* [Qemu-devel] Press Inquiry: Qemu Advent Calendar (German Linux Magazin)
@ 2015-01-08 22:20 Tim Schürmann
From: Tim Schürmann @ 2015-01-08 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, stefanha

Hi!

I'm responsible for the content of the DVD that is shipped with each
printed issue of the german Linux Magazin.

I would like to ask, if we could use the Qemu images/virtual machines
from your Qemu Advent Calendar 2014 (well at least the ones with
Open-Source-Software :)).

Best regards,

Tim Schürmann
Freelance author (for the Linux Magazin)
info@tim-schuermann.de
www.tim-schuermann.de

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Press Inquiry: Qemu Advent Calendar (German Linux Magazin)
@ 2015-01-09 10:12 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-01-09 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Schürmann; +Cc: qemu-devel, matthew.hungerford

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:20:14PM +0100, Tim Schürmann wrote:
> I'm responsible for the content of the DVD that is shipped with each printed
> issue of the german Linux Magazin.
>
> I would like to ask, if we could use the Qemu images/virtual machines from
> your Qemu Advent Calendar 2014 (well at least the ones with
> Open-Source-Software :)).

Hi,
Sure, they are freely redistributable and you are welcome to do that.

The http://qemu-advent-calendar.org/ website has credits for each disk
image showing who created the image.  For example, "Disk image prepared
by Alexander Graf, game by Jochen Voss".  Please include the credits.

In order to comply with the license on GPL images you will need to offer
the source code (see links on http://qemu-advent-calendar.org/ for each
image).

The shareware DOS games are freely redistributable so you can publish
that image too.

The Zork UEFI image requires internet access because the Zork game
binary is *not* freely redistributable.  When you run the image it
prompts the user to download the Zork binary since we are not allowed to
distribute it ourselves.

I'm CCing Matthew Hungerford at Pebble to confirm that the Pebble
Smartwatch image can also be distributed.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 473 bytes --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Press Inquiry: Qemu Advent Calendar (German Linux Magazin)
@ 2015-01-13 12:35   ` Tim Schürmann
From: Tim Schürmann @ 2015-01-13 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, matthew.hungerford

Hi,

first of all, sorry for the late answer and thanks for your quick reply.

> The http://qemu-advent-calendar.org/ website has credits for each disk
> image showing who created the image.  For example, "Disk image prepared
> by Alexander Graf, game by Jochen Voss".  Please include the credits.

Sure, we will add these credits in our HTML menu on the DVD.

> In order to comply with the license on GPL images you will need to offer
> the source code (see links on http://qemu-advent-calendar.org/ for each
> image).

The Ubuntu Core and Ceph sourcecodes won't fit on our DVD. So we have to
provide links to the corresponding websites. Is this Ok with you? (My
editor-in-chief said that this conform with the GPL.)

> The shareware DOS games are freely redistributable so you can publish
> that image too.
>
> The Zork UEFI image requires internet access because the Zork game
> binary is *not* freely redistributable.  When you run the image it
> prompts the user to download the Zork binary since we are not allowed to
> distribute it ourselves.

I will note this in the HTML menu on the DVD.

> I'm CCing Matthew Hungerford at Pebble to confirm that the Pebble
> Smartwatch image can also be distributed.

Did you got an answer already?

Best regards,

Tim Schürmann
Freelance author

@ 2015-01-13 12:43     ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2015-01-13 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Schürmann; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel, matthew.hungerford

  Hi,

> > The Zork UEFI image requires internet access because the Zork game
> > binary is *not* freely redistributable.  When you run the image it
> > prompts the user to download the Zork binary since we are not allowed to
> > distribute it ourselves.
>
> I will note this in the HTML menu on the DVD.

Minor correction:  The image will download zork data files,
automatically.  It may prompt the user to install mtools if they are not
installed as they are needed to prepare the disk image with the
downloaded data file.

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Press Inquiry: Qemu Advent Calendar (German Linux Magazin)
@ 2015-01-15 14:47     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-01-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Schürmann; +Cc: qemu-devel, matthew.hungerford

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 01:35:55PM +0100, Tim Schürmann wrote:

Hi Tim,

> >In order to comply with the license on GPL images you will need to offer
> >the source code (see links on http://qemu-advent-calendar.org/ for each
> >image).
>
> The Ubuntu Core and Ceph sourcecodes won't fit on our DVD. So we have to
> provide links to the corresponding websites. Is this Ok with you? (My
> editor-in-chief said that this conform with the GPL.)

I am not the (only) copyright holder of Ubuntu Core or Ceph, and I'm not
a lawyer.  You need to decide whether you are in compliance or not.

My plan is to keep http://qemu-advent-calendar.org/ running in the
foreseeable future so the sources should remain accessible.  If you
mirror the sources it would be best - that way you can continue
providing source even if http://qemu-advent-calendar.org/ were to go
offline.

> >I'm CCing Matthew Hungerford at Pebble to confirm that the Pebble
> >Smartwatch image can also be distributed.
>
> Did you got an answer already?

Yes, Matthew responded.  It was a Reply instead of Reply-All.  I forgot
to forward you his response (sorry):

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 11:12:52 -0800
From: Matthew Hungerford <matthew.hungerford@getpebble.com>

  Sounds great,

  One of my german coworkers is a fan of Linux Magazin, and would get a
  kick out if it being featured there.

  Thanks for asking,
  Matthew

All the best,

@ 2015-01-15 21:18       ` Tim Schürmann
From: Tim Schürmann @ 2015-01-15 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, matthew.hungerford

Hi Stefan,

if nothing went wrong the (whole) advent calendar will be on the DVD
published with the Linux Magazin issue 03/2015. The release date is the
05. Feb. 2015 (in germany).

Best regards,

Tim Schürmann
info@tim-schuermann.de

@ 2015-01-15 22:13         ` Matthew Hungerford
From: Matthew Hungerford @ 2015-01-15 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Schürmann; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

Sounds awesome, will have to order some copies for our office.

Sorry about the earlier email not being reply-all, was on mobile email and
sent it incorrectly.

Matthew Hungerford
Pebble Firmware Engineer

@ 2015-01-19 13:33         ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-01-19 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Schürmann; +Cc: qemu-devel, Matthew Hungerford

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Tim Schürmann <info@tim-schuermann.de> wrote:
> if nothing went wrong the (whole) advent calendar will be on the DVD
> published with the Linux Magazin issue 03/2015. The release date is the 05.
> Feb. 2015 (in germany).

Cool :)

Stefan