* xfstests failures w/ metadata_csum
@ 2014-12-01 20:20 Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2014-12-01 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Whitney; +Cc: linux-ext4

Hi Eric,

Could you remind me which xfstests are failing in 3.18-rc3+ with metadata_csum
enabled?  I think you said generic/034, generic/321, and generic/322, but were
there more?

AFAICT the ext4 mount fails because it can't load the journal, and the journal
can't replay because jbd2_descr_block_csum_verify() fails; the 034 test appears
to drop all the writes related to the umount.  recovery.c doesn't say anything
when the journal descriptor block fails csum verification, though it should.
Not sure why we end up with corrupt-looking descriptor blocks.

The reason why this appears in -rc3 is because that's when we added the patch
that forces journal_checksum on whenever metadata_csum is on, and I guess
few people were testing journal_checksum with xfstests before that.

--D

* Re: xfstests failures w/ metadata_csum
@ 2014-12-01 22:02 ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2014-12-01 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: linux-ext4, Eric Whitney

CRAP.

The real cause of the regression that Eric reported is: The first time we
enable journal_checksum on a journal, we fail to set the checksum seed because
the seed calculation is gated on jbd2_journal_has_csum_v2or3() ... before we
actually set the superblock feature fields!  Yikes!

The fix is to get rid of the braindead check and always calculate the seed.

I will have a regression fix for 3.18-rc7 out shortly.

(I'll also post a patch to complain loudly, but that isn't critical.)

--D

@ 2014-12-01 22:05 ` Eric Whitney
From: Eric Whitney @ 2014-12-01 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darrick J. Wong; +Cc: Eric Whitney, linux-ext4

* Darrick J. Wong <darrick.wong@oracle.com>:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Could you remind me which xfstests are failing in 3.18-rc3+ with metadata_csum
> enabled?  I think you said generic/034, generic/321, and generic/322, but were
> there more?

Hi Darrick:

The other failing test is generic/325 - you've got the others right.  Note that
I may be an xfstests version ahead of xfstests-bld, so depending on what you're
running, you may not see all of those.  (Gonna stick closer to xfstests-bld
from now on.)  The failures are the same in the inline data test scenario.

Thanks for looking at this!

Eric