* [Ocfs2-devel] ocfs2-tools.git is moving, ocfs2 web site plans
@ 2015-02-06 21:02 Mark Fasheh
From: Mark Fasheh @ 2015-02-06 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

Hi all,

I used to have commit access to ocfs2-tools.git but legitimate
security concerns at Oracle have no longer made that possible. Moving
forward, I will host the official ocfs2-tools.git in my github:

https://github.com/markfasheh/ocfs2-tools

I started with a mirror of what's on oss.oracle.com. Both Srini and Goldwyn
have commit access to the repo. The way we commit should not change -
patches need to have at least one reviewed-by (as well as a sign-off). If
anyone feels strongly that they should also have commit access, let me know.

I will send a patch to update our kernel documentation regarding the
location of ocfs2-tools.git shortly.

The other issue I wanted to discuss was the 'official' ocfs2 web
page. By 'official', I mean the page we refer users to in our kernel
documentation. Right now it's http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2
which is somewhat Oracle specific, but more importantly has the same
restrictions as the git tree (I or other interested parties can no
longer edit it).

I'm looking into securing ourselves a new 'official' page, which can give a
description of Ocfs2 and also link to any Oracle or SUSE pages, so their
users know where to go. Again I don't envision anything at SUSE or Oracle
has to change here, just that if someone opens up linux-2.6.git/fs/ocfs2.txt
it points them somewhere common to all Ocfs2 development (and we can branch
out from there). Also, in the future it would be nice if we put design docs
on an official site.

Right now I'm hoping I can get ocfs2.wiki.kernel.org going, otherwise I
could always put it in another github project (or the ocfs2-tools project).
If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Also if anyone could help
with any web/wiki for the project, also let me know. Both wiki.kernel.org
and github wikis allow multiple collaborators.

Thanks,
    --Mark

--
Mark Fasheh

* [Ocfs2-devel] ocfs2-tools.git is moving, ocfs2 web site plans
@ 2015-02-09  3:39 ` zren
From: zren @ 2015-02-09  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

Hi Mark and all,
I am wondering whether this plan will also cover ocfs2-test project.

I noticed that ocfs2-test on oss.oracle.com has not any update since
2012-03-15.
However,there are two branches on github I found which have some
updates. They are:
1. pibroch/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/pibroch/ocfs2-test and
2. goldwynr/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/goldwynr/ocfs2-test/tree/suse.

Any information about this issue is appreciated.

Thanks,
         -- zhen
On 2015?02?07? 05:02, Mark Fasheh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used to have commit access to ocfs2-tools.git but legitimate
> security concerns at Oracle have no longer made that possible. Moving
> forward, I will host the official ocfs2-tools.git in my github:
>
> https://github.com/markfasheh/ocfs2-tools
>
> I started with a mirror of what's on oss.oracle.com. Both Srini and Goldwyn
> have commit access to the repo. The way we commit should not change -
> patches need to have at least one reviewed-by (as well as a sign-off). If
> anyone feels strongly that they should also have commit access, let me know.
>
> I will send a patch to update our kernel documentation regarding the
> location of ocfs2-tools.git shortly.
>
> The other issue I wanted to discuss was the 'official' ocfs2 web
> page. By 'official', I mean the page we refer users to in our kernel
> documentation. Right now it's http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2
> which is somewhat Oracle specific, but more importantly has the same
> restrictions as the git tree (I or other interested parties can no
> longer edit it).
>
> I'm looking into securing ourselves a new 'official' page, which can give a
> description of Ocfs2 and also link to any Oracle or SUSE pages, so their
> users know where to go. Again I don't envision anything at SUSE or Oracle
> has to change here, just that if someone opens up linux-2.6.git/fs/ocfs2.txt
> it points them somewhere common to all Ocfs2 development (and we can branch
> out from there). Also, in the future it would be nice if we put design docs
> on an official site.
>
> Right now I'm hoping I can get ocfs2.wiki.kernel.org going, otherwise I
> could always put it in another github project (or the ocfs2-tools project).
> If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Also if anyone could help
> with any web/wiki for the project, also let me know. Both wiki.kernel.org
> and github wikis allow multiple collaborators.
>
> Thanks,
>      --Mark
>
> --
> Mark Fasheh

Zhen, Ren
HA team, SUSE

* [Ocfs2-devel] ocfs2-tools.git is moving, ocfs2 web site plans
@ 2015-02-12 23:26   ` Mark Fasheh
From: Mark Fasheh @ 2015-02-12 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 11:39:32AM +0800, zren wrote:
> Hi Mark and all,
> I am wondering whether this plan will also cover ocfs2-test project.

No, I kind of left it out because I forgot!

> I noticed that ocfs2-test on oss.oracle.com has not any update since
> 2012-03-15.
> However,there are two branches on github I found which have some
> updates. They are:
> 1. pibroch/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/pibroch/ocfs2-test and
> 2. goldwynr/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/goldwynr/ocfs2-test/tree/suse.
>
> Any information about this issue is appreciated.

I'll take a look at the branches to see what's different. I'll go ahead nad
mirror the repository on my github. If everyone would rather do development
there, then I can help out with review, etc. Generally though ocfs2-test is
getting even fewer updates these days than ocfs2-tools.
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh

* [Ocfs2-devel] ocfs2-tools.git is moving, ocfs2 web site plans
@ 2015-02-13  2:13     ` Gang He
From: Gang He @ 2015-02-13  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

Hi Mark,

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 11:39:32AM +0800, zren wrote:
>> Hi Mark and all,
>> I am wondering whether this plan will also cover ocfs2-test project.
>
> No, I kind of left it out because I forgot!
>

>> I noticed that ocfs2-test on oss.oracle.com has not any update since
>> 2012-03-15.
>> However,there are two branches on github I found which have some
>> updates. They are:
>> 1. pibroch/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/pibroch/ocfs2-test and
>> 2. goldwynr/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/goldwynr/ocfs2-test/tree/suse.
>>
>> Any information about this issue is appreciated.
>
> I'll take a look at the branches to see what's different. I'll go ahead nad
> mirror the repository on my github. If everyone would rather do development
> there, then I can help out with review, etc. Generally though ocfs2-test is
> getting even fewer updates these days than ocfs2-tools.
> 	--Mark

Thank for your response, for SuSe distribution, in the past days it always uses the source code from goldwynr/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/goldwynr/ocfs2-test/tree/suse.
but now, Goldwyn will take most efforts in other projects, Zhen and I will take it from him for adding some fixes, to let the whole test cases run under OpenSuSe13.2 with ocfs2-tools v1.8.3.
we forked Goldwyn's branch to https://github.com/ganghe/ocfs2-test, if you have time for review, you can look at the change logs. Or, you can fork the branch from Goldwyn, then we pull the changes to you.
Thanks
Gang

@ 2015-02-13 22:46       ` Mark Fasheh
From: Mark Fasheh @ 2015-02-13 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 07:13:52PM -0700, Gang He wrote:
> Thank for your response, for SuSe distribution, in the past days it always uses the source code from goldwynr/ocfs2-test: https://github.com/goldwynr/ocfs2-test/tree/suse.
> but now, Goldwyn will take most efforts in other projects, Zhen and I will take it from him for adding some fixes, to let the whole test cases run under OpenSuSe13.2 with ocfs2-tools v1.8.3.
> we forked Goldwyn's branch to https://github.com/ganghe/ocfs2-test, if you have time for review, you can look at the change logs. Or, you can fork the branch from Goldwyn, then we pull the changes to you.
> Thanks
> Gang

Ok, that works once I get a chance I'll make a copy of ocfs2-test and check
out those patches. For now if using Goldwyn's repo is working for you, go
ahead and work on top of that.

Thanks,
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh

* [Ocfs2-devel] Update: Re: ocfs2-tools.git is moving, ocfs2 web site plans
@ 2015-02-13 22:56 ` Mark Fasheh
From: Mark Fasheh @ 2015-02-13 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 01:02:03PM -0800, Mark Fasheh wrote:
> The other issue I wanted to discuss was the 'official' ocfs2 web
> page. By 'official', I mean the page we refer users to in our kernel
> documentation. Right now it's http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2
> which is somewhat Oracle specific, but more importantly has the same
> restrictions as the git tree (I or other interested parties can no
> longer edit it).
>
> I'm looking into securing ourselves a new 'official' page, which can give a
> description of Ocfs2 and also link to any Oracle or SUSE pages, so their
> users know where to go. Again I don't envision anything at SUSE or Oracle
> has to change here, just that if someone opens up linux-2.6.git/fs/ocfs2.txt
> it points them somewhere common to all Ocfs2 development (and we can branch
> out from there). Also, in the future it would be nice if we put design docs
> on an official site.
>
> Right now I'm hoping I can get ocfs2.wiki.kernel.org going, otherwise I
> could always put it in another github project (or the ocfs2-tools project).
> If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Also if anyone could help
> with any web/wiki for the project, also let me know. Both wiki.kernel.org
> and github wikis allow multiple collaborators.

The fine folks at kernel.org have given us a wiki:

https://ocfs2.wiki.kernel.org/

It is very bare right now, but I made sure to link to as much important
information as possible (including the oss.oracle.com page). From what I
understand, you should be able to edit it with your Linux Foundation ID. If
you don't have one, it's very simple to create:

https://identity.linuxfoundation.org/

If anyone is willing to help with this, I would appreciate it, otherwise
I'll fill things in at my own pace. In particular, I'd like to import our
old design docs from:

https://oss.oracle.com/osswiki/OCFS2.html

In general, I feel these would also be good to have on the wiki:

- some examples where Ocfs2 is used and why it's good there (web servers, virtual machines, databases)

- more information on our feature set (in particular, reflink)

I should be sending a patch to update our kernel docs with the new git /
homepage links shortly.

Thanks,
	--Mark

--

@ 2015-02-19 13:16   ` Goldwyn Rodrigues
From: Goldwyn Rodrigues @ 2015-02-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

Hi Mark,

On 02/13/2015 04:56 PM, Mark Fasheh wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 01:02:03PM -0800, Mark Fasheh wrote:
>> The other issue I wanted to discuss was the 'official' ocfs2 web
>> page. By 'official', I mean the page we refer users to in our kernel
>> documentation. Right now it's http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2
>> which is somewhat Oracle specific, but more importantly has the same
>> restrictions as the git tree (I or other interested parties can no
>> longer edit it).
>>
>> I'm looking into securing ourselves a new 'official' page, which can give a
>> description of Ocfs2 and also link to any Oracle or SUSE pages, so their
>> users know where to go. Again I don't envision anything at SUSE or Oracle
>> has to change here, just that if someone opens up linux-2.6.git/fs/ocfs2.txt
>> it points them somewhere common to all Ocfs2 development (and we can branch
>> out from there). Also, in the future it would be nice if we put design docs
>> on an official site.
>>
>> Right now I'm hoping I can get ocfs2.wiki.kernel.org going, otherwise I
>> could always put it in another github project (or the ocfs2-tools project).
>> If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Also if anyone could help
>> with any web/wiki for the project, also let me know. Both wiki.kernel.org
>> and github wikis allow multiple collaborators.
>
> The fine folks at kernel.org have given us a wiki:
>
> https://ocfs2.wiki.kernel.org/
>
> It is very bare right now, but I made sure to link to as much important
> information as possible (including the oss.oracle.com page). From what I
> understand, you should be able to edit it with your Linux Foundation ID. If
> you don't have one, it's very simple to create:
>
> https://identity.linuxfoundation.org/
>
> If anyone is willing to help with this, I would appreciate it, otherwise
> I'll fill things in at my own pace. In particular, I'd like to import our
> old design docs from:
>
> https://oss.oracle.com/osswiki/OCFS2.html
>
> In general, I feel these would also be good to have on the wiki:
>
> - some examples where Ocfs2 is used and why it's good there (web servers, virtual machines, databases)
>
> - more information on our feature set (in particular, reflink)
>

> I should be sending a patch to update our kernel docs with the new git /
> homepage links shortly.

Thanks a lot for doing this. Hopefully, now incorporating patches in the
git would be faster and efficient.

In the meantime, I will work on improving the wiki pages.

Goldwyn

* [Ocfs2-devel] Update: Re: ocfs2-tools.git is moving, ocfs2 web site plans
@ 2015-02-20 18:58     ` Mark Fasheh
From: Mark Fasheh @ 2015-02-20 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 07:16:28AM -0600, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:
> Thanks a lot for doing this. Hopefully, now incorporating patches in the
> git would be faster and efficient.

Yes, that's my hope. I'm willing to do review to make that happen of course.

> In the meantime, I will work on improving the wiki pages.

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get here!
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh