* Query with respect to VCPU scheduling
@ 2014-10-03 17:40 Mohan Kumar
From: Mohan Kumar @ 2014-10-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello all,

I am new to KVM and look at a particular case in KVM.
I know that KVM uses CFS.

The question I have is as follows:

- I have two VMs with 2 VCPU each. And the actual
  CPUs are also 2 and both the VMs use the 2 CPUs.

I want one VM to use only 25 % of the actual CPU and the
remaining to be used by the other VM.

Since KVM uses CFS, I am thinking that with CFS I can
provide these guarantee as mentioned above.  I know
we can do these shares with cgroups.

Is cgroups the only option?. Any pointers to this would help.

Thanks,
Mohan

* Re: Query with respect to VCPU scheduling
@ 2014-10-08  1:10 ` Wanpeng Li
From: Wanpeng Li @ 2014-10-08  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Kumar; +Cc: kvm

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 01:40:29PM -0400, Mohan Kumar wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am new to KVM and look at a particular case in KVM.
>I know that KVM uses CFS.
>
>The question I have is as follows:
>
>- I have two VMs with 2 VCPU each. And the actual
>  CPUs are also 2 and both the VMs use the 2 CPUs.
>
>I want one VM to use only 25 % of the actual CPU and the
>remaining to be used by the other VM.
>
>Since KVM uses CFS, I am thinking that with CFS I can
>provide these guarantee as mentioned above.  I know
>we can do these shares with cgroups.
>
>Is cgroups the only option?. Any pointers to this would help.

How about CFS bandwidth control?

Regards,
Wanpeng Li