* [Xenomai] Remote debugging problems
@ 2015-02-18 19:45 Mathew Benson
From: Mathew Benson @ 2015-02-18 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

I converted my code from pthreads to real time Xenomai threads.  My code
works perfectly, as far as I can tell, but I can't use the remote debugger.

Host
-  Fedora 21, 3.18.6-200.fc21.x86_64
-  Eclipse 4.4.1
-  g++ 4.9.2
-  gdb 4.9.2

Target
-  Beaglebone Black, 3.8.13
-  Xenomai 2.6.3
-  gdbserver 2.6.3

Before I put more details up, is there anything with the configuration
above that stands out as being a problem?  Specifically, the gdb and
gdbserver versions?

* Re: [Xenomai] Remote debugging problems
@ 2015-02-18 19:49 ` Mathew Benson
From: Mathew Benson @ 2015-02-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Sorry.  Typo.

- gdbserver 7.4.1-debian

@ 2015-02-18 19:52 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-02-18 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathew Benson; +Cc: xenomai

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 01:45:06PM -0600, Mathew Benson wrote:
> -  gdb 4.9.2
> -  gdbserver 2.6.3
>
> Before I put more details up, is there anything with the configuration
> above that stands out as being a problem?  Specifically, the gdb and
> gdbserver versions?

For gdb to work with gdbserver the versions must be exactly the same.

--
					    Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Remote debugging problems
@ 2015-02-18 20:49   ` Mathew Benson
From: Mathew Benson @ 2015-02-18 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

That's what I thought.  I also gave you the wrong gdbserver version.  Its
7.4.1.  The Fedora repos for my host have arm-linux-gnueabihf 7.6.2, but
I'm not finding 7.4.1 yet.  Do you have any recommendations of where to
find an RPM for gdb 7.4.1 on Fedora 21 x86_64?  I haven't found an rpm yet
and I prefer not to have to compile from source.  Or, should I upgrade the
target gdbserver to to 7.6.2?

@ 2015-02-18 20:52     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-02-18 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathew Benson; +Cc: xenomai

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 02:49:26PM -0600, Mathew Benson wrote:
> That's what I thought.  I also gave you the wrong gdbserver version.  Its
> 7.4.1.  The Fedora repos for my host have arm-linux-gnueabihf 7.6.2, but
> I'm not finding 7.4.1 yet.  Do you have any recommendations of where to
> find an RPM for gdb 7.4.1 on Fedora 21 x86_64?  I haven't found an rpm yet
> and I prefer not to have to compile from source.  Or, should I upgrade the
> target gdbserver to to 7.6.2?

A well behaved toolchain provides the gdbserver and the
corresponding cross gdb for the architecture for which you are
compiling.

--
					    Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Remote debugging problems
@ 2015-02-18 21:23       ` Mathew Benson
From: Mathew Benson @ 2015-02-18 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

I just yum installed the cross compiler.  Are you saying I should get a
tool chain that contains both the host and target code?  I'm downloading
the Linaro tool chain now.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix <

@ 2015-02-18 21:29         ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-02-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathew Benson; +Cc: xenomai

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 03:23:28PM -0600, Mathew Benson wrote:
> I just yum installed the cross compiler.  Are you saying I should get a
> tool chain that contains both the host and target code?  I'm downloading
> the Linaro tool chain now.

Yes, the cross toolchain usually contains some files which you can
install on the target, like glibc, gdbserver, etc...

--
					    Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Remote debugging problems
@ 2015-02-18 21:39           ` Mathew Benson
From: Mathew Benson @ 2015-02-18 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Damn.  Ok.  Learned something new.  Knowing that would have made my life a
lot easier.  I always compiled and/or installled tools as I needed them.
I'm downloading a preconfigured toolchain from the TI website now.  Thanks.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix <

@ 2015-02-18 23:20             ` Mathew Benson
From: Mathew Benson @ 2015-02-18 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

I have the linaro toolchain installed and it seems to be running much
better.  It initializes with no errors but its dying without giving me a
chance to see where.  I think the gdbserver on the target is dying.  Here's
my gdbinit:

handle SIG63 nostop noprint pass
set sysroot remote:/

I see the following error in my debugger:

Interrupted while waiting for the program.
Give up (and stop debugging it)?
(y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]

Any idea what this might be?

@ 2015-02-18 23:25               ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-02-18 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathew Benson; +Cc: xenomai

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 05:20:13PM -0600, Mathew Benson wrote:
> I have the linaro toolchain installed and it seems to be running much
> better.  It initializes with no errors but its dying without giving me a
> chance to see where.  I think the gdbserver on the target is dying.  Here's
> my gdbinit:
>
> handle SIG63 nostop noprint pass
> set sysroot remote:/
>
> I see the following error in my debugger:
>
> Interrupted while waiting for the program.
> Give up (and stop debugging it)?
> (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
>
> Any idea what this might be?

No idea, but versions mismatch do this kind of stuff. Before trying
with Xenomai, you should try with an unpatched kernel, and if you
get weird behaviour, I suggest you try other sources of information.
The xenomai mailing list is a list where we know about xenomai, but
maybe not the best mailing list for gdb support.

--
					    Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Remote debugging problems
@ 2015-02-23 19:21                 ` Mathew Benson
From: Mathew Benson @ 2015-02-23 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Ok.  Thanks.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix <