* [Qemu-devel] (no subject)
@ 2015-02-22  1:00 Sunil Kumar
From: Sunil Kumar @ 2015-02-22  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi,

I ran into an issue where the OVA created from the VMDK file created by qemu-img is rejected by vSphere with a message like "Not a supported disk format (sparse VMDK too old)". I was looking through the archives and found this:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-08/msg01028.html

That's exactly my issue and the patch will resolve it. But this patch has not been merged yet and it does not apply on top of 2.2.0 cleanly. Any ideas what happened to the patch there?

I will appreciate any help.

-devsk

* Re: [Qemu-devel] vmdk: improve streamOptimized vmdk support
@ 2015-02-22  1:02 ` Sunil Kumar
From: Sunil Kumar @ 2015-02-22  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

No idea why it ate the subject?

-devsk

@ 2015-02-23  8:10   ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2015-02-23  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunil Kumar; +Cc: Fam Zheng, qemu-devel

Perhaps Fam (cc'ed) can help you.

[...]

@ 2015-02-23 10:57     ` Kevin Wolf
From: Kevin Wolf @ 2015-02-23 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster; +Cc: milos.vyletel, Fam Zheng, qemu-devel, Sunil Kumar

Am 23.02.2015 um 09:10 hat Markus Armbruster geschrieben:
> Perhaps Fam (cc'ed) can help you.
>
> Sunil Kumar <internet_everyone@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> [...]
> > Hi,
> >
> > I ran into an issue where the OVA created from the VMDK file created
> > by qemu-img is rejected by vSphere with a message like "Not a
> > supported disk format (sparse VMDK too old)". I was looking through
> > the archives and found this:
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-08/msg01028.html
> >
> > That's exactly my issue and the patch will resolve it. But this patch
> > has not been merged yet and it does not apply on top of 2.2.0
> > cleanly. Any ideas what happened to the patch there?

Fam had review comments in the mailing list thread that you refer to
above, so it seems we're still waiting for a v4 patch by Milos that
addresses the issues Fam found.

Milos, are you still interested in this patch or should someone else
pick it up?

Kevin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] vmdk: improve streamOptimized vmdk support
@ 2015-02-23 13:50       ` Milos Vyletel
From: Milos Vyletel @ 2015-02-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wolf; +Cc: qemu-devel, Fam Zheng, Markus Armbruster, Sunil Kumar

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com> wrote:
> Am 23.02.2015 um 09:10 hat Markus Armbruster geschrieben:
>> Perhaps Fam (cc'ed) can help you.
>>
>> Sunil Kumar <internet_everyone@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I ran into an issue where the OVA created from the VMDK file created
>> > by qemu-img is rejected by vSphere with a message like "Not a
>> > supported disk format (sparse VMDK too old)". I was looking through
>> > the archives and found this:
>> >
>> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-08/msg01028.html
>> >
>> > That's exactly my issue and the patch will resolve it. But this patch
>> > has not been merged yet and it does not apply on top of 2.2.0
>> > cleanly. Any ideas what happened to the patch there?
>
> Fam had review comments in the mailing list thread that you refer to
> above, so it seems we're still waiting for a v4 patch by Milos that
> addresses the issues Fam found.
>
> Milos, are you still interested in this patch or should someone else
> pick it up?

Oh, shame on me. I've completely forgot about this. I did quickly
ported the patch to current upstream and did some basic testing.
Something is little bit off so I will have to figure that out as well
as look at Fam's comments and I will post v4 asap. I hope to find some
time to look at this properly this week.

Milos

* Re: [Qemu-devel] vmdk: improve streamOptimized vmdk support
@ 2015-03-01 20:50         ` Sunil Kumar
From: Sunil Kumar @ 2015-03-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milos Vyletel, Kevin Wolf; +Cc: Fam Zheng, Markus Armbruster, qemu-devel

Any update on this Milos?

Thanks.

@ 2015-03-03  8:36           ` Milos Vyletel
From: Milos Vyletel @ 2015-03-03  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunil Kumar; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, Fam Zheng, Markus Armbruster, qemu-devel

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:50 PM, Sunil Kumar <internet_everyone@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Any update on this Milos?
>
> Thanks.

I did look at this yesterday and unfortunately it will be harder to
adapt to new head as previously thought. Since the addition of
next_cluster_sector (which is one of last Fam's comments in v3)
writing to vmdk's revolve around sectors instead of offset and that
does not work very well with streamOptimized format.

I'm sorry but I don't think I'll have enough time to spend in near
future to get this properly working. Plus I no longer have the test
environment since I've changed jobs in the meantime.

Milos

@ 2015-03-03  8:53             ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-03-03  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milos Vyletel; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, qemu-devel, Markus Armbruster, Sunil Kumar

On Tue, 03/03 09:36, Milos Vyletel wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:50 PM, Sunil Kumar <internet_everyone@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Any update on this Milos?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I did look at this yesterday and unfortunately it will be harder to
> adapt to new head as previously thought. Since the addition of
> next_cluster_sector (which is one of last Fam's comments in v3)
> writing to vmdk's revolve around sectors instead of offset and that
> does not work very well with streamOptimized format.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't think I'll have enough time to spend in near
> future to get this properly working. Plus I no longer have the test
> environment since I've changed jobs in the meantime.

I'll see if I can roll some patches later. :)

Sunil, do you have an environment to run the tests later?

Fam

@ 2015-03-04 21:44               ` Sunil Kumar
From: Sunil Kumar @ 2015-03-04 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng, Milos Vyletel; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, qemu-devel, Markus Armbruster

I don't have a qemu dev test environment if that's what you mean. But I will definitely be able to take a patch and test to see if the created streamOptimized VMDK gets accepted by the ESXi server that I have here.

Thanks

@ 2015-04-17 18:25               ` devsk
From: devsk @ 2015-04-17 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng, Milos Vyletel; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, qemu-devel, Markus Armbruster

Fam: Any updates on this?

@ 2015-04-21  6:09                 ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-04-21  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devsk; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, Markus Armbruster, qemu-devel, Milos Vyletel

On Fri, 04/17 18:25, devsk wrote:
> Fam: Any updates on this?

Hi, I'm still working on the patchset. Will send to the list once it's done.

Fam

@ 2016-04-09 14:19                   ` devsk
From: devsk @ 2016-04-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, Markus Armbruster, qemu-devel, Milos Vyletel

Fam,

Was this work ever completed?

Thanks,
Sunil

@ 2016-04-19 13:03                     ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2016-04-19 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devsk; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, Milos Vyletel, Markus Armbruster, qemu-devel

On Sat, 04/09 14:19, devsk wrote:
> Fam,
>
> Was this work ever completed?

Sorry Sunil, I haven't been able to finish this patch yet. I'll try to allocate
some time for it.

Fam

@ 2015-02-21 23:59 Sunil Kumar