* atusb availability
@ 2015-04-21 15:55 Geoff Chapman
From: Geoff Chapman @ 2015-04-21 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan; +Cc: werner

Hello Mr. Almesberger,

My name is Geoff Chapman, and I am working on project to setup a
simple 6loWPAN network between two laptops running Linux.  I am very
interested in your work on the atusb device detailed at [0], and would
like to use the device in my project.  On each laptop, I would like to
use one of your atusb devices to implement the 802.15.4 MAC/PHY, while
using the 6loWPAN stack in the linux kernel. I picture something like
the following setup for each laptop:

Linux Laptop:

        | Application Layer |

                socket API

        |  6LoWPAN stack |

                       <-----------------USB---------------> atusb
device implementing 802.15.4 MAC/PHY (ATMega32U2 + at86rf233)

I have tried purchasing two atusb devices at [1] without any luck, as
they no longer sell the devices.
I have two questions:

1. Do you have any atusb devices available for purchase?
2. If you have none for purchase, do you have the schematics available
that I can use to wire-up my own atusb device?  The schematic link on
your site [2] seems to be broken.

[0] http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/web/
[1] http://pulster.eu/index.html?d__atusb__NanoNote_wireless_card__atusb_1185.htm
[2] http://projects.qi-hardware.com/schhist/atusb/

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice you could give me.
Thank-you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

--Geoff

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-04-23  8:30 ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-04-23  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Chapman; +Cc: linux-wpan, werner

Hi,

I will try to answer a little bit the questions here.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:55:35AM -0400, Geoff Chapman wrote:
> Hello Mr. Almesberger,
>
> My name is Geoff Chapman, and I am working on project to setup a
> simple 6loWPAN network between two laptops running Linux.  I am very
> interested in your work on the atusb device detailed at [0], and would
> like to use the device in my project.  On each laptop, I would like to
> use one of your atusb devices to implement the 802.15.4 MAC/PHY, while
> using the 6loWPAN stack in the linux kernel. I picture something like
> the following setup for each laptop:
>

> Linux Laptop:
>
>         | Application Layer |
>                 socket API
>         |  6LoWPAN stack |
>                        <-----------------USB---------------> atusb
> device implementing 802.15.4 MAC/PHY (ATMega32U2 + at86rf233)

So you want a HardMAC driver here. That's not how atusb works currently.
The atusb transceiver is a SoftMAC transceiver with _little_ mac
functionality, this contains checks on dsn/bsn to do some correct
frame deliviery in the firmware to the usb host, if I remember
correctly. I think you know that and you want to put full MAC functionality
into the atusb firmware.

We don't have currently any HardMAC drivers mainline, but the idea is to
handle the HardMAC transceivers like wireless, so with the existing
architecture we have a possibility to access HardMAC transceivers and
write HardMAC drivers. But we don't have a HardMAC driver currently and
I think you need to making some movements from SoftMAC layer (net/mac802154)
to cfg802154/netlink (net/ieee802154) layer, or you have workarounds for
that in your driver layer. I would say for HardMAC drivers go ahead and
try to implement your stuff and orient you at existing wireless HardMAC
drivers and simple don't use any functionality from (net/mac802154)
directory.

Another thing is that I don't believe that ATMega32U2 can full store a compliant
802.15.4 stack (maybe depends on your use case), because the ATMega32U2 has 32
KB flash memory. Maybe I am wrong here, if you think you can do that
then I would give it a try.

Another solution would maybe the RZRAVENUSBSTICK [2] which contains and
AT90USB1287 with at86rf230. In my opinion it's the same like atusb but atusb
contains an easier to use 802.15.4 transceiver, smaller mcu (bigger one is not
necessary here), and of course the case is smaller, etc. The AT90USB1287 has a
128 KB flash memory. Schematics of RZRAVENUSBSTICK can be found at [3].

> I have tried purchasing two atusb devices at [1] without any luck, as
> they no longer sell the devices.
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Do you have any atusb devices available for purchase?
> 2. If you have none for purchase, do you have the schematics available
> that I can use to wire-up my own atusb device?  The schematic link on
> your site [2] seems to be broken.

The schematics for atusb can be found at the ben-wpan repository [0],
which also includes the firmware, etc., but this requires the great tool
kicad [1] and _maybe_ some additional libs for electronic components.

- Alex

[0] http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/ben-wpan/source/tree/master/
[1] http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite
[2] http://www.atmel.com/tools/rzusbstick.aspx
[3] http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8117.pdf page 22

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-13 17:24   ` Geoff Chapman
From: Geoff Chapman @ 2015-05-13 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Hi Alex,
I just wanted to thank-you for your reply, it certainly helped with my
understanding.  Initially, I thought the device was a HardMAC device,
so thank-you for correcting me on that.  It seems that the device
simply implements a USB-to-SPI interface.

I have used the schematics at [0] to build a few boards of my own.  I
would like to use the two boards to send data between two laptop
computers running linux.
The description at [1] indicates that the ATMega firmware implements a
"home-brew protocol on top of USB".  My plan is to do the following:

1. Examine the source ATUSB firmware source code to determine the
home-brew protocol.
2. Write some application software in C for the two linux PCs using
Netlink sockets to communicate with the devices and transfer data
between the two PCs.

I was wondering -- do you think I am on the right track?  Do you have
any suggestions?

Thank-you kindly for your time.
--Geoff.

[0] http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/ben-wpan/source/tree/master/
[1] http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/web/

@ 2015-05-13 20:05     ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-05-13 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Chapman; +Cc: linux-wpan

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 01:24:13PM -0400, Geoff Chapman wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> I just wanted to thank-you for your reply, it certainly helped with my
> understanding.  Initially, I thought the device was a HardMAC device,
> so thank-you for correcting me on that.  It seems that the device
> simply implements a USB-to-SPI interface.
>
> I have used the schematics at [0] to build a few boards of my own.  I
> would like to use the two boards to send data between two laptop
> computers running linux.
> The description at [1] indicates that the ATMega firmware implements a
> "home-brew protocol on top of USB".  My plan is to do the following:
>
> 1. Examine the source ATUSB firmware source code to determine the
> home-brew protocol.

that should work, this is what we try to do with the rzusbstick [0],
which have much identically parts like atusb (but atusb is much better
;-))

Then we just need to port the firmware to the rzusbstick.

> 2. Write some application software in C for the two linux PCs using
> Netlink sockets to communicate with the devices and transfer data
> between the two PCs.

No netlink sockets, it's simple an IPv6 socket. What you missing here is
the atusb driver which is not mainline, but I recently send a patch to
support basic operation for atusb. I hope we getting this driver
mainline the next days, if you speak the exactly protocols then it
should work. But _note_ the protocol contains at86rf231 specific
commands which do a register write, look for function:

atusb_write_reg and atusb_read_reg.

Then maybe you need to insert runtime decisions when you not using the
same transceiver. Of course you can send patches for this to make this
behaviour more generic or runtime change that a different register
setting is used.

What I mean is that the protocol isn't a generic 802.15.4 protocol for
all transceivers, but we could make it to somewhat like that. Or you
make different runtime changes when detecting device type while probing.

- Alex

[0] http://www.atmel.com/tools/rzusbstick.aspx

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-22 13:05     ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2015-05-22 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Chapman, Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Hello.

On 13/05/15 19:24, Geoff Chapman wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> I just wanted to thank-you for your reply, it certainly helped with my
> understanding.  Initially, I thought the device was a HardMAC device,
> so thank-you for correcting me on that.  It seems that the device
> simply implements a USB-to-SPI interface.

Funny enough our first driver for it was actually a fake spi master
driver which did nothing else but connected to the normal at86rf23x
driver and transmitted all SPI message over usb to the device. :)

That worked ok-ish but was a performance problem for transmit and
receive. Thus this part was moved into the firmware. We kept the way of
setting register for configurations like this though.

> I have used the schematics at [0] to build a few boards of my own.  I
> would like to use the two boards to send data between two laptop
> computers running linux.

Nice, that you used the same schematics and build your boards!

Do you by any chance have the infrastructure to handle a bigger run of
these? We often get asked about such a device for easy hacking with
ieee802154 from a laptop or desktop without any SPI connections available.

The run Werner did was around 100 - 120 pieces for atusb IIRC. My best
guess would be that there could be interest for another 50-100 depending
on the promotions.

Werner did a great job on documenting the whole design to deliver
process so most pitfalls should be known and the risk reduced. If you
stay with the same chips the firmware and factory testing things are
also ready.

