* [Buildroot] Edit custom package install path
@ 2015-04-09 12:26 Igor Trevisan
From: Igor Trevisan @ 2015-04-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I'd like to know if there's a way to chose or edit, from Menuconfig,
the installation path of a given package.

Let suppose I added "mypackage" to buildroot and I want to give the
user the power to define where this package
will stay in the final root FS for my target: /opt, /usr/bin, other...

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
I.

--
"Don't find fault, find a remedy" (H.Ford)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us

* [Buildroot] Edit custom package install path
@ 2015-04-09 12:33 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-09 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Igor Trevisan,

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 14:26:33 +0200, Igor Trevisan wrote:

> I'd like to know if there's a way to chose or edit, from Menuconfig,
> the installation path of a given package.
>
> Let suppose I added "mypackage" to buildroot and I want to give the
> user the power to define where this package
> will stay in the final root FS for my target: /opt, /usr/bin, other...
>
> Is there a way to do this?

No, there is no way to do this. We cannot add one "installation path"
option to each of the 1500 packages we have in Buildroot.

The options are:

 * Move things around in a post-build script, if the thing can be moved
   after compilation.

 * Adjust the package .mk file to your needs.

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Edit custom package install path
@ 2015-04-13 14:27   ` Igor Trevisan
From: Igor Trevisan @ 2015-04-13 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On 9 April 2015 at 14:33, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Dear Igor Trevisan,
>
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 14:26:33 +0200, Igor Trevisan wrote:
>
>> I'd like to know if there's a way to chose or edit, from Menuconfig,
>> the installation path of a given package.
>>
>> Let suppose I added "mypackage" to buildroot and I want to give the
>> user the power to define where this package
>> will stay in the final root FS for my target: /opt, /usr/bin, other...
>>
>> Is there a way to do this?
>
> No, there is no way to do this. We cannot add one "installation path"
> option to each of the 1500 packages we have in Buildroot.

Sounds reasonable... :-)

> The options are:
>
>  * Move things around in a post-build script, if the thing can be moved
>    after compilation.
>
>  * Adjust the package .mk file to your needs.

I went with the second one.

Thanks for your answer,
best regards,
I.