* doubt about sm7xxfb
@ 2015-02-10 14:07 Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2015-02-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman; +Cc: linux-kernel, devel

Hi Greg,
we have this sm7xxfb in drivers/staging now which is supporting SM710, SM712, SM721 and SM722. I am also working on another new hardware SM750, which will be ready for staging in next 1 -2 weeks.
this SM750 is entirely different hardware and these two drivers will have nothing in common.

So should i place it in sm7xxfb? or i keep it in a new folder drivers/staging/sm750fb? or maybe place them in separate folders sm712 and sm750 under drivers/staging/sm7xxfb?

regards
sudip

* Re: doubt about sm7xxfb
@ 2015-02-11  4:36 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2015-02-11  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee; +Cc: devel, linux-kernel

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 07:37:47PM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> we have this sm7xxfb in drivers/staging now which is supporting SM710,
> SM712, SM721 and SM722. I am also working on another new hardware
> SM750, which will be ready for staging in next 1 -2 weeks.
> this SM750 is entirely different hardware and these two drivers will
> have nothing in common.

Then make a new driver!

But why would a new driver go into staging?  Anything new you create
should just go into the "correct" part of the kernel.  Don't waste your
time on staging.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: doubt about sm7xxfb
@ 2015-02-11  6:28   ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2015-02-11  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman; +Cc: devel, linux-kernel

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:36:36PM +0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 07:37:47PM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> > we have this sm7xxfb in drivers/staging now which is supporting SM710,
> > SM712, SM721 and SM722. I am also working on another new hardware
> > SM750, which will be ready for staging in next 1 -2 weeks.
> > this SM750 is entirely different hardware and these two drivers will
> > have nothing in common.
>
> Then make a new driver!
ok, but then won't the name sm7xxfb will be misleading?

> But why would a new driver go into staging?  Anything new you create
> should just go into the "correct" part of the kernel.  Don't waste your
> time on staging.

this code has been given to me by Silicon Motion, and will require a few changes before it can be used with current kernel version. And to merge it into video/fbdev it will require many changes and cleanups. But to be frank this will have much less work to do compared to sm7xxfb, but as this is not part of my dayjob i can not give my full time to it. So I was thinking of staging.

regards
sudip

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* Re: doubt about sm7xxfb
@ 2015-02-11  6:33     ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2015-02-11  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee; +Cc: devel, linux-kernel

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 11:58:18AM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:36:36PM +0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 07:37:47PM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> > > Hi Greg,
> > > we have this sm7xxfb in drivers/staging now which is supporting SM710,
> > > SM712, SM721 and SM722. I am also working on another new hardware
> > > SM750, which will be ready for staging in next 1 -2 weeks.
> > > this SM750 is entirely different hardware and these two drivers will
> > > have nothing in common.
> >
> > Then make a new driver!
> ok, but then won't the name sm7xxfb will be misleading?

Sure, but really, who cares :)

> > But why would a new driver go into staging?  Anything new you create
> > should just go into the "correct" part of the kernel.  Don't waste your
> > time on staging.
>
> this code has been given to me by Silicon Motion, and will require a
> few changes before it can be used with current kernel version. And to
> merge it into video/fbdev it will require many changes and cleanups.
> But to be frank this will have much less work to do compared to
> sm7xxfb, but as this is not part of my dayjob i can not give my full
> time to it. So I was thinking of staging.

Ok, that makes sense, I was thinking this was a "new" driver, instead of
a vendor driver crud.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: doubt about sm7xxfb
@ 2015-02-25 12:30       ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2015-02-25 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman; +Cc: devel, linux-kernel

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 02:33:51PM +0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 11:58:18AM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
>
> Ok, that makes sense, I was thinking this was a "new" driver, instead of
> a vendor driver crud.
Hi Greg,
The SM750 driver is almost ready for staging, it now compiles without any error with today's linux-next and is working properly , ok,  there are lots of warning when compiling and checkpatch will give lots of complaints.
But in total it is creating 34 files and the size of the patch is 360K. So should i send it with mail, just the way we send other patches or should i send you a git pull request?

regards
sudip

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* Re: doubt about sm7xxfb
@ 2015-02-25 15:34         ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2015-02-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee; +Cc: devel, linux-kernel

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 06:00:02PM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 02:33:51PM +0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 11:58:18AM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> >
> > Ok, that makes sense, I was thinking this was a "new" driver, instead of
> > a vendor driver crud.
> Hi Greg,
> The SM750 driver is almost ready for staging, it now compiles without
> any error with today's linux-next and is working properly , ok,  there
> are lots of warning when compiling and checkpatch will give lots of
> complaints.
> But in total it is creating 34 files and the size of the patch is
> 360K. So should i send it with mail, just the way we send other
> patches or should i send you a git pull request?

through email, like all other patches get sent please.

thanks,

greg k-h