* Can't build RPM of xfstests
@ 2014-10-12  6:58 Kaul, Yaniv
From: Kaul, Yaniv @ 2014-10-12  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

I'm getting the sources from https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfstests-dev (as I can't use git directly, only over HTTP(s) due to company policy)
I'm trying to compile the RPM on either CentOS 6.5 or 7, both fail identically. Log snippets:

== dist, log is Logs/dist
make: Entering directory `/var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build/build'
/bin/tar: xfstests-1.1.1/m4/general_headers.m4: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Wrote: /var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build/build/xfstests-1.1.1.src.tar.gz
=== install ===
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build'
Building include
Building lib
Building ltp
Building src
Building aio-dio-regress
Building m4
Building common
Building tests
/usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q=@ -C include install
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build'
=== tar ===
Wrote: /var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build/build/tar/xfstests-1.1.1.tar.gz
=== rpm ===
/bin/sed -e's|@pkg_name@|xfstests|g' \
	    -e's|@pkg_version@|1.1.1|g' \
	    -e's|@pkg_release@|1|g' \
	    -e's|@pkg_distribution@|Linux|g' \
	    -e's|@build_root@|/tmp/34943|g' \
	    -e'/^BuildRoot: *$/d' \
	    -e's|@make@|/usr/bin/gmake|g' < xfstests.spec.in > xfstests.spec
/usr/bin/rpmbuild -ba --rcfile ./rpm-4.rc xfstests.spec
error: File /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/xfstests-1.1.1.src.tar.gz: No such file or directory
gmake[1]: *** [dist] Error 1

OK, I manually copy the file over, and then try again:
usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q= default
/usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q= include lib ltp src m4 common tests
Building include
/usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q= -q -C include || /usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q= -C include
Building lib
/usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q= -q -C lib || /usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q= -C lib
    [LTDEP]
if [ -n "$( echo dataascii.c databin.c datapid.c file_lock.c forker.c pattern.c open_flags.c random_range.c string_to_tokens.c str_to_bytes.c tlibio.c write_log.c random.c)" ]; then \
	    gcc -MM -g -O2 -g -O2 -DDEBUG  -I../include -DVERSION=\"1.1.1\" -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -funsigned-char -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall  dataascii.c databin.c datapid.c file_lock.c forker.c pattern.c open_flags.c random_range.c string_to_tokens.c str_to_bytes.c tlibio.c write_log.c random.c | \
	    /bin/sed -e 's,^\([^:]*\)\.o,\1.lo,' > .ltdep; \
	else \
	    cp /dev/null .ltdep; \
	fi
file_lock.c:28:23: error: file_lock.h: No such file or directory
forker.c:104:20: error: forker.h: No such file or directory
open_flags.c:91:24: error: open_flags.h: No such file or directory
str_to_bytes.c:20:26: error: str_to_bytes.h: No such file or directory
    [CC] dataascii.lo
/usr/bin/libtool --quiet --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -g -O2 -DDEBUG  -I../include -DVERSION=\"1.1.1\" -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -funsigned-char -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall   -c dataascii.c
    [CC] databin.lo
/usr/bin/libtool --quiet --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -g -O2 -DDEBUG  -I../include -DVERSION=\"1.1.1\" -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -funsigned-char -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall   -c databin.c
    [CC] datapid.lo
/usr/bin/libtool --quiet --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -g -O2 -DDEBUG  -I../include -DVERSION=\"1.1.1\" -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -funsigned-char -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall   -c datapid.c
    [CC] file_lock.lo
/usr/bin/libtool --quiet --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -g -O2 -DDEBUG  -I../include -DVERSION=\"1.1.1\" -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -funsigned-char -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall   -c file_lock.c
file_lock.c:28:23: error: file_lock.h: No such file or directory
gmake[5]: *** [file_lock.lo] Error 1
gmake[4]: *** [lib] Error 2
gmake[3]: *** [default] Error 2
gmake[2]: *** [default] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.MrYMY7 (%build)

My job is simple:
yum -y install libuuid-devel xfsprogs xfsprogs-qa-devel xfsprogs-devel libattr-devel libacl-devel gcc autoconf libtool libaio-devel openssl-devel rpm-build e2fsprogs-devel
mkdir -p /var/lib/xfstests/ltp /var/lib/xfstests/src
make realclean
./Makepkgs verbose rpm

Any ideas?

* Re: Can't build RPM of xfstests
@ 2014-10-20  1:47   ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-10-20  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: xfs, fstests, esandeen

[ cc fstests@vger.kernel.org ]

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 02:58:50AM -0400, Kaul, Yaniv wrote:
> I'm getting the sources from https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfstests-dev (as I can't use git directly, only over HTTP(s) due to company policy)
> I'm trying to compile the RPM on either CentOS 6.5 or 7, both fail identically. Log snippets:
>
> == dist, log is Logs/dist
> make: Entering directory `/var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build/build'
> /bin/tar: xfstests-1.1.1/m4/general_headers.m4: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> /bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> Wrote: /var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build/build/xfstests-1.1.1.src.tar.gz
> === install ===
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build'
> Building include
> Building lib
> Building ltp
> Building src
> Building aio-dio-regress
> Building m4
> Building common
> Building tests
> /usr/bin/gmake --no-print-directory Q=@ -C include install
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build'
> === tar ===
> Wrote: /var/jenkins/workspace/xfstests-build/build/tar/xfstests-1.1.1.tar.gz
> === rpm ===
> /bin/sed -e's|@pkg_name@|xfstests|g' \
> 	    -e's|@pkg_version@|1.1.1|g' \
> 	    -e's|@pkg_release@|1|g' \
> 	    -e's|@pkg_distribution@|Linux|g' \
> 	    -e's|@build_root@|/tmp/34943|g' \
> 	    -e'/^BuildRoot: *$/d' \
> 	    -e's|@make@|/usr/bin/gmake|g' < xfstests.spec.in > xfstests.spec
> /usr/bin/rpmbuild -ba --rcfile ./rpm-4.rc xfstests.spec
> error: File /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/xfstests-1.1.1.src.tar.gz: No such file or directory
> gmake[1]: *** [dist] Error 1

I've never tried to build xfstests packages, so I'd make the
assumption that the package build infrastructure is broken and needs
fixing.  That's looking for the tarball in the wrong place. My naive
reading of that is rpmbuild is expecting to run as root, not as a
jenkins user....

Eric, you're the local RPM expert - any ideas?

FWIW, I'll take whatever patches you guys come up with that make it
build rpms properly. ;)

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-10-20  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

@ 2014-10-20  3:35     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-10-20  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: xfs, fstests, esandeen

On 10/19/14 8:47 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> [ cc fstests@vger.kernel.org ]

>> === rpm ===
>> /bin/sed -e's|@pkg_name@|xfstests|g' \
>> 	    -e's|@pkg_version@|1.1.1|g' \
>> 	    -e's|@pkg_release@|1|g' \
>> 	    -e's|@pkg_distribution@|Linux|g' \
>> 	    -e's|@build_root@|/tmp/34943|g' \
>> 	    -e'/^BuildRoot: *$/d' \
>> 	    -e's|@make@|/usr/bin/gmake|g' < xfstests.spec.in > xfstests.spec
>> /usr/bin/rpmbuild -ba --rcfile ./rpm-4.rc xfstests.spec
>> error: File /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/xfstests-1.1.1.src.tar.gz: No such file or directory
>> gmake[1]: *** [dist] Error 1
>
> I've never tried to build xfstests packages, so I'd make the
> assumption that the package build infrastructure is broken and needs
> fixing.  That's looking for the tarball in the wrong place. My naive
> reading of that is rpmbuild is expecting to run as root, not as a
> jenkins user....
>
> Eric, you're the local RPM expert - any ideas?
>
> FWIW, I'll take whatever patches you guys come up with that make it
> build rpms properly. ;)

xfstests rpms have just never been a priority for me.  I run it just fine out
of a checked-out git repo, and it doesn't require installation; on the other
hand, making it palatable for a proper FHS-compliant distro package would
require a fair bit of restructuring beyond just the packaging scripts.

And... I honestly have no idea how the Makepkgs stuff is supposed to work.

I've never been a fan of upstream containing packaging bits anyway; different
distros have different requirements, and the Makepkgs script has always seemed
weird.  RPM/specfiles are supposed to drive the build - the build isn't supposed
to drive rpm.  I think it'd be best to make a distro-specific specfile which knows how
to handle an xfstests tarball.  Trying to reverse engineer Makepkgs doesn't sound
fun to me; rpmbuild knows how to do this stuff.  Dropping a generic RPM specfile
into the top level dir would probably be enough to get it off the ground even if
it doesn't conform to any particular distro's packaging rules.

I think it's up to those who want rpms to dig into this, for now.  Dumping all
files into /opt/xfstests is probably simplest, since FHS-compliance is probably a
long ways off.

-Eric

From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-10-20  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

@ 2014-10-20 11:55       ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-10-20 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen, Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

On October 19, 2014 11:35:47 PM EDT, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@sandeen.net> wrote:
>On 10/19/14 8:47 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> [ cc fstests@vger.kernel.org ]

>>> === rpm ===
>>> /bin/sed -e's|@pkg_name@|xfstests|g' \
>>> 	    -e's|@pkg_version@|1.1.1|g' \
>>> 	    -e's|@pkg_release@|1|g' \
>>> 	    -e's|@pkg_distribution@|Linux|g' \
>>> 	    -e's|@build_root@|/tmp/34943|g' \
>>> 	    -e'/^BuildRoot: *$/d' \
>>> 	    -e's|@make@|/usr/bin/gmake|g' < xfstests.spec.in >
>xfstests.spec
>>> /usr/bin/rpmbuild -ba --rcfile ./rpm-4.rc xfstests.spec
>>> error: File /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/xfstests-1.1.1.src.tar.gz: No
>such file or directory
>>> gmake[1]: *** [dist] Error 1
>>
>> I've never tried to build xfstests packages, so I'd make the
>> assumption that the package build infrastructure is broken and needs
>> fixing.  That's looking for the tarball in the wrong place. My naive
>> reading of that is rpmbuild is expecting to run as root, not as a
>> jenkins user....
>>
>> Eric, you're the local RPM expert - any ideas?
>>
>> FWIW, I'll take whatever patches you guys come up with that make it
>> build rpms properly. ;)
>
>xfstests rpms have just never been a priority for me.  I run it just
>fine out
>of a checked-out git repo, and it doesn't require installation; on the
>other
>hand, making it palatable for a proper FHS-compliant distro package
>would
>require a fair bit of restructuring beyond just the packaging scripts.
>
>And... I honestly have no idea how the Makepkgs stuff is supposed to
>work.
>
>I've never been a fan of upstream containing packaging bits anyway;
>different
>distros have different requirements, and the Makepkgs script has always
>seemed
>weird.  RPM/specfiles are supposed to drive the build - the build isn't
>supposed
>to drive rpm.  I think it'd be best to make a distro-specific specfile
>which knows how
>to handle an xfstests tarball.  Trying to reverse engineer Makepkgs
>doesn't sound
>fun to me; rpmbuild knows how to do this stuff.  Dropping a generic RPM
>specfile
>into the top level dir would probably be enough to get it off the
>ground even if
>it doesn't conform to any particular distro's packaging rules.
>
>I think it's up to those who want rpms to dig into this, for now.
>Dumping all
>files into /opt/xfstests is probably simplest, since FHS-compliance is
>probably a
>long ways off.
>
>-Eric

Opensuse is building rpms of 1.1.1 so the build infrastructure isn't too badly broken.  I don't know if they are following FHS, but I doubt they use /opt.

The opensuse package/specfile can be found at: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/filesystems/xfstests

The rpms including the source rpm can be downloaded from:
http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=filesystems&package=xfstests

Note the specfile applies a patch to change the install aspect of the tarball immediately after untar'ing it.

I don't maintain that so I don't know why the patch is needed.

Greg

From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-10-20 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen, Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

@ 2014-10-20 13:54         ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-10-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Freemyer, Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

On 10/20/14 6:55 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> Opensuse is building rpms of 1.1.1 so the build infrastructure isn't
> too badly broken.  I don't know if they are following FHS, but I
> doubt they use /opt.

The build works fine, it's the "Makepkgs" that I think is a bit odd,
at least for RPM packaging.

Also, if we really want to encourage packaging, we should probably start
sticking official version numbers on it.  "1.1.1" was tagged in Dec 2012,
and there have been no "releases" since.

> The opensuse package/specfile can be found at:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/filesystems/xfstests
>
> The rpms including the source rpm can be downloaded from:
> http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=filesystems&package=xfstests
>
>  Note the specfile applies a patch to change the install aspect of
> the tarball immediately after untar'ing it.
>
> I don't maintain that so I don't know why the patch is needed.

Ok, cool, I'll take a look at the specfile & patch.  I had also packaged
it up for our internal QA use long ago, and had to make a few changes
as well.

-Eric

From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-10-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Freemyer, Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

@ 2014-10-20 23:08           ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-10-20 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Greg Freemyer, Kaul, Yaniv, esandeen, fstests, xfs

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 08:54:47AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 10/20/14 6:55 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
> > Opensuse is building rpms of 1.1.1 so the build infrastructure isn't
> > too badly broken.  I don't know if they are following FHS, but I
> > doubt they use /opt.
>
> The build works fine, it's the "Makepkgs" that I think is a bit odd,
> at least for RPM packaging.

It's just odd, regardless of what it is packaging.

> Also, if we really want to encourage packaging, we should probably start
> sticking official version numbers on it.  "1.1.1" was tagged in Dec 2012,
> and there have been no "releases" since.

There are more recent tags than that. There were some linux-v3.[6-8]
tags added when kernels v3.[6-8] we released. Those tags are
basically meaningless from a release perspective, though.

As it is, for the purpose of the discussion I'll argue that we don't
need official release versions or tarballs and that anyone who needs
packages for xfstests is Doing it Wrong(tm).  Realistically, the
current head commit ID works just fine as a release version and so I
don't think we don't need tarballs or released versions of xfstests.
xfstests is developer rather than end user focussed and so it is
assumed that you understand git if you have a need for running
xfstests...

i.e. this works as a test machine deployment method and is easily
scriptable and deployable on test machines:

# <install prereq packages>
# cd /opt
# git clone <xfstests git repo on build server>
# cd xfstests
# make
# <grab config file from build server>
# ./check -g auto

And with that, there is no need for packaging....

That said, xfstests needs to be flexible so it can operate in all
sorts of different environments, so how I do things really doesn't
matter that much. If people really need xfstests to build RPMs so
they can deploy RPMs, then like I said I'll take patches to make
that work...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-10-20 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: fstests, Kaul, Yaniv, esandeen, Greg Freemyer, xfs

@ 2014-10-20 23:23         ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-10-20 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Freemyer, Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

On 10/20/14 6:55 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> On October 19, 2014 11:35:47 PM EDT, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@sandeen.net> wrote:
>> On 10/19/14 8:47 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
>>> [ cc fstests@vger.kernel.org ]

>> xfstests.spec
>> such file or directory
>>>
>>> I've never tried to build xfstests packages, so I'd make the
>>> assumption that the package build infrastructure is broken and needs
>>> fixing.  That's looking for the tarball in the wrong place. My naive
>>> reading of that is rpmbuild is expecting to run as root, not as a
>>> jenkins user....
>>>
>>> Eric, you're the local RPM expert - any ideas?
>>>
>>> FWIW, I'll take whatever patches you guys come up with that make it
>>> build rpms properly. ;)
>>
>> xfstests rpms have just never been a priority for me.  I run it just
>> fine out
>> of a checked-out git repo, and it doesn't require installation; on the
>> other
>> hand, making it palatable for a proper FHS-compliant distro package
>> would
>> require a fair bit of restructuring beyond just the packaging scripts.
>>
>> And... I honestly have no idea how the Makepkgs stuff is supposed to
>> work.
>>
>> I've never been a fan of upstream containing packaging bits anyway;
>> different
>> distros have different requirements, and the Makepkgs script has always
>> seemed
>> weird.  RPM/specfiles are supposed to drive the build - the build isn't
>> supposed
>> to drive rpm.  I think it'd be best to make a distro-specific specfile
>> which knows how
>> to handle an xfstests tarball.  Trying to reverse engineer Makepkgs
>> doesn't sound
>> fun to me; rpmbuild knows how to do this stuff.  Dropping a generic RPM
>> specfile
>> into the top level dir would probably be enough to get it off the
>> ground even if
>> it doesn't conform to any particular distro's packaging rules.
>>
>> I think it's up to those who want rpms to dig into this, for now.
>> Dumping all
>> files into /opt/xfstests is probably simplest, since FHS-compliance is
>> probably a
>> long ways off.
>>
>> -Eric
>
> Opensuse is building rpms of 1.1.1 so the build infrastructure isn't
> too badly broken. I don't know if they are following FHS, but I doubt
> they use /opt.

Ok, they put it all into /var/lib - maybe that does satisfy LFS, I dunno.

> The opensuse package/specfile can be found at: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/filesystems/xfstests
>
> The rpms including the source rpm can be downloaded from:
> http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=filesystems&package=xfstests
>
> Note the specfile applies a patch to change the install aspect of the tarball immediately after untar'ing it.

Yep, doesn't do much - s/LTINSTALL/INSTALL/ pretty much.

Looks like a fine place to start.

Rather than using Makepkgs, it may make more sense to just drop a sane generic
.spec file into the top dir, then rpmbuild -ta <tarball> would work.

But then ... we don't distribute xfstests tarballs ... ;)

-Eric

From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-10-20 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Freemyer, Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv; +Cc: esandeen, fstests, xfs

@ 2014-10-20 23:31             ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-10-20 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, Kaul, Yaniv, Eric Sandeen, fstests, xfs

--
Greg Freemyer

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 08:54:47AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> On 10/20/14 6:55 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>
>> > Opensuse is building rpms of 1.1.1 so the build infrastructure isn't
>> > too badly broken.  I don't know if they are following FHS, but I
>> > doubt they use /opt.
>>
>> The build works fine, it's the "Makepkgs" that I think is a bit odd,
>> at least for RPM packaging.
>
> It's just odd, regardless of what it is packaging.
>
>> Also, if we really want to encourage packaging, we should probably start
>> sticking official version numbers on it.  "1.1.1" was tagged in Dec 2012,
>> and there have been no "releases" since.
>
> There are more recent tags than that. There were some linux-v3.[6-8]
> tags added when kernels v3.[6-8] we released. Those tags are
> basically meaningless from a release perspective, though.
>
> As it is, for the purpose of the discussion I'll argue that we don't
> need official release versions or tarballs and that anyone who needs
> packages for xfstests is Doing it Wrong(tm).

A potential use case with openSUSE and why I "think" they packaged it
is to include a subset of xfstest in there automated testing.

As of the last 9 months openSUSE's "factory" release has adopted a
rolling release mechanism similar to rawhide, but possibly a little
more reliable.

Many submissions to factory (the rawhide equivalent) are pushed
through a ring of automated QA tests.

Separately on a daily basis the entire current factory release is
pushed through a series of automated QA tests.

If all QA tests pass, then a full factory snapshot is automatically
released for end-user incorporation.

My hope is that xfstests is packaged by openSUSE so it can easily be
incorporated into that series of automated tests.

If they are not yet doing that, then having xfstests packaged
simplifies the future incorporation of xfstests into the auto-QA
cycle.

Overview: https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/

Table of automated test results:
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/

Notice for example that ext4 is a testsuite selection in the testsuite
pull down.  I assume that testsuite uses xfstests to exercise ext4
prior to an automated release of factory.

The 2014-10-17 build of a couple days ago is an example of a build
that failed the ext4 testsuite:
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/27955

The 2014-10-18 build on the otherhand worked:
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/28263

It is interesting to look through the various screen shots captured by
the automated test system.

I don't see automated tests for xfs or btrfs which is a surprise since
both of them are default filesystem choices for factory.  (btrfs is
the default choice for / and xfs is the default for /home).

Note: openSUSE still will do formal releases and the next one is
openSUSE 13.2 due out next month.  13.2 should be getting lots of
manual testing in addition to the automated QA testing.

Greg

From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-10-20 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: Kaul, Yaniv, Eric Sandeen, Eric Sandeen, fstests, xfs

--

@ 2014-10-20 23:57               ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-10-20 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Freemyer; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, Kaul, Yaniv, Eric Sandeen, fstests, xfs

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 07:31:50PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> --
> Greg Freemyer
>

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:

> >> The build works fine, it's the "Makepkgs" that I think is a bit odd,
> >> at least for RPM packaging.
> >
> > It's just odd, regardless of what it is packaging.
> >
> >> Also, if we really want to encourage packaging, we should probably start
> >> sticking official version numbers on it.  "1.1.1" was tagged in Dec 2012,
> >> and there have been no "releases" since.
> >
> > There are more recent tags than that. There were some linux-v3.[6-8]
> > tags added when kernels v3.[6-8] we released. Those tags are
> > basically meaningless from a release perspective, though.
> >
> > As it is, for the purpose of the discussion I'll argue that we don't
> > need official release versions or tarballs and that anyone who needs
> > packages for xfstests is Doing it Wrong(tm).
>
> A potential use case with openSUSE and why I "think" they packaged it
> is to include a subset of xfstest in there automated testing.

Sure - i'm just pointing out that you don't need RPM to do that -
git it just as good for deploying automated testing infrastructure
;)

> Notice for example that ext4 is a testsuite selection in the testsuite
> pull down.  I assume that testsuite uses xfstests to exercise ext4
> prior to an automated release of factory.
>
> The 2014-10-17 build of a couple days ago is an example of a build
> that failed the ext4 testsuite:
> https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/27955

That doesn't appear to anything to do with xfstests. It appears to
be a "can we install opensuse" installer test that happens to be run
on ext4. i.e. it's really product level testing (i.e. whether the
opensuse build worked) not whether the filesystem works as it's
supposed to.

> I don't see automated tests for xfs or btrfs which is a surprise since
> both of them are default filesystem choices for factory.  (btrfs is
> the default choice for / and xfs is the default for /home).

Seeing as it's not actually doing filesystem level testing, it
probably doesn't matter at all.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-10-20 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Freemyer; +Cc: Kaul, Yaniv, Eric Sandeen, Eric Sandeen, fstests, xfs

@ 2014-10-21  3:15           ` Eryu Guan
From: Eryu Guan @ 2014-10-21  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fstests; +Cc: Greg Freemyer, Dave Chinner, Kaul, Yaniv, esandeen, xfs

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 08:54:47AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 10/20/14 6:55 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
> > Opensuse is building rpms of 1.1.1 so the build infrastructure isn't
> > too badly broken.  I don't know if they are following FHS, but I
> > doubt they use /opt.
>
> The build works fine, it's the "Makepkgs" that I think is a bit odd,
> at least for RPM packaging.
>
> Also, if we really want to encourage packaging, we should probably start
> sticking official version numbers on it.  "1.1.1" was tagged in Dec 2012,
> and there have been no "releases" since.
>
> > The opensuse package/specfile can be found at:
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/filesystems/xfstests
> >
> > The rpms including the source rpm can be downloaded from:
> > http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=filesystems&package=xfstests
> >
> >  Note the specfile applies a patch to change the install aspect of
> > the tarball immediately after untar'ing it.
> >
> > I don't maintain that so I don't know why the patch is needed.
>
> Ok, cool, I'll take a look at the specfile & patch.  I had also packaged
> it up for our internal QA use long ago, and had to make a few changes
> as well.

This is the spec file used internally by Red Hat, just for your reference

Thanks,
Eryu

Name:	    xfstests
Version:    20141014
Release:    1.git

Group:	    	misc
License:	GPL
Source0:        $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/SOURCES/xfstests-dev.tar.bz2
BuildRoot:      %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

BuildRequires:	autoconf, libtool, e2fsprogs-devel, xfsprogs-devel
BuildRequires:	libacl-devel, libattr-devel, libaio-devel
Requires:       bash, perl, acl, attr, bind-utils
Requires:	bc, indent, quota, xfsprogs

%description
The xfsqa test available at http://git.kernel.org/?p=fs/xfs/xfstests-dev.git or http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfstests.git

%prep
%setup -q -n xfstests-dev

%build
autoheader
autoconf
%configure
make %{?_smp_mflags}

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
# Dirty workaround, xfstets won't build if these two directories do not exist...
mkdir -p /var/lib/xfstests/{ltp,src}

make DIST_ROOT=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT