* [ANN] Media Mini-Summit Final Agenda for March 26th
@ 2015-03-24 18:45 Hans Verkuil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2015-03-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is the final agenda for the media mini-summit in San Jose on March 26th.

Time: 9 AM to 5:30 PM (approximately)
Room: San Carlos, 2nd floor

Attendees:

We'll get this list later from the Linux Foundation based on who signed on.

Agenda:

Times are approximate and will likely change, although the intention is to
not change too much :-)

9:00-9:15   Get everyone installed, laptops hooked up, etc.
9:15-9:30   Introduction
9:30-10:30  Media Controller support for DVB (Mauro Carvalho Chehab):
		1) dynamic creation/removal of pipelines
		2) change media_entity_pipeline_start to also define
		   the final entity
		3) how to setup pipelines that also envolve audio and DRM
		4) how to lock the media controller pipeline between enabling a
		   pipeline and starting it, in order to avoid race conditions

See this post for more detailed information:

https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg85910.html

10:30-10:45 Break
10:45-12:00 Continue discussion
12:00-13:00 Lunch
13:00-14:30 Continue discussion
14:30-15:00 Media Tokens (Shuah Kahn)
15:00-15:30 Break
15:30-16:30 Subdev hotplug in the context of both FPGA dynamic reconfiguration and
	    project Ara (http://www.projectara.com/) (Laurent Pinchart).
16:30-17:30 Update on ongoing projects (Hans Verkuil):
		- work on colorspace improvements
		- removing duplicate subdev video ops and use pad ops instead
		- vivid & v4l2-compliance improvements
		- proposal for Android Camera v3-type requests (aka configuration stores)

Most of the time will be spent on DVB and the MC. Based on past experience this
likely will take some time to get a consensus.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [media-workshop] [ANN] Media Mini-Summit Final Agenda for March 26th
@ 2015-03-24 21:36 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2015-03-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Em Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:45:19 -0700
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> This is the final agenda for the media mini-summit in San Jose on March 26th.
>
> Time: 9 AM to 5:30 PM (approximately)
> Room: San Carlos, 2nd floor
>
> Attendees:
>
> We'll get this list later from the Linux Foundation based on who signed on.
>
> Agenda:
>
> Times are approximate and will likely change, although the intention is to
> not change too much :-)
>
> 9:00-9:15   Get everyone installed, laptops hooked up, etc.
> 9:15-9:30   Introduction
> 9:30-10:30  Media Controller support for DVB (Mauro Carvalho Chehab):
> 		1) dynamic creation/removal of pipelines
> 		2) change media_entity_pipeline_start to also define
> 		   the final entity
> 		3) how to setup pipelines that also envolve audio and DRM
> 		4) how to lock the media controller pipeline between enabling a
> 		   pipeline and starting it, in order to avoid race conditions
>
> See this post for more detailed information:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg85910.html
>
> 10:30-10:45 Break
> 10:45-12:00 Continue discussion
> 12:00-13:00 Lunch
> 13:00-14:30 Continue discussion
> 14:30-15:00 Media Tokens (Shuah Kahn)
> 15:00-15:30 Break
> 15:30-16:30 Subdev hotplug in the context of both FPGA dynamic reconfiguration and
> 	    project Ara (http://www.projectara.com/) (Laurent Pinchart).
> 16:30-17:30 Update on ongoing projects (Hans Verkuil):
> 		- work on colorspace improvements
> 		- removing duplicate subdev video ops and use pad ops instead
> 		- vivid & v4l2-compliance improvements
> 		- proposal for Android Camera v3-type requests (aka configuration stores)

One item is missing:

17:30 - Group photo

:)

It would also be nice to use 15 mins at the end to double check if the model
of subscribing via LF was a good idea, or if something needs to be improved
for the next Summits.

> Most of the time will be spent on DVB and the MC. Based on past experience this
> likely will take some time to get a consensus.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: [ANN] Media Mini-Summit Final Agenda for March 26th
@ 2015-03-25  4:19 ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2015-03-25  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> This is the final agenda for the media mini-summit in San Jose on March 26th.
>

> 14:30-15:00 Media Tokens (Shuah Kahn)

I uploaded RFC 5 patch series to my kernel.org git media branch
for this discussion:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux.git

clone:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux.git

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: [media-workshop] [ANN] Media Mini-Summit Final Agenda for March 26th
@ 2015-03-26  7:42 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2015-03-26  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Em Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:45:19 -0700
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> This is the final agenda for the media mini-summit in San Jose on March 26th.
>
> Time: 9 AM to 5:30 PM (approximately)
> Room: San Carlos, 2nd floor
>
> Attendees:
>
> We'll get this list later from the Linux Foundation based on who signed on.
>
> Agenda:
>
> Times are approximate and will likely change, although the intention is to
> not change too much :-)
>
> 9:00-9:15   Get everyone installed, laptops hooked up, etc.
> 9:15-9:30   Introduction
> 9:30-10:30  Media Controller support for DVB (Mauro Carvalho Chehab):
> 		1) dynamic creation/removal of pipelines
> 		2) change media_entity_pipeline_start to also define
> 		   the final entity
> 		3) how to setup pipelines that also envolve audio and DRM
> 		4) how to lock the media controller pipeline between enabling a
> 		   pipeline and starting it, in order to avoid race conditions
>
> See this post for more detailed information:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg85910.html

There is another thread that it is also relevant for the discussions.
In order to help with the discussions, I prepared a set of slides that
explains how the DVB pipelines are and what are the issues with MC.

They're at:
	http://linuxtv.org/downloads/presentations/media_summit_2015_US/dtv_media_controller_discussion_v1.pdf

I added there the links for the related messages that were sent to the
mailing list. Please notice that the example at slide 8 is fictional,
as getting those hardware diagrams would generally require to sign an
NDA. So, the example were created from a slide that I found at the
Internet, under:
	http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2005AUG/4/2005AUG22_EMS_NP.gif

where I merged the missing entities demod and demux, and guessed that
the output could be sent through GPU and ALSA pipelines, and that
cross-bars would allow different pipeline arrangements.

So, while it is a fictional diagram, it is actually pretty close to
what would happen on a real hardware for a TV set or a Set Top Box.

Regards,
Mauro

> 10:30-10:45 Break
> 10:45-12:00 Continue discussion
> 12:00-13:00 Lunch
> 13:00-14:30 Continue discussion
> 14:30-15:00 Media Tokens (Shuah Kahn)
> 15:00-15:30 Break
> 15:30-16:30 Subdev hotplug in the context of both FPGA dynamic reconfiguration and
> 	    project Ara (http://www.projectara.com/) (Laurent Pinchart).
> 16:30-17:30 Update on ongoing projects (Hans Verkuil):
> 		- work on colorspace improvements
> 		- removing duplicate subdev video ops and use pad ops instead
> 		- vivid & v4l2-compliance improvements
> 		- proposal for Android Camera v3-type requests (aka configuration stores)
>
> Most of the time will be spent on DVB and the MC. Based on past experience this
> likely will take some time to get a consensus.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

Cheers,
Mauro