* [Buildroot] [RFC] Move host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-autotools.mk
@ 2015-04-10  9:33 Bernd Kuhls
From: Bernd Kuhls @ 2015-04-10  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

is there a reason an autotools-package should not depend on host-pkgconf?

The phrase "host-pkgconf" appears in > 300 packages

$ for i in `find -iname *.mk | grep -v pkgconf`; do grep host-pkgconf $i;
done | wc -l
313

If

$(2)_DEPENDENCIES += host-pkgconf

is added to package/pkg-autotools.mk we could get rid of all those
dependencies in the packages and avoid nasty build errors in the future.

Regards, Bernd

* [Buildroot] [RFC] Move host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-autotools.mk
@ 2015-04-10 10:52 ` Bernd Kuhls
From: Bernd Kuhls @ 2015-04-10 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

and we have ~30 generic packages also depending on host-pkgconf. What about
adding the host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-generic.mk instead?

Regards, Bernd

* [Buildroot] [RFC] Move host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-autotools.mk
@ 2015-04-10 12:09   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Bernd Kuhls,

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:52:29 +0200, Bernd Kuhls wrote:

> and we have ~30 generic packages also depending on host-pkgconf. What about
> adding the host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-generic.mk instead?

This part is clearly a no-go for me: we also have ~300 hundred generic
packages, and only 10% of them need host-pkgconf. So adding
host-pkgconf as a mandatory dependency that is in fact useless for 90%
of the packages is clearly not acceptable.

We should really aim at *reducing* the dependencies and the build time,
not bringing useless dependencies into the build of packages that don't
need them.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] [RFC] Move host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-autotools.mk
@ 2015-04-10 12:12 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-10 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Bernd Kuhls,

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:33:39 +0200, Bernd Kuhls wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a reason an autotools-package should not depend on host-pkgconf?
>
> The phrase "host-pkgconf" appears in > 300 packages
>
> $ for i in `find -iname *.mk | grep -v pkgconf`; do grep host-pkgconf $i;
> done | wc -l
> 313
>
> If
>
> $(2)_DEPENDENCIES += host-pkgconf
>
> is added to package/pkg-autotools.mk we could get rid of all those
> dependencies in the packages and avoid nasty build errors in the future.

I think it has been discussed in the past, even though I don't remember
the conclusion. On my side, since I don't like useless dependencies,
but I recognize that we often forget to add host-pkgconf in the
dependencies of a number of autotools packages, I made a proposal last
year: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.uclibc.buildroot/82327.

It checks before building if the package uses PKG_CHECK_MODULES(), and
verifies that the package properly depends on host-pkgconf in this case.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2015-04-10 21:31   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2015-04-10 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 10/04/15 14:12, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Bernd Kuhls,
>
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:33:39 +0200, Bernd Kuhls wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a reason an autotools-package should not depend on host-pkgconf?
>>
>> The phrase "host-pkgconf" appears in > 300 packages
>>
>> $ for i in `find -iname *.mk | grep -v pkgconf`; do grep host-pkgconf $i;
>> done | wc -l
>> 313
>>
>> If
>>
>> $(2)_DEPENDENCIES += host-pkgconf
>>
>> is added to package/pkg-autotools.mk we could get rid of all those
>> dependencies in the packages and avoid nasty build errors in the future.
>
> I think it has been discussed in the past, even though I don't remember
> the conclusion. On my side, since I don't like useless dependencies,
> but I recognize that we often forget to add host-pkgconf in the
> dependencies of a number of autotools packages, I made a proposal last
> year: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.uclibc.buildroot/82327.
>
> It checks before building if the package uses PKG_CHECK_MODULES(), and
> verifies that the package properly depends on host-pkgconf in this case.

 I agree that something like that is the way to go.

 However, I would prefer that this kind of stuff:

- goes into scripts in the support/ directory;

- gets called from the GLOBAL_INSTRUMENTATION_HOOKS;

- is selectable with a config option in the Build options menu (which would be
enabled by the autobuilders).

 My reasoning is that the BR infrastructure is already pretty darn complicated,
so it would be good to separate the core infrastructure from the fringe stuff.
And the config option is of course because I prefer to keep the developer stuff
out of the way of normal users.

 Regards,
 Arnout

@ 2015-04-11  7:47     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-11  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Arnout,

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:31:01 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>  I agree that something like that is the way to go.
>
>  However, I would prefer that this kind of stuff:
>
> - goes into scripts in the support/ directory;
>
> - gets called from the GLOBAL_INSTRUMENTATION_HOOKS;
>
> - is selectable with a config option in the Build options menu (which would be
> enabled by the autobuilders).
>
>  My reasoning is that the BR infrastructure is already pretty darn complicated,
> so it would be good to separate the core infrastructure from the fringe stuff.
> And the config option is of course because I prefer to keep the developer stuff
> out of the way of normal users.

I fully agree with these suggestions. I think you already made them on
my previous posting of a patch doing this check, and it's just that I
haven't taken the time to prepare a new version of the patch.

Thanks,

Thomas
--

@ 2015-04-21 14:13       ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2015-04-21 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:31:01 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

 >> I agree that something like that is the way to go.
 >>
 >> However, I would prefer that this kind of stuff:
 >>
 >> - goes into scripts in the support/ directory;
 >>
 >> - gets called from the GLOBAL_INSTRUMENTATION_HOOKS;
 >>
 >> - is selectable with a config option in the Build options menu (which would be
 >> enabled by the autobuilders).
 >>
 >> My reasoning is that the BR infrastructure is already pretty darn complicated,
 >> so it would be good to separate the core infrastructure from the fringe stuff.
 >> And the config option is of course because I prefer to keep the developer stuff
 >> out of the way of normal users.

 > I fully agree with these suggestions. I think you already made them on
 > my previous posting of a patch doing this check, and it's just that I
 > haven't taken the time to prepare a new version of the patch.

FYI, I also agree with the above. This check would be good to have on
the autobuilders.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard