* Re: [LTP] Full nohz test
       [not found] <20141208164328.41386591@mats-desktop>
@ 2014-12-08 17:06 ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2014-12-08 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mats Liljegren; +Cc: ltp-list

Hi!
> I'm (still...) working on a new test case for testing the NO_HZ_FULL
> kernel feature available from Linux 3.10. This test code depends on a
> tool that performs CPU isolation, which is a requirement for the
> NO_HZ_FULL to work.
>
> It was previously proposed that this tool, rt-tools, would be a git
> submodule to ltp. That sounded good in the beginning, until I started
> to think about cross-compile, altering install location, etc. Since
> rt-tools uses cmake, and ltp uses autotools, there is no automatic
> inheritance of configuration. It would therefore be easy to miss copying
> some configuration from configure to the cmake invocation, causing
> surprises.
>
> Since the test case is not intended to be part of default, I suggest
> the simple solution: Just document in the README file that this test
> case requires that the rt-tools are built and installed before the test
> case is run on target, and instructions how to get started with that.

Sounds ok to me. If the tool installs binaries somewhere to the $PATH
you just have to assert that these are installed. For bash code there is
tst_check_cmds function. For C code you can probably use tst_get_path().

In short make sure that the test exits louldy if these are not installed
and point the user to a README in the message.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-12-08 17:06 UTC | newest]