* [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-05 19:01 Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2014-10-05 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

We are pleased to announce the official release of Xenomai 3.0-rc1,
which starts the candidate release cycle for Xenomai 3.

Xenomai 3 is the new architecture of our real-time framework,
which can run its APIs side-by-side with Linux as a co-kernel system
delivering very low latencies, or natively over unmodified Linux
kernels. In the latter case, the mainline kernel can be supplemented by
the preempt-rt patch to meet stricter real-time requirements.

The dual kernel configuration is currently supported over arm 32bit,
powerpc32, powerpc64, x86_32, x86_64 and blackfin, with a port to
aarch64 planned on Q1-2015. The single/native kernel configuration runs
on any CPU architecture Linux supports.

= What's new in Xenomai 3?

http://xenomai.org/introducing-xenomai-3/

= How to migrate from Xenomai 2.x?

http://xenomai.org/migrating-from-xenomai-2-x-to-3-x/

= Where is the code?

http://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-3.git/
http://download.gna.org/xenomai/testing/latest/xenomai-3.0-rc1.tar.bz2

Thanks to all Xenomai contributors, and to the companies who made this
possible, mainly by directly funding the development of some of the
Xenomai 3 features, or giving access to the latest hardware.

--
Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-05 23:12 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-10-05 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Xenomai

On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 09:01:49PM +0200, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> We are pleased to announce the official release of Xenomai 3.0-rc1,
> which starts the candidate release cycle for Xenomai 3.
>
> Xenomai 3 is the new architecture of our real-time framework,
> which can run its APIs side-by-side with Linux as a co-kernel system
> delivering very low latencies, or natively over unmodified Linux
> kernels. In the latter case, the mainline kernel can be supplemented by
> the preempt-rt patch to meet stricter real-time requirements.
>
> The dual kernel configuration is currently supported over arm 32bit,
> powerpc32, powerpc64, x86_32, x86_64 and blackfin, with a port to
> aarch64 planned on Q1-2015. The single/native kernel configuration runs
> on any CPU architecture Linux supports.
>
> = What's new in Xenomai 3?
>
> http://xenomai.org/introducing-xenomai-3/
>
> = How to migrate from Xenomai 2.x?
>
> http://xenomai.org/migrating-from-xenomai-2-x-to-3-x/
>
> = Where is the code?
>
> http://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-3.git/
> http://download.gna.org/xenomai/testing/latest/xenomai-3.0-rc1.tar.bz2
>
> Thanks to all Xenomai contributors, and to the companies who made this
> possible, mainly by directly funding the development of some of the
> Xenomai 3 features, or giving access to the latest hardware.

Those who wish a quick test run of xeno-test on Xenomai 3 co-kernel
on x86_64 may try and use the pre-built bzImage and initrd available
here:

http://xenomai.org/live-initramfs/3.0-rc1/

You will find an example configuration file for booting with
syslinux. The way to make bootable usb keys with syslinux is
described here:

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/HowTos

However, be warned: this initrd launches a telnet and ssh servers
with an empty root password, so do not use it on an hostile network,
and of course not on a machine with an interface with a public IP
address.

--
					    Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-06  8:31   ` Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
From: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda @ 2014-10-06  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

A Dilluns, 6 d'octubre de 2014, Gilles Chanteperdrix va escriure:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 09:01:49PM +0200, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the official release of Xenomai 3.0-rc1,
> > which starts the candidate release cycle for Xenomai 3.
> >
> > Xenomai 3 is the new architecture of our real-time framework,
> > which can run its APIs side-by-side with Linux as a co-kernel system
> > delivering very low latencies, or natively over unmodified Linux
> > kernels. In the latter case, the mainline kernel can be supplemented by
> > the preempt-rt patch to meet stricter real-time requirements.
> >
> > The dual kernel configuration is currently supported over arm 32bit,
> > powerpc32, powerpc64, x86_32, x86_64 and blackfin, with a port to
> > aarch64 planned on Q1-2015. The single/native kernel configuration runs
> > on any CPU architecture Linux supports.
> >
> > = What's new in Xenomai 3?
> >
> > http://xenomai.org/introducing-xenomai-3/

and RTNET ?

Leopold
* Re: [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-06  8:51     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-10-06  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda; +Cc: xenomai

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 10:31:38AM +0200, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> A Dilluns, 6 d'octubre de 2014, Gilles Chanteperdrix va escriure:
> > On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 09:01:49PM +0200, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> > >
> > > We are pleased to announce the official release of Xenomai 3.0-rc1,
> > > which starts the candidate release cycle for Xenomai 3.
> > >
> > > Xenomai 3 is the new architecture of our real-time framework,
> > > which can run its APIs side-by-side with Linux as a co-kernel system
> > > delivering very low latencies, or natively over unmodified Linux
> > > kernels. In the latter case, the mainline kernel can be supplemented by
> > > the preempt-rt patch to meet stricter real-time requirements.
> > >
> > > The dual kernel configuration is currently supported over arm 32bit,
> > > powerpc32, powerpc64, x86_32, x86_64 and blackfin, with a port to
> > > aarch64 planned on Q1-2015. The single/native kernel configuration runs
> > > on any CPU architecture Linux supports.
> > >
> > > = What's new in Xenomai 3?
> > >
> > > http://xenomai.org/introducing-xenomai-3/
>
> and RTNET ?

As you can see in the archive, rtnet is not there. But the work is
not finished, that is what "candidate release" means.

--
					    Gilles.
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2014-10-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 10:51:34AM +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> As you can see in the archive, rtnet is not there. But the work is
> not finished, that is what "candidate release" means.

Where I work, a release candidate is one that could be released fully
feature complete if no bugs are found.  A work in progress is a beta.
As the name says, it is a candidate for a release.

So this would be a xenomai 3.0 beta then.

Nice to see it is just about done though.

--
Len Sorensen

* Re: [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-06 14:51         ` Daniele Nicolodi
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2014-10-06 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

On 06/10/14 15:44, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 10:51:34AM +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> As you can see in the archive, rtnet is not there. But the work is
>> not finished, that is what "candidate release" means.
>
> Where I work, a release candidate is one that could be released fully
> feature complete if no bugs are found.  A work in progress is a beta.
> As the name says, it is a candidate for a release.
>
> So this would be a xenomai 3.0 beta then.

As far as I know rtnet is not part of the Xenomai project, but rather a
separate project, therefore I don't see how the lack of an rtnet release
working with xenomai 3.0 can in any way affect the xenomai release.

Cheers,
Daniele

* Re: [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-06 15:12           ` Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
From: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda @ 2014-10-06 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

A Dilluns, 6 d'octubre de 2014, Daniele Nicolodi va escriure:
> On 06/10/14 15:44, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 10:51:34AM +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> >> As you can see in the archive, rtnet is not there. But the work is
> >> not finished, that is what "candidate release" means.
> >
> > Where I work, a release candidate is one that could be released fully
> > feature complete if no bugs are found.  A work in progress is a beta.
> > As the name says, it is a candidate for a release.
> >
> > So this would be a xenomai 3.0 beta then.
>
> As far as I know rtnet is not part of the Xenomai project, but rather a
> separate project, therefore I don't see how the lack of an rtnet release
> working with xenomai 3.0 can in any way affect the xenomai release.

I'm sorry for the thread. Gilles and I interchanged some private mails some
days ago and Gilles told me that he has in his todo list to work with RTNET
for Xenomai 3.

However, I don't know which part must be upgraded: RTDM in Xenomai 3 to be
used by Rtnet or Rtnet to use Xenomai 3. Anyway, the current version of rtnet
cannot work with Xenomai 3. Probably it was upgrade Rtnet.

Till I cannot upgrade rtnet I cannot test xenomai 3.

Best regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692     PGP: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia
-------------------------------------
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
* Re: [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-06 15:30             ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-10-06 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda, xenomai

On 10/06/2014 05:12 PM, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> A Dilluns, 6 d'octubre de 2014, Daniele Nicolodi va escriure:
>>>
>>> Where I work, a release candidate is one that could be released fully
>>> feature complete if no bugs are found.  A work in progress is a beta.
>>> As the name says, it is a candidate for a release.

Ok, but the RTnet port adds functionality, with little chances to break
anything else. So, we do not risk much by adding it late in the release
cycle (only to release something broken, but since it was not there in
the first place this does not count as a regression).

>>> So this would be a xenomai 3.0 beta then.
>>
>> As far as I know rtnet is not part of the Xenomai project, but rather a
>> separate project, therefore I don't see how the lack of an rtnet release
>> working with xenomai 3.0 can in any way affect the xenomai release.
>>

> I'm sorry for the thread. Gilles and I interchanged some private mails some
> days ago and Gilles told me that he has in his todo list to work with RTNET
> for Xenomai 3.
>
> However, I don't know which part must be upgraded: RTDM in Xenomai 3 to be
> used by Rtnet or Rtnet to use Xenomai 3. Anyway, the current version of rtnet
> cannot work with Xenomai 3. Probably it was upgrade Rtnet.

RTnet must be rebased on the RTDM API changes. At this chance, we plan
to integrate this new RTnet into Xenomai, to ease the maintenance of
RTnet (at least the one for xenomai).

> Till I cannot upgrade rtnet I cannot test xenomai 3.

It would be nice if you could download it, and run xeno-test, to see if
you do not observe any regression on your hardware. Using the
"live-initramfs" to boot off an USB key should make this task really easy.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] [ANNOUNCE] Xenomai 3.0-rc1
@ 2014-10-06 15:54           ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2014-10-06 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniele Nicolodi; +Cc: xenomai

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 04:51:37PM +0200, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> As far as I know rtnet is not part of the Xenomai project, but rather a
> separate project, therefore I don't see how the lack of an rtnet release
> working with xenomai 3.0 can in any way affect the xenomai release.

Oh OK then.  rc it is then. :)

--
Len Sorensen