainline commit you need will be listed
automatically (and I will have a choice of either merging u-boot/master
before or after I pull your PR).

In fact, I much prefer you to just build your branches (master or next)
and make them available, then send a PR even though it needs ARM to
pull from some other repo (be it mainline or another one). This way,
Ican look at your branches and see directly what I will pull, and I can
decide in which order I want to do it.

So just send out your PR against u-boot-arm/master when you have
it ready (make sure it is on your 'master' branch, though, because when
I see a PR from a 'next' branch shorty before a release, I tend to
either postpone it or pull it into my next branch).

If you feel you need to call my attention to anything related to your
PR, including dependency to some mainline commit not yet in ARM, then
add this as a comment in the PR.

> Thanks,
>
> Masahiro Yamada

Amicalement,
--
Albert.

* [U-Boot] Please sync u-boot-arm/master with u-boot/master
@ 2014-10-02  8:21     ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2014-10-02  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:35:02 +0200, Albert ARIBAUD
<albert.u.boot@aribaud.net> wrote:

> Hi Masahiro,
>
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:53:05 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
> <yamada.m@jp.panasonic.com> wrote:
>
> > Ping?
> >
> > Albert,  u-boot-arm/master is more than ten days old.
> >
> > I need to prepare my pull-request based on the
> > latest commit.
> >
> > So, please update your repository.

Merge of u-boot/master done, fixes cm_fx6, six boards are still failing:

- openrd_{base,client,ultimate}:

	u-boot.bin exceeds file size limit:
	limit:  393216 bytes
	actual: (varies) bytes
	excess: (varies) bytes

- tricorder[_flash]

	arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: u-boot-spl section `.u_boot_list'
	will not fit in region `.sram'
	arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: region `.sram' overflowed by 116 bytes

- trimslice

	board/compulab/common/eeprom.c:37:24: error:
	'CONFIG_SYS_I2C_EEPROM_BUS' undeclared (first use in this
	function)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.

* [U-Boot] Please sync u-boot-arm/master with u-boot/master
@ 2014-10-02  8:33     ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2014-10-02  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Albert,

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:35:02 +0200
Albert ARIBAUD <albert.u.boot@aribaud.net> wrote:

> Hi Masahiro,
>
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:53:05 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
> <yamada.m@jp.panasonic.com> wrote:
>
> > Ping?
> >
> > Albert,  u-boot-arm/master is more than ten days old.
> >
> > I need to prepare my pull-request based on the
> > latest commit.
> >
> > So, please update your repository.
>
> You do not need me to merge u-boot/master in order to send out your
> pull req; whatever mainline commit you need will be listed
> automatically (and I will have a choice of either merging u-boot/master
> before or after I pull your PR).

Please teach me a little bit more.

Assme the HEAD of u-boo-arm/master is
commit 2a8c9c86b92a9ccee3c27286de317e19bb0530b3

Let's say I want to apply 7 patches
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393819/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393818/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393815/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393875/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393814/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393814/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393813/

and then send a pull request to you.

Those seven patches are not applicable on commit 2a8c9c86b,
because some prerequisite commits are missing.

So, I need to apply them onto commit be9f643ae6aa9044c60fe80e3a2c10be8371c692
(= the HEAD of Tom's repo.)

In this case, how should I generate the pull-req message?

git request-pull be9f643 git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master

Is this OK?

The wiki page (http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/CustodianGitTrees)
says to do:

git request-pull ${upstream}/master git://git.denx.de/u-boot-${subrepo}.git master

But

git request-pull 2a8c9c86b git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master

will output a list of too much commits.

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* [U-Boot] Please sync u-boot-arm/master with u-boot/master
@ 2014-10-02  9:58       ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2014-10-02  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Masahiro,

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 17:33:48 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.m@jp.panasonic.com> wrote:

> Hi Albert,
>

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:35:02 +0200
> Albert ARIBAUD <albert.u.boot@aribaud.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi Masahiro,
> >
> > On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:53:05 +0900, Masahiro Yamada
> > <yamada.m@jp.panasonic.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Ping?
> > >
> > > Albert,  u-boot-arm/master is more than ten days old.
> > >
> > > I need to prepare my pull-request based on the
> > > latest commit.
> > >
> > > So, please update your repository.
> >
> > You do not need me to merge u-boot/master in order to send out your
> > pull req; whatever mainline commit you need will be listed
> > automatically (and I will have a choice of either merging u-boot/master
> > before or after I pull your PR).
>

> Please teach me a little bit more.
>

> Assme the HEAD of u-boo-arm/master is
> commit 2a8c9c86b92a9ccee3c27286de317e19bb0530b3
>

> Let's say I want to apply 7 patches
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393819/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393818/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393815/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393875/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393814/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393814/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/393813/
>
> and then send a pull request to you.
>

> Those seven patches are not applicable on commit 2a8c9c86b,
> because some prerequisite commits are missing.
>

> So, I need to apply them onto commit be9f643ae6aa9044c60fe80e3a2c10be8371c692
> (= the HEAD of Tom's repo.)

> In this case, how should I generate the pull-req message?
>
> git request-pull be9f643 git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master
>
> Is this OK?
>

> The wiki page (http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/CustodianGitTrees)
> says to do:
>
> git request-pull ${upstream}/master git://git.denx.de/u-boot-${subrepo}.git master
>

> But
>
> git request-pull 2a8c9c86b git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master
>
> will output a list of too much commits.

Never mind those additional commits: they are commits from
u-boot/master which are needed by your branch (or more exactly, which
you have based your branch upon) and which are not (yet) in
u-boot-arm/master.

Think of them as the "common trunk of commits" shared between
u-boot/master and your master branch.

If I apply u-boot/master first, the trunk commits will be pulled in,
and laster, when I apply your branch, the trunk will already be in
place and I4ll only pull your own commits.

OTOH, if I apply your branch first, the trunk commits will be pulled in
just the same; and when later I apply u-boot/master, the trunk commits
will already be in place and I'll only pull that part of u-boot/master
which I don't yet have.

Is this clearer?

> Best Regards
> Masahiro Yamada

Amicalement,
--
Albert.

* [U-Boot] Please sync u-boot-arm/master with u-boot/master
@ 2014-10-02 10:10         ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2014-10-02 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Albert,

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 11:58:27 +0200
Albert ARIBAUD <albert.u.boot@aribaud.net> wrote:

> Never mind those additional commits: they are commits from
> u-boot/master which are needed by your branch (or more exactly, which
> you have based your branch upon) and which are not (yet) in
> u-boot-arm/master.
>
> Think of them as the "common trunk of commits" shared between
> u-boot/master and your master branch.
>
> If I apply u-boot/master first, the trunk commits will be pulled in,
> and laster, when I apply your branch, the trunk will already be in
> place and I4ll only pull your own commits.
>
> OTOH, if I apply your branch first, the trunk commits will be pulled in
> just the same; and when later I apply u-boot/master, the trunk commits
> will already be in place and I'll only pull that part of u-boot/master
> which I don't yet have.

Yup, either will work fine.

> Is this clearer?

Yes, thanks!

I wanted to be sure because I am going to send my
first pull-req in my entire life.

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada