* hardware recommendation
@ 2015-03-22 15:28 Ralph Droms (rdroms)
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) @ 2015-03-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan

What hardware - radio board, interface, Linux platform - are recommended for the 802.15.4 stack in the bluetooth-next kernel?

- Ralph

BTW, is this list archived?  Where?

* Re: hardware recommendation
@ 2015-03-23  7:58 ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-03-23  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Droms (rdroms); +Cc: linux-wpan

Hi Ralph,

welcome back.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 03:28:36PM +0000, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
> What hardware - radio board, interface, Linux platform - are recommended for the 802.15.4 stack in the bluetooth-next kernel?

See [0].

Radio board:

  - I would advice a 2.4 Ghz at86rf231 or at86rf233 [1].
     Supports async xmit handling and has the most supported hardware
     flags. Driver is at86rf230.

Interface:
  - What you mean with interface? Bus Interface? -> SPI. Or netlink
    interface? -> nl802154 with wpan-tools. Don't understand the
    question.

Linux platform:
  - I think you mean some architecture -> ARM. Then the platform, some
    board: The transceiver at [1] was made for RPi which works well on
    my side. But the RPi has a lack of mainline support. You have no
    USB, this means you have also no ethernet. If you don't need
    ethernet, then I would use a simple RPi. If you need ethernet I
    would advice to make some adapter board to add the [1] on a
    beaglebone [2], which have a good mainline support. This require
    some hardware hacking skills.

    Note: for RPi I also support you have no other support e.g. HDMI
    output or something else. SPI with RPi works mainline perfectly.

> - Ralph
>
> BTW, is this list archived?  Where?

Over google I detected that spinics archive this mailinglist [3] (but
doesn't include the early days).

- Alex

[0] http://wpan.cakelab.org/
[1] http://openlabs.co/store/Raspberry-Pi-802.15.4-radio
[2] http://beagleboard.org/
[3] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wpan/

* Re: hardware recommendation
@ 2015-03-26  4:41   ` Ralph Droms (rdroms)
       [not found]     ` <CAFUtXGzGeMmbSNtbP2xdjr6uitzFwPZCb3Yo-GV2+2gV3uz6+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) @ 2015-03-26  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: linux-wpan

> On Mar 23, 2015, at 2:58 AM 3/23/15, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ralph,
>
> welcome back.

Thanks!

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 03:28:36PM +0000, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
>> What hardware - radio board, interface, Linux platform - are recommended for the 802.15.4 stack in the bluetooth-next kernel?
>>

> See [0].
>
> Radio board:
>
>  - I would advice a 2.4 Ghz at86rf231 or at86rf233 [1].
>     Supports async xmit handling and has the most supported hardware
>     flags. Driver is at86rf230.

OK.

> Interface:
>  - What you mean with interface? Bus Interface? -> SPI. Or netlink
>    interface? -> nl802154 with wpan-tools. Don't understand the
>    question.

Bus interface.

> Linux platform:
>  - I think you mean some architecture -> ARM. Then the platform, some
>    board: The transceiver at [1] was made for RPi which works well on
>    my side. But the RPi has a lack of mainline support. You have no
>    USB, this means you have also no ethernet. If you don't need
>    ethernet, then I would use a simple RPi. If you need ethernet I
>    would advice to make some adapter board to add the [1] on a
>    beaglebone [2], which have a good mainline support. This require
>    some hardware hacking skills.

[1] + Raspberry Pi is the sort of combination I was asking about.  But, I'd also like to have Ethernet as well.  I have a couple of BeagleBoard XMs; I ordered a couple of [1]s and I'll try to hack up an adapter.

@ 2015-03-26  9:06       ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-03-26  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Wasilak; +Cc: Ralph Droms (rdroms), linux-wpan

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 07:44:26AM +0100, Maciej Wasilak wrote:
> Dear Ralph,
>
> I confirm it's possible to use USB and Ethernet on RaspberryPi with
> bluetooth-next. You have to enable kernel options:
>
> CONFIG_USB_DWC2_HOST
> CONFIG_USB_DWC2_PLATFORM

CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC95XX

> These options may not be enabled by default in bcm2835 config.

I test it and can confirm that it does do "more" reaction on probing.
I get now:

[    1.822208] usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx
[    2.151861] dwc2 20980000.usb: 256 invalid for host_nperio_tx_fifo_size. Check HW configuration.
[    2.160701] dwc2 20980000.usb: 512 invalid for host_perio_tx_fifo_size. Check HW configuration.
[    4.251299] dwc2 20980000.usb: dwc2_core_reset() HANG! Soft Reset GRSTCTL=80000001
[    4.258922] dwc2 20980000.usb: dwc2_core_init(): Reset failed, aborting
[    4.265577] dwc2 20980000.usb: dwc2_hcd_init() FAILED, returning -16
[    4.271977] dwc2: probe of 20980000.usb failed with error -16

Don't know why I get it, I use the current mainline dts files for the RPi.
Maybe somebody can help me here?

Nevetheless I think it's hurts to use an Ethernet PHY which is connected
via USB. Additional I have no good experience with RPi and USB. :-/

- Alex

@ 2015-04-07 18:12       ` Ralph Droms (rdroms)
       [not found]         ` <CAFUtXGzHpvDcCErKfyGTvGYri-PsmToNUE7rvoniLmqmdZ8q6w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) @ 2015-04-07 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Wasilak, Alexander Aring; +Cc: linux-wpan

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 2:44 AM 3/26/15, Maciej Wasilak <wasilak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Ralph,
>
> I confirm it's possible to use USB and Ethernet on RaspberryPi with bluetooth-next. You have to enable kernel options:
>
> CONFIG_USB_DWC2_HOST
> CONFIG_USB_DWC2_PLATFORM

Are there any other changes to a clone of bluetooth-next I need to make to build a Raspberry Pi kernel?  I tried naively building bluetooth-next with an updated, known good .config but the resulting kernel doesn't seem to be operational.

- Ralph

@ 2015-04-07 18:59         ` Alexander Aring
       [not found]         ` <CAFUtXGzHpvDcCErKfyGTvGYri-PsmToNUE7rvoniLmqmdZ8q6w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-04-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Droms (rdroms); +Cc: Maciej Wasilak, linux-wpan

Hi Ralph,

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 06:12:49PM +0000, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:

> > On Mar 26, 2015, at 2:44 AM 3/26/15, Maciej Wasilak <wasilak@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Ralph,
> >
> > I confirm it's possible to use USB and Ethernet on RaspberryPi with bluetooth-next. You have to enable kernel options:
> >
> > CONFIG_USB_DWC2_HOST
> > CONFIG_USB_DWC2_PLATFORM
>
> Are there any other changes to a clone of bluetooth-next I need to make to build a Raspberry Pi kernel?  I tried naively building bluetooth-next with an updated, known good .config but the resulting kernel doesn't seem to be operational.

A lastest "known to work config" can be found at [0].

But you need to boot with device tree, then it depends on plus model or
not, see [1] or [2]. You need to tell your bootloader where the device
tree file is found. Also the device tree file is usually a binary
format, you need to convert the dts file with dtc to some dtb file.

Or do you mean mainline networking support? This doesn't work on my side, too.

- Alex

[0] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git/tree/arch/arm/configs/bcm2835_defconfig
[1] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/bcm2835-rpi-b-plus.dts
[2] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/bcm2835-rpi-b.dts

* Re: hardware recommendation
@ 2015-04-07 19:17           ` Guido Günther
From: Guido Günther @ 2015-04-07 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan; +Cc: Alexander Aring, Ralph Droms (rdroms), Maciej Wasilak

Hi,
On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 08:59:20PM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 06:12:49PM +0000, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
> >
> > > On Mar 26, 2015, at 2:44 AM 3/26/15, Maciej Wasilak <wasilak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear Ralph,
> > >
> > > I confirm it's possible to use USB and Ethernet on RaspberryPi with bluetooth-next. You have to enable kernel options:
> > >
> > > CONFIG_USB_DWC2_HOST
> > > CONFIG_USB_DWC2_PLATFORM
> >
> > Are there any other changes to a clone of bluetooth-next I need to make to build a Raspberry Pi kernel?  I tried naively building bluetooth-next with an updated, known good .config but the resulting kernel doesn't seem to be operational.
> >

> A lastest "known to work config" can be found at [0].
>
> But you need to boot with device tree, then it depends on plus model or
> not, see [1] or [2]. You need to tell your bootloader where the device
> tree file is found. Also the device tree file is usually a binary
> format, you need to convert the dts file with dtc to some dtb file.

I recently went through this using device tree. Had to minimally patch
device tree due to using "Raspberry Pi 802.15.4 radio" from Openlabs and
it worked fine after tweaking defconfig a tiny bit to enable
6LoWPAN. Notes are here:

    https://honk.sigxcpu.org/piki/hw/rpi6lowpan/

The current tree I'm using is at:

    https://github.com/agx/linux-wpan-next/tree/rpi-6lowpan

It's basically bluetooth-next as of
baf880a96859cca79208122e555e7efeabd16e4d + the device tree and defconfig
changes. Ethernet works fine here too.

Cheers,
 -- Guido

@ 2015-04-07 20:12           ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-04-07 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Wasilak; +Cc: Ralph Droms (rdroms), linux-wpan

Hi Maciej,

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 09:19:59PM +0200, Maciej Wasilak wrote:
> Ralph,
>
> I followed tutorial at [1]. Tip to enable DWC is at [2]
>
> I attached my current .config (I don't know if mailing list tolerates
> attachments). I am using Raspbian as my base system, I have
> RaspberryPi B (oldest one).

I try with your config and still no luck with RPi and ethernet. I
suppose this is because the u-boot bootloader do some magic. I don't use
u-boot and then I have not the init routines for usb like you. Seems
like this is some missing feature in RPi USB handling, I don't know...
I don't want to try now to boot with u-boot, but I guess it's because
u-boot to some magic there...

- Alex