* btrfs subvolume diff
@ 2015-04-22 16:08 Thomas Koch
From: Thomas Koch @ 2015-04-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi,

for incremental backups it would be useful to know the files that changed
between two snapshots. I found a paper about such a tool[1] that adds the
"btrfs subvolue diff" command, but it's not yet implemented in btrfs-tools in
Debian Jessie.

Is it in Git? Or somewhere else?

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/ols/2014/ols2014-pimpale.pdf

Regards, Thomas Koch

* Re: btrfs subvolume diff
@ 2015-04-23  3:43 ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2015-04-23  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Thomas Koch posted on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:08:30 +0200 as excerpted:

> for incremental backups it would be useful to know the files that
> changed between two snapshots. I found a paper about such a tool[1] that
> adds the "btrfs subvolue diff" command, but it's not yet implemented in
> btrfs-tools in Debian Jessie.
>
> Is it in Git? Or somewhere else?
>
> [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/ols/2014/ols2014-pimpale.pdf

[Note that I'm just a btrfs user and list regular, not a dev, and that my
own use-case doesn't involve subvolumes, tho I played with them a bit
when I first got into btrfs, so my practical subvolume management
knowledge is limited.  But based on current git's manpages...]

The closest thing in git-master, based on my build from a few days ago,
is btrfs subvolume find-new.  That lists the recently modified files
since <generation>, where generation is fed to the command, with a
subvolume's current generation obtainable btrfs subvolume list using its
-g option.  (btrfs subvolume show might also list current gen, the manpage
is vague on what information it shows, and without local subvolumes to
test it with...)

* Re: btrfs subvolume diff
@ 2015-04-23  4:53   ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2015-04-23  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 03:43:35AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Thomas Koch posted on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:08:30 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > for incremental backups it would be useful to know the files that
> > changed between two snapshots. I found a paper about such a tool[1] that
> > adds the "btrfs subvolue diff" command, but it's not yet implemented in
> > btrfs-tools in Debian Jessie.
> >
> > Is it in Git? Or somewhere else?
> >
> > [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/ols/2014/ols2014-pimpale.pdf
>
> [Note that I'm just a btrfs user and list regular, not a dev, and that my
> own use-case doesn't involve subvolumes, tho I played with them a bit
> when I first got into btrfs, so my practical subvolume management
> knowledge is limited.  But based on current git's manpages...]

Not a great answer but better than nothing:
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/btrfs/2014-05.html#Btrfs-diff-Between-Snapshots

(based on find-new)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....