* btrfs balance {,meta}data to raid5 not working?
@ 2015-04-10 22:10 Piotr Szymaniak
From: Piotr Szymaniak @ 2015-04-10 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I tried today to balance two drive btrfs raid1 to two drive btrfs raid5
without luck:

~ # btrfs balance start -dconvert=raid5 -mconvert=raid5 /mnt/cdrom/
ERROR: error during balancing '/mnt/cdrom/' - Invalid argument
There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail
~ # btrfs balance start -mconvert=raid5 /mnt/cdrom/
ERROR: error during balancing '/mnt/cdrom/' - Invalid argument
There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail
~ # btrfs balance start -dconvert=raid5 /mnt/cdrom/
ERROR: error during balancing '/mnt/cdrom/' - Invalid argument
There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail
~ # dmesg | tail -3
[57073.050249] BTRFS error (device sdd): unable to start balance with
target data profile 128
[57079.674386] BTRFS error (device sdd): unable to start balance with
target metadata profile 128
[57082.754136] BTRFS error (device sdd): unable to start balance with
target data profile 128

Linux 3.19.3
btrfs-progs v3.19.1

Piotr Szymaniak.
--
Nie wierze,  zeby wyslali cie tam, nie w tym kraju, gdzie zabojcom daje
sie  po lapie i po dwoch latach ogladania kolorowej telewizji w wiezie-

* Re: btrfs balance {,meta}data to raid5 not working?
@ 2015-04-11  2:14 ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2015-04-11  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Piotr Szymaniak posted on Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:10:49 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> I tried today to balance two drive btrfs raid1 to two drive btrfs raid5
> without luck: [snipped]

> Linux 3.19.3
> btrfs-progs v3.19.1

Two points:

1) There is (was?) a known bug with balance-conversion in (near-)current
btrfs.  It was broken for a time, and I'm not sure it is fixed yet.  I'm
also not sure whether it was a user-side or kernel-side issue, tho I
believe the culprit commit has been traced and posted, so the answer
should be on the back-list if nobody else replies here with more specific
info.

Which presents a problem, since fully working raid5 support is so new.
But for conversion, I /think/ you can use somewhat older versions and do
the conversion, then use current versions that better handle problems for
actual operation.  If I only knew which part, userspace or kernelspace,
you have to use an old version of...

But you could try the latest 4.0-rc7+ kernel and see if it works with
that, yet.

2) You specify two drives[1] and an intended conversion to raid5.
Normally/traditionally, raid5 needs three devices to function undegraded,
altho technically, two-device raid5 is possible; it's just effectively a
slow raid1.  There has been some discussion around whether btrfs should
enable two-device raid5 or not, but regardless of whether it's actually
/possible/, why would you /want/ it?

2a) If your intention is to keep it two devices, just continue using
raid1, particularly with btrfs where raid1 mode is MUCH more mature and
tested than raid5 mode.

2b) If instead your intention was to convert it to raid5 before upgrading
it to three devices, just add the third device first, then do the balance-
conversion.  It'll save quite some time over effectively doing the
balance-conversion twice.

---
[1] Disks/drives/devices.  In a modern world of SSDs and virtual devices,
a block device may well be neither a disk nor an actual drive. (Does SSD
refer to a solid state /device/, or a solid state /drive/; it's certainly
not a /disk/?  Either way, a virtual device may not in fact be a drive of
any sort at all, while still being a device.)  I guess I'm not alone
among experienced users and sysadmins of an earlier era, who find
themselves now trying to retrain themselves to use the more accurate
generic term in most contexts...

* Re: btrfs balance {,meta}data to raid5 not working?
@ 2015-04-11 20:47 ` Philip Seeger
From: Philip Seeger @ 2015-04-11 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

A two-drive RAID5? Try 3 drives (btrfs dev add <new-drive> /mountpoint
first).

@ 2015-04-11 20:48   ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2015-04-11 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Seeger; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 10:47:33PM +0200, Philip Seeger wrote:
> A two-drive RAID5? Try 3 drives (btrfs dev add <new-drive>
> /mountpoint first).

   2-drive RAID-5 should work on btrfs. It's functionally equivalent
to RAID-1.

   Hugo.

> On 04/11/2015 12:10 AM, Piotr Szymaniak wrote:
> > I tried today to balance two drive btrfs raid1 to two drive btrfs raid5

--
Hugo Mills             | The enemy have elected for Death by Powerpoint.
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | That's what they shall get.

* Re: btrfs balance {,meta}data to raid5 not working?
@ 2015-04-14 12:21   ` Piotr Szymaniak
From: Piotr Szymaniak @ 2015-04-14 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs