* Cannot boot RTLinux
@ 2015-01-22 19:39 Dorian VEGARA
From: Dorian VEGARA @ 2015-01-22 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to boot RTLinux but I'm encountering problems to load it.
I patched successfully the Linux kernel (version 3.14.25) with the
RTLinux one (3.14.25 too).

Then, I typed this command :
make defconfig (in the linux-patched-repertory). It chose the x86_64 defconfig.

After it, I typed make && make modules_install. The x86-only bzImage
has been created.
The modules have been installed properly. The last message is "DEPMOD
3.14.25-rt22".

The GRUB2 configuration is OK. But when I boot RTLinux, it crashes.
A "Warning CPU" message appears :
http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2015/01/22/150122084114722488.jpg

Could anyone tell me what is wrong please ?
Here is a PowerPoint document to explain in details the bug and what
exactly I did :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxBRiO4INcfxWnltOFZDeDNBZmM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot !
Best regards,

* Re: Cannot boot RTLinux
@ 2015-01-23  7:28 ` Ralf Mardorf
From: Ralf Mardorf @ 2015-01-23  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt users

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 20:39:34 +0100, Dorian VEGARA wrote:
> The GRUB2 configuration is OK.

Are you sure?
Isn't there missing something similar too
linux	/boot/foo root=UUID=1234 ro
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
initrd	/boot/init*-foo
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
?

> http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2015/01/22/150122084114722488.jpg
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxBRiO4INcfxWnltOFZDeDNBZmM/view?usp=sharing

I didn't read all the screenshots, consider to post ASCII log files
instead of photos and the output of
> uname -a
Does it include PREEMPT RT?

You can quasi chroot in by

# systemd-nspawn -D /mnt/point/of/your/suse

to get ASCII output of the odd binary journalctl files and uname.

* Re: Cannot boot RTLinux
@ 2015-01-23 13:23 ` Dorian VEGARA
From: Dorian VEGARA @ 2015-01-23 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hi,

I tried to boot Linux kernel without the RTLinux patch. The same bug
appears. So, it's clear that RTLinux doesn't cause the problem.

Here is my GRUB2 configuration :

menuentry 'Linux' {
 insmod gzio
 insmod part_msdos
 insmod btrfs
 set root='hd0,msdos6'
 linux /boot/linux
}

 "root=UUID=[...]" didn't fix the bug.
What am I supposed to write instead of "-foo" in the initrd
instruction ? "-linux-3.14.25" for example ?

Here is the file generated by the command "make defoncfig" :
http://textup.fr/116850NO
And here, the log file generated by the command > sh -c "make && make
modules_config > leFichierLog 2>&1"   : http://textup.fr/116855TB

Do you believe the bug could be due to the CPU configuration (I didn't
specified what sort of CPU is used exactly - I typed the command make
defconfig) ?

Thanks a lot.
Best regards,

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to boot RTLinux but I'm encountering problems to load it.
> I patched successfully the Linux kernel (version 3.14.25) with the
> RTLinux one (3.14.25 too).
>
> Then, I typed this command :
> make defconfig (in the linux-patched-repertory). It chose the x86_64 defconfig.
>
> After it, I typed make && make modules_install. The x86-only bzImage
> has been created.
> The modules have been installed properly. The last message is "DEPMOD
> 3.14.25-rt22".
>
> The GRUB2 configuration is OK. But when I boot RTLinux, it crashes.
> A "Warning CPU" message appears :
> http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2015/01/22/150122084114722488.jpg
>
> Could anyone tell me what is wrong please ?
> Here is a PowerPoint document to explain in details the bug and what
> exactly I did :
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxBRiO4INcfxWnltOFZDeDNBZmM/view?usp=sharing
>

> Thanks a lot !
> Best regards,

* Re: Cannot boot RTLinux
@ 2015-01-23 17:36   ` Ralf Mardorf
From: Ralf Mardorf @ 2015-01-23 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 14:23:03 +0100, Dorian VEGARA wrote:
> What am I supposed to write instead of "-foo" in the initrd
> instruction ? "-linux-3.14.25" for example ?

Is there a initramfs or initrd for your kernel in /boot?

> http://textup.fr/116850NO

I've got no time to read it.

I would copy the config of the distro's default kernel and run make
oldconfig to add rt settings.

> Do you believe the bug could be due to the CPU configuration (I didn't
> specified what sort of CPU is used exactly

No, in my experiences it doesn't make a difference, if you e.g. use
CONFIG_MK8=y
for Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
or the distro's default.

I usually don't use "manuall" mkinitcpio, I prefer to use the tools to
build kernel packages for Debian/Ubuntu and Arch Linux. When I used
Suse, I build the kernel the "old school" way without tools.

* Re: Cannot boot RTLinux
@ 2015-01-25 20:19   ` Dorian VEGARA
From: Dorian VEGARA @ 2015-01-25 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Mardorf; +Cc: linux-rt users

Hello,

Ralf, you was right : I typed the root=UUID=[...] and the initrd line
in the GRUB2 config file and now, I can boot RTLinux.

However, another problem appeared. I believe mouse and keyboard are
not recognized.

In fact, when RTLinux is booted :
1. First, the graphical display is shown. There is nothing, except the
same desktop-background-image than my OpenSUZE's one. Even the mouse's
cursor isn't shown.
2. Secondly, after I typed CTRL+ALT+F10, the command line display
appears. That's OK. But there is a problem... : I can't do nothing.
When I type something with my keyboard, nothing appears in the
console. For example, if I type the letter 'a', then it won't be
printed in the console.

So : do you think the mouse and the keyboard aren't recognized by the kernel ?

Thanks a lot,
Best regards