* About the "git merge" tee-shirt
@ 2015-04-13 20:50 Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2015-04-13 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

For those of you who weren't at the Git Merge conference last week, we
goot a tee-shirt with this drawing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v9bfY0mI8Hi94m4SgqLccFnZ5L_OUlaJSA/view?usp=sharing

I have to say I love that tee-shirt. I already had tee-shirts that only
computer scientists could understand, now I have a tee-shirt that not
even every computer scientist can understand.

Now, I have a problem: I'm not sure I understand what the drawing
represents.

Initially, I thought the circles represented Git contributors, and links
represented people contributing to the same parts of the codebase. But
looking at the output of "shortlog -s", I can't find a correspondance
with the tee-shirt. My second guess is that they represent directories.
But even then, I can't find which of the tee-shirt's circles represents
which directory, and the count doesn't match.

Does anybody have a better explanation? Or is it just a random drawing
to say "Git is bigger than it used to be"?

Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/

* Re: About the "git merge" tee-shirt
@ 2015-04-14  1:05 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2015-04-14  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Moy; +Cc: git

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:50:55PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> For those of you who weren't at the Git Merge conference last week, we
> goot a tee-shirt with this drawing:
> [...]

Oops, you made me realize that I forgot to grab a t-shirt. :)

I'm going to see if we had leftovers (which I guess we should, since
there should have been one per attendee). If you attended but did not
get one, let me know and I'll see if it's possible to get one shipped.

> Initially, I thought the circles represented Git contributors, and links
> represented people contributing to the same parts of the codebase. But
> looking at the output of "shortlog -s", I can't find a correspondance
> with the tee-shirt. My second guess is that they represent directories.
> But even then, I can't find which of the tee-shirt's circles represents
> which directory, and the count doesn't match.
>
> Does anybody have a better explanation? Or is it just a random drawing
> to say "Git is bigger than it used to be"?

I believe it is "gource"[1] output from 2005 and 2015, tweaked by a
graphic designer to make it look nicer.

I do like the design, but it's probably not the most meaningful
representation of git's growth. It is showing that the tree has grown,
but I think it is much more interesting how the number of contributors
has grown (or the number of users!). Unfortunately, exponential graphs
are not as interesting to look at. :)

-Peff

[1] https://github.com/acaudwell/Gource

* Re: About the "git merge" tee-shirt
@ 2015-04-14 16:27   ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2015-04-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git

Jeff King <peff@peff.net> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:50:55PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
>
>> My second guess is that they represent directories.
>> But even then, I can't find which of the tee-shirt's circles represents
>> which directory, and the count doesn't match.
>>
>> Does anybody have a better explanation? Or is it just a random drawing
>> to say "Git is bigger than it used to be"?
>
> I believe it is "gource"[1] output from 2005 and 2015, tweaked by a
> graphic designer to make it look nicer.

That would match my second guess. I guess the tweaks are what make it
hard to do the actual correspondance (there are 53 circles on the
drawing if I counted correctly, and 156 directory in today's Git for
example). The biggest dirs in number of files today are:

./builtin 99
./t/t5515 128
./t/t4013 144
./Documentation 221
./Documentation/RelNotes 242
. 378
./t 774

The directories at 4e7a2eccc21c902918 (Thu Dec 29 01:31:26 2005 -0800)
were:

./Documentation/technical 2
./mozilla-sha1 2
./arm 3
./ppc 3
./compat 4
./Documentation/howto 8
./templates 12
./debian 14
./t/t4100 14
./t 62
./Documentation 126
. 191

So, t/ would be a nice candidate for the big circle on the left hand
side (small in 2005, but biggest as of now), and ./ would be the one on
its right (used to be biggest, but no longer). Documentation/ is the one
at the top (with subdirs howto/ and technical/ in 2005, and the new
RelNotes/ today). I'm not sure where builtin/ is, it was probably
tweaked too much (it's supposed to be rather big in 2015 and inexistant
in 2005, without subdirs).

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/