* git gui bug: filenames starting with ~
@ 2015-03-29  0:25 Peter Cordes
From: Peter Cordes @ 2015-03-29  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

  I didn't check if git claims to support arbitrary filenames.  If a
leading ~ isn't allowed, then this isn't a bug.

I'm using git-gui version 0.19.GITGUI, from git version 2.3.4, from
the Ubuntu PPA.
git  2:2.3.4-1avh1~utopic1

steps to reproduce:

mkdir -p git-shellmeta && cd git-shellmeta
git init
touch '~bin' '~xyz'
git gui &

In the gui, ~bin appears in the list of files with unstaged changes.
However, instead of appearing as a file, the diff pane shows
Git Repository (subproject)

Selecting ~xyz pops up a dialog saying:

Error loading file:
user "xyz" doesn't exist

So I guess username expansion is happening somewhere it shouldn't.

The home directory of the "bin" user on my system is /bin, which is
not a (subdir of a) git repo.  The message that ~bin is a subproject
is another symptom of this bug.

PS.
no, I didn't name that ~bin file.  Someone else left it lying around
in a directory.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)