* [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-02-28  6:47 Fam Zheng
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-02-28  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello, everyone

I'm glad to announce the fresh Patchew server deployment:

    http://qemu.patchew.org/

The mission of this project is to help identify obvious defects (coding style,
compiling, etc.) of posted patches.

Follow the green "passed" or red "failed" button in the page and you'll see the
testing log. You can also see which series have got reviews or comments.

Q: How will this impact patch submission and merging process?

    Nothing is affected (at least for now), use this as an auxiliary.

Q: What exactly are tested for each patch?

    * scripts/checkpatch.pl
    * git am (on top of qemu.git)
    * ./configure --target-list=x86_64-softmmu
    * make
    * make check

Q: No different architectures, compilers or targets?

    Not yet. A simple script does the test in a docker instance. A bigger
    coverage is possible though, by adding steps to the script:

    [1]: https://github.com/famz/patchew/blob/master/tests/qemu-devel.sh

Q: Where is the said email notification?

    The email notification feature is ready. In a few days I will enable
    automatic replying to the list, once the web interface and testing are both
    running smoothly and up to speed. Currently the only recipient is Fam :)

Q: Where is the source code?

    https://github.com/famz/patchew

    (Pull requests very welcome!)

Enjoy, and feel free to make comments!

Thank you!

---
Fam Zheng

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-02-28 17:01 ` Stefan Weil
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Weil @ 2015-02-28 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng, qemu-devel

Am 28.02.2015 um 07:47 schrieb Fam Zheng:
> Hello, everyone
>
> I'm glad to announce the fresh Patchew server deployment:
>
>      http://qemu.patchew.org/
>
> The mission of this project is to help identify obvious defects (coding style,
> compiling, etc.) of posted patches.
>
> Follow the green "passed" or red "failed" button in the page and you'll see the
> testing log. You can also see which series have got reviews or comments.
>
> Q: How will this impact patch submission and merging process?
>
>      Nothing is affected (at least for now), use this as an auxiliary.
>
> Q: What exactly are tested for each patch?
>
>      * scripts/checkpatch.pl
>      * git am (on top of qemu.git)
>      * ./configure --target-list=x86_64-softmmu
>      * make
>      * make check
>
> Q: No different architectures, compilers or targets?
>
>      Not yet. A simple script does the test in a docker instance. A bigger
>      coverage is possible though, by adding steps to the script:
>
>      [1]: https://github.com/famz/patchew/blob/master/tests/qemu-devel.sh
>
> Q: Where is the said email notification?
>
>      The email notification feature is ready. In a few days I will enable
>      automatic replying to the list, once the web interface and testing are both
>      running smoothly and up to speed. Currently the only recipient is Fam :)
>
> Q: Where is the source code?
>
>      https://github.com/famz/patchew
>
>      (Pull requests very welcome!)
>

> Enjoy, and feel free to make comments!
>
> Thank you!
>

> ---
> Fam Zheng

That's really great!

Maybe in a next step, the code coverage could be improved by installing
more optional software packages on your host. Currently the output of
configure contains many lines with "no" (GTK support is missing, for
example). For an Ubuntu 32 bit host, I just installed all software
packages which improve code coverage during the build, see my
documentation on http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/Linux. I promptly got a
build error because some parts of QEMU (migration/rdma.c) only support
64 bit builds...

So for the future, both 32 and 64 bit builds would be useful. Then of
course also cross builds for Windows would be nice. :-) If you run many
builds, you can save memory and time by using --enable-debug for most of
them.

Thanks
Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-03-02  9:03 ` Markus Armbruster
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2015-03-02  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng; +Cc: qemu-devel

Fam Zheng <famz@redhat.com> writes:

> Hello, everyone
>
> I'm glad to announce the fresh Patchew server deployment:
>
>     http://qemu.patchew.org/

Looks slick!

Could the authors be made links, so I could click on myself and see all
my submissions?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-03-02  9:12   ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-03-02  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Mon, 03/02 10:03, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Fam Zheng <famz@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Hello, everyone
> >
> > I'm glad to announce the fresh Patchew server deployment:
> >
> >     http://qemu.patchew.org/
>
> Looks slick!
>
> Could the authors be made links, so I could click on myself and see all
> my submissions?

Sure, I'm adding to the wishlist, but FWIW you can bookmark a
"from:armbru@redhat.com" search result page:

http://patchew.org/?search=from%3Aarmbru%40redhat.com

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-03-02 22:21 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-03-02 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 02:47:12PM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> I'm glad to announce the fresh Patchew server deployment:
>
>     http://qemu.patchew.org/

Looks nice!  Looking forward to email notifications.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 473 bytes --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-03  6:14 ` Stefan Weil
From: Stefan Weil @ 2015-03-03  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng, qemu-devel

Am 28.02.2015 um 07:47 schrieb Fam Zheng:
> Hello, everyone
>
> I'm glad to announce the fresh Patchew server deployment:
>
>      http://qemu.patchew.org/
>
> The mission of this project is to help identify obvious defects (coding style,
> compiling, etc.) of posted patches.
>
> Follow the green "passed" or red "failed" button in the page and you'll see the
> testing log. You can also see which series have got reviews or comments.
>
> Q: How will this impact patch submission and merging process?
>
>      Nothing is affected (at least for now), use this as an auxiliary.
>
> Q: What exactly are tested for each patch?
>
>      * scripts/checkpatch.pl
>      * git am (on top of qemu.git)

Obviously checkpatch.pl reports false positives because it tries to
analyze quoted-printable UTF-8 e-mails. Here an example:

http://qemu.patchew.org/testing/log/%3C1425214326-25326-1-git-send-email-sw@weilnetz.de%3E

Here is the message from Patchew:

<<< WARNING >>>ERROR: spaces required around that '=' (ctx:WxV)
<<< WARNING >>>#96: FILE: util/oslib-posix.c:404:
<<< WARNING >>>+        for (i =3D 0; i < numpages; i++) {
<<< WARNING >>>                ^

It's wrong because "=3D" is simply a quoted "=", and it is surrounded by
spaces here.

Regards
Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-03-03  7:05   ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-03-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Weil; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Tue, 03/03 07:14, Stefan Weil wrote:
> Am 28.02.2015 um 07:47 schrieb Fam Zheng:
> >Hello, everyone
> >
> >I'm glad to announce the fresh Patchew server deployment:
> >
> >     http://qemu.patchew.org/
> >
> >The mission of this project is to help identify obvious defects (coding style,
> >compiling, etc.) of posted patches.
> >
> >Follow the green "passed" or red "failed" button in the page and you'll see the
> >testing log. You can also see which series have got reviews or comments.
> >
> >Q: How will this impact patch submission and merging process?
> >
> >     Nothing is affected (at least for now), use this as an auxiliary.
> >
> >Q: What exactly are tested for each patch?
> >
> >     * scripts/checkpatch.pl
> >     * git am (on top of qemu.git)
>
> Obviously checkpatch.pl reports false positives because it tries to analyze
> quoted-printable UTF-8 e-mails. Here an example:
>
> http://qemu.patchew.org/testing/log/%3C1425214326-25326-1-git-send-email-sw@weilnetz.de%3E

Right.

The result was produced before I fixed the bug. I reran the test and now it's
passed.

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-03  7:20 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2015-03-03  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Sa, 2015-02-28 at 14:47 +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> Enjoy, and feel free to make comments!

Very nice.

Search by path (files touched by patch) would be nice, i.e. something
like "path:ui/vnc*" to see all patches touching vnc code.

Also recognizing more tags (such as tested-by, see here for an example):
http://qemu.patchew.org/series/%
3C1425312553-19877-1-git-send-email-kraxel@redhat.com%3E

would be useful.

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-03-03  7:36   ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-03-03  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Tue, 03/03 08:20, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On Sa, 2015-02-28 at 14:47 +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > Enjoy, and feel free to make comments!
>
> Very nice.
>
> Search by path (files touched by patch) would be nice, i.e. something
> like "path:ui/vnc*" to see all patches touching vnc code.

Interesting. Any good python library or existing implementations in your mind?
Otherwise I have to write a simple patch mail parsing library to achieve that.

> Also recognizing more tags (such as tested-by, see here for an example):
> http://qemu.patchew.org/series/%
> 3C1425312553-19877-1-git-send-email-kraxel@redhat.com%3E

Sure, this is a good catch!

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcement: Patchew server is online now
@ 2015-03-03  8:43     ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2015-03-03  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng; +Cc: qemu-devel

  Hi,

> > Search by path (files touched by patch) would be nice, i.e. something
> > like "path:ui/vnc*" to see all patches touching vnc code.
>
> Interesting. Any good python library or existing implementations in your mind?

Sorry, no.

I code next to nothing in python though, so that doesn't imply such a
library doesn't exist ;)

cheers,
  Gerd