* Error in losetup man page
@ 2014-10-03 14:30 Dale R. Worley
From: Dale R. Worley @ 2014-10-03 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

On Fedora 19, the man page for losetup says:

       Delete all used loop devices:

            losetup -D

That should be "Delete all *unused* loop devices:", I'm sure.

Dale

* Re: Error in losetup man page
@ 2014-10-07  9:56 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2014-10-07  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale R. Worley; +Cc: util-linux

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 10:30:39AM -0400, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> On Fedora 19, the man page for losetup says:
>
>        Delete all used loop devices:
>
>             losetup -D
>
> That should be "Delete all *unused* loop devices:", I'm sure.

"used" means loop devices that have backing file, I have replaced the
text with "Detach all associated loop devices:"

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: Error in losetup man page
@ 2014-10-07 13:34   ` Dale R. Worley
From: Dale R. Worley @ 2014-10-07 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: util-linux

> From: Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>
>
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 10:30:39AM -0400, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> > On Fedora 19, the man page for losetup says:
> >
> >        Delete all used loop devices:
> >
> >             losetup -D
> >
> > That should be "Delete all *unused* loop devices:", I'm sure.
>
> "used" means loop devices that have backing file, I have replaced the
> text with "Detach all associated loop devices:"

Does it detach loop devices that are associated and also mounted or
otherwise opened?  My test case does not attempt to do that.

So the criterion is that the loop device has to be "used" in the sense
of being associated but "not used" in the sense of being open.  Maybe
"Delete all associated loop devices that are not opened"?  (Mounting
is known to be a variety of opening.)

Dale

* Re: Error in losetup man page
@ 2014-10-14 12:54     ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2014-10-14 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale R. Worley; +Cc: util-linux

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:34:35AM -0400, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> > From: Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 10:30:39AM -0400, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> > > On Fedora 19, the man page for losetup says:
> > >
> > >        Delete all used loop devices:
> > >
> > >             losetup -D
> > >
> > > That should be "Delete all *unused* loop devices:", I'm sure.
> >
> > "used" means loop devices that have backing file, I have replaced the
> > text with "Detach all associated loop devices:"
>
> Does it detach loop devices that are associated and also mounted or
> otherwise opened?  My test case does not attempt to do that.
>
> So the criterion is that the loop device has to be "used" in the sense
> of being associated but "not used" in the sense of being open.  Maybe
> "Delete all associated loop devices that are not opened"?  (Mounting
> is known to be a variety of opening.)

 Well, I'd like to keep synopsis section brief. It would be better to
 add such details to --detach and --detach-all description where we
 can be more verbose. Any volunteer? :-)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>