* whereis search path
@ 2015-01-27  6:33 Brandon Vincent
From: Brandon Vincent @ 2015-01-27  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Out of curiosity, it looks like the search path for whereis is hard coded.

Was the inclusion of /usr/share/info ever considered?

Brandon Vincent

* Re: whereis search path
@ 2015-01-27  9:56 ` Sami Kerola
From: Sami Kerola @ 2015-01-27  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Vincent; +Cc: util-linux

On 27 January 2015 at 06:33, Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent@asu.edu> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, it looks like the search path for whereis is hard coded.

Hi Brandon,

The whereis(1) default paths are indeed hard coded.

https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/blob/master/misc-utils/whereis.c#L96

With -B, -M, and -S option arguments additional paths can be
specified, but that is not what you are asking.

> Was the inclusion of /usr/share/info ever considered?

As far I can tell inclusion of the info directory has not been
considered. I recon the /usr/share/info is closest to manuals category
from the three options, and it feels like reasonable addition.

Any other opinions? And should this change be done before or after
release v2.25?

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/

* Re: whereis search path
@ 2015-01-28  7:32   ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2015-01-28  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kerolasa; +Cc: Brandon Vincent, util-linux

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 09:56:04AM +0000, Sami Kerola wrote:
> Any other opinions? And should this change be done before or after
> release v2.25?

 Sounds like trivial change, I think we can add it to v2.26.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: whereis search path
@ 2015-02-02 10:24   ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2015-02-02 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kerolasa; +Cc: Brandon Vincent, util-linux

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 09:56:04AM +0000, Sami Kerola wrote:
> > Was the inclusion of /usr/share/info ever considered?
>
> As far I can tell inclusion of the info directory has not been
> considered. I recon the /usr/share/info is closest to manuals category
> from the three options, and it feels like reasonable addition.
>
> Any other opinions? And should this change be done before or after
> release v2.25?

 Fixed.

 old version:

    $ whereis parted
    parted: /usr/sbin/parted /usr/share/man/man8/parted.8.gz

 new version:
    $ whereis parted
    parted: /usr/sbin/parted /usr/share/man/man8/parted.8.gz /usr/share/info/parted.info.gz

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com