* [GSoC 2015] Btrfs content based storage
@ 2015-03-27 14:58 harshad shirwadkar
From: harshad shirwadkar @ 2015-03-27 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello All,

I am a CS graduate student from Carnegie Mellon University. I am
hoping to build the feature - "Content based storage mode" under
Google Summer of Code 2015. This project has also been listed as an
idea on BTRFS ideas page. However, I have not found a mentor yet, and
without a mentor I can not participate in the program. Please let me
know if anybody is interested in mentoring this project. Here is a
link to my proposal:

http://harshadjs.github.io/2015/03/27/Fedora-BTRFS-Content-Storage-Mode/

Thanks,
Harshad.

* Re: [GSoC 2015] Btrfs content based storage
@ 2015-04-13 14:47 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2015-04-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harshad shirwadkar; +Cc: linux-btrfs, bo.li.liu

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:58:42AM -0400, harshad shirwadkar wrote:
> I am a CS graduate student from Carnegie Mellon University. I am
> hoping to build the feature - "Content based storage mode" under
> Google Summer of Code 2015. This project has also been listed as an
> idea on BTRFS ideas page. However, I have not found a mentor yet, and
> without a mentor I can not participate in the program. Please let me
> know if anybody is interested in mentoring this project. Here is a
> link to my proposal:
>
> http://harshadjs.github.io/2015/03/27/Fedora-BTRFS-Content-Storage-Mode/

This probably has a significant overlap with the in-band dedup work from
Liu bo [1]. Your proposal expects an interface to look up the data by
hash which hasn't been implemented afaik.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/34097 (v10)

* Re: [GSoC 2015] Btrfs content based storage
@ 2015-04-14 15:21   ` harshad shirwadkar
From: harshad shirwadkar @ 2015-04-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, linux-btrfs; +Cc: Liu Bo

Thanks David and that's true: there will be a large overlap with dedup
work from Liu Bo. In fact, a few days after I sent the first mail, I
got in touch with Liu and he agreed upon mentoring. So, I am all set
now and will start working on the project in May end..

Best,
Harshad.