I'm not doing hardware myself so I'm not sure how risky this all could
be but I see a need for this kind of devices. Especially with good
plug'n'play support in the mainline kernel this could have potential.
Still not talking thousands here as it will stay a developer/hacker only
device.

If you have no time/interest/infrastructure for this but someone else
has please speak up here. Going a route through indigogo or kickstarter
might also help to determine the interest to have a better idea who big
a run should be.
> The description at [1] indicates that the ATMega firmware implements a
> "home-brew protocol on top of USB".  My plan is to do the following:
>
> 1. Examine the source ATUSB firmware source code to determine the
> home-brew protocol.
> 2. Write some application software in C for the two linux PCs using
> Netlink sockets to communicate with the devices and transfer data
> between the two PCs.
>
> I was wondering -- do you think I am on the right track?  Do you have
> any suggestions?

Hmm, you really only want to transmit some data between two linux hosts
here, right?
In that case you can simply use the now mainline atusb driver and its
0.2 frimware and tranbsmit your data over the ipv6 sockets we offer with
6lowpan.

Unless I misunderstood you and you wanted to to something more low level
with ieee802165 there would be no need for you to hack on the firmware.
You are welcome to if you want, but I see no need for you right now. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-26 18:29       ` Geoff Chapman
From: Geoff Chapman @ 2015-05-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmidt; +Cc: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Hi Stefan,

>Nice, that you used the same schematics and build your boards!

>Do you by any chance have the infrastructure to handle a bigger run of these? We often get asked about such a device >for easy hacking with ieee802154 from a laptop or desktop without any SPI connections available.

This is exactly the reason I am interested in the device.  I want to
set up a simple 6LoWPAN network, but do not have any SPI connections.

>The run Werner did was around 100 - 120 pieces for atusb IIRC. My best guess would be that there could be interest for >another 50-100 depending on the promotions.

So-far, we have only built two atusb modules.  We are in the process
of loading the firmware and testing, so I am not sure if the boards
are functional yet.  At this time, we are not set up to produce
numbers in the 50-100 range.   This may change once we successfully
test the boards.

>Werner did a great job on documenting the whole design to deliver process so most pitfalls should be known and the risk >reduced. If you stay with the same chips the firmware and factory testing things are also ready.

Yes, Werner's web-site has lots of useful info.  I will report our
status once we complete testing :)

>>Hmm, you really only want to transmit some data between two linux hosts here, right?
Correct.

>In that case you can simply use the now mainline atusb driver and its 0.2 frimware and tranbsmit your data over the >ipv6 sockets we offer with 6lowpan.

>Unless I misunderstood you and you wanted to to something more low level with ieee802165 there would be no need for >you to hack on the firmware. You are welcome to if you want, but I see no need for you right now. :)

Ok that is great info Stephan.  I am not intimately familiar with the
Linux networking stack, so I am not sure exactly how to communicate
with the device.  As you indicated, I assumed I would communicate with
the device via a socket interface. Since I don't really know what kind
of interface is presented by the device, I was thinking that I would
have to dig into the firmware to discover the underlying protocol
needed to control the device.  In other words, once I open a socket, I
am not entirely sure what to do next.   Do you have any suggestions or
references that might help with my understanding?

I hope to be experimenting with the device soon.  When I am
successful, I will share my experiences.

--Geoff

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27  9:06         ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2015-05-27  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Chapman; +Cc: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Hello.

On 26/05/15 20:29, Geoff Chapman wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
>> Nice, that you used the same schematics and build your boards!
>> Do you by any chance have the infrastructure to handle a bigger run of these? We often get asked about such a device >for easy hacking with ieee802154 from a laptop or desktop without any SPI connections available.
> This is exactly the reason I am interested in the device.  I want to
> set up a simple 6LoWPAN network, but do not have any SPI connections.
>
>> The run Werner did was around 100 - 120 pieces for atusb IIRC. My best guess would be that there could be interest for >another 50-100 depending on the promotions.
> So-far, we have only built two atusb modules.  We are in the process
> of loading the firmware and testing, so I am not sure if the boards
> are functional yet.  At this time, we are not set up to produce
> numbers in the 50-100 range.   This may change once we successfully
> test the boards.

Sure, just wanted to lay out what might make sense. Its really up to you
if you want or can do this. A small run might not even be worth the
involved work. Hard to say.

>> Werner did a great job on documenting the whole design to deliver process so most pitfalls should be known and the risk >reduced. If you stay with the same chips the firmware and factory testing things are also ready.
> Yes, Werner's web-site has lots of useful info.  I will report our
> status once we complete testing :)

Cool. Looking forward to it.
>>> Hmm, you really only want to transmit some data between two linux hosts here, right?
> Correct.
>
>> In that case you can simply use the now mainline atusb driver and its 0.2 frimware and tranbsmit your data over the >ipv6 sockets we offer with 6lowpan.
>> Unless I misunderstood you and you wanted to to something more low level with ieee802165 there would be no need for >you to hack on the firmware. You are welcome to if you want, but I see no need for you right now. :)
> Ok that is great info Stephan.  I am not intimately familiar with the
> Linux networking stack, so I am not sure exactly how to communicate
> with the device.  As you indicated, I assumed I would communicate with
> the device via a socket interface.
That is all you really need I think. See below:

>   Since I don't really know what kind
> of interface is presented by the device, I was thinking that I would
> have to dig into the firmware to discover the underlying protocol
> needed to control the device.

Ah, nah. That is what the abstraction should be for. :) The high level
view on how it works is more like this:

o Application open a IPv6 socket to the address it wants to communicate to.
o This socket is offered by the linix IPv6 stack which uses the 6lowpan
adaption layer to work with ieee802154
o The ieee802154 kernel stack plus driver (plus atusb fw in your case)
handles the actual frame sending etc
>    In other words, once I open a socket, I
> am not entirely sure what to do next.   Do you have any suggestions or
> references that might help with my understanding?

If you have two device in the same PAN and with configured ipv6
addresses (test with ping6 for example) opening the socket is all you
need to do in your app. After that all normal sendmsg, sendto, recvfrom,
etc should work like being on normal ipv6. There have been floating
around some example snippets on the list. Maybe we should have some
basic examples inside wpan-tools as well.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 13:00         ` Michael Richardson
From: Michael Richardson @ 2015-05-27 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Chapman; +Cc: Stefan Schmidt, Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Geoff Chapman <geoff.chapman@mmbresearch.com> wrote:
    > Hi Stefan,

    >> Nice, that you used the same schematics and build your boards!

    >> Do you by any chance have the infrastructure to handle a bigger run of
    >>these? We often get asked about such a device >for easy hacking with
    >>ieee802154 from a laptop or desktop without any SPI connections
    >>available.

    > This is exactly the reason I am interested in the device.  I want to
    > set up a simple 6LoWPAN network, but do not have any SPI connections.

I also want to be able to speak 15.4 from a laptop system for diagnostics
and ease-of-coding purposes.  It did take me awhile to figure out that the
atusb was not a product I could buy... I too would be interested.

    >> The run Werner did was around 100 - 120 pieces for atusb IIRC. My best
    >>guess would be that there could be interest for another 50-100
    >>depending on the promotions.

    > So-far, we have only built two atusb modules.  We are in the process
    > of loading the firmware and testing, so I am not sure if the boards
    > are functional yet.  At this time, we are not set up to produce
    > numbers in the 50-100 range.   This may change once we successfully
    > test the boards.

Put it on kickstarter?

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 13:18           ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2015-05-27 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Richardson, Geoff Chapman; +Cc: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Hello.

On 27/05/15 15:00, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Geoff Chapman <geoff.chapman@mmbresearch.com> wrote:
>      > Hi Stefan,
>
>      >> Nice, that you used the same schematics and build your boards!
>
>      >> Do you by any chance have the infrastructure to handle a bigger run of
>      >>these? We often get asked about such a device >for easy hacking with
>      >>ieee802154 from a laptop or desktop without any SPI connections
>      >>available.
>
>      > This is exactly the reason I am interested in the device.  I want to
>      > set up a simple 6LoWPAN network, but do not have any SPI connections.
>
> I also want to be able to speak 15.4 from a laptop system for diagnostics
> and ease-of-coding purposes.  It did take me awhile to figure out that the
> atusb was not a product I could buy... I too would be interested.

Jupp, development convenience really pays off here. Alex is working on
supporting the Atmel usb dongle as well.

http://www.atmel.com/tools/rzusbstick.aspx

It is very similar to the atusb device and Alex already have it working
with the atusb firmware and the atusb mainline driver. So this could be
a device for you. Needs a avr programmer for the firmware writing though.

>      >> The run Werner did was around 100 - 120 pieces for atusb IIRC. My best
>      >>guess would be that there could be interest for another 50-100
>      >>depending on the promotions.
>
>      > So-far, we have only built two atusb modules.  We are in the process
>      > of loading the firmware and testing, so I am not sure if the boards
>      > are functional yet.  At this time, we are not set up to produce
>      > numbers in the 50-100 range.   This may change once we successfully
>      > test the boards.
>
> Put it on kickstarter?

Yeah, that could work. Problems is that someone has to run this.
Production wise but even more logistics and biz wise. I'm not that one,
sorry.

Given that atusb is open hardware with all schematics, production
testing software, firmare, etc available a lot more people could do this
if they are interested.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 13:29           ` Ralph Droms (rdroms)
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) @ 2015-05-27 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Chapman; +Cc: Stefan Schmidt, Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?

- Ralph

> On May 27, 2015, at 9:00 AM 5/27/15, Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>

> Geoff Chapman <geoff.chapman@mmbresearch.com> wrote:
>> Hi Stefan,
>
>>> Nice, that you used the same schematics and build your boards!
>
>>> Do you by any chance have the infrastructure to handle a bigger run of
>>> these? We often get asked about such a device >for easy hacking with
>>> ieee802154 from a laptop or desktop without any SPI connections
>>> available.
>
>> This is exactly the reason I am interested in the device.  I want to
>> set up a simple 6LoWPAN network, but do not have any SPI connections.
>
> I also want to be able to speak 15.4 from a laptop system for diagnostics
> and ease-of-coding purposes.  It did take me awhile to figure out that the
> atusb was not a product I could buy... I too would be interested.
>
>>> The run Werner did was around 100 - 120 pieces for atusb IIRC. My best
>>> guess would be that there could be interest for another 50-100
>>> depending on the promotions.
>
>> So-far, we have only built two atusb modules.  We are in the process
>> of loading the firmware and testing, so I am not sure if the boards
>> are functional yet.  At this time, we are not set up to produce
>> numbers in the 50-100 range.   This may change once we successfully
>> test the boards.
>
> Put it on kickstarter?
>
> --
> ]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
> ]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
> ]     mcr@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 13:32             ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2015-05-27 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Droms (rdroms), Geoff Chapman; +Cc: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Hello.

On 27/05/15 15:29, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
> Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?

Hmm, not sure I got you correctly here. You mean contiki running on the
AVR USBStick compatible with the atusb driver?
If that was you question than the answer is no.

What Alex is working on is the atusb frimware (not contiki based) to
work on the avr stick as well and thus being atusb driver compatible.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 13:47               ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-05-27 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmidt; +Cc: Ralph Droms (rdroms), Geoff Chapman, linux-wpan

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 03:32:09PM +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 27/05/15 15:29, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
> >Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?
> >
> Hmm, not sure I got you correctly here. You mean contiki running on the AVR
> USBStick compatible with the atusb driver?
> If that was you question than the answer is no.
>
> What Alex is working on is the atusb frimware (not contiki based) to work on
> the avr stick as well and thus being atusb driver compatible.

If somebody want a firmware blob, I can upload the bin somewhere. Maybe
somebody has already a rzusb transceiver?

- Alex

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 14:00             ` Michael Richardson
From: Michael Richardson @ 2015-05-27 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Droms (rdroms)
  Cc: Geoff Chapman, Stefan Schmidt, Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Ralph Droms (rdroms) <rdroms@cisco.com> wrote:
    > Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?

Maybe, but I think that the point here is to run the minimal firmware
required to talk to the radio and the USB, and nothing more.

If you run all of Contiki, then you might as well do all the 6lowpan
work there too.

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 16:04                 ` Ralph Droms (rdroms)
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) @ 2015-05-27 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: Stefan Schmidt, Geoff Chapman, linux-wpan

> On May 27, 2015, at 9:47 AM 5/27/15, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 03:32:09PM +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On 27/05/15 15:29, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
>>> Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?
>>>
>> Hmm, not sure I got you correctly here. You mean contiki running on the AVR
>> USBStick compatible with the atusb driver?
>> If that was you question than the answer is no.
>>
>> What Alex is working on is the atusb frimware (not contiki based) to work on
>> the avr stick as well and thus being atusb driver compatible.
>>

> If somebody want a firmware blob, I can upload the bin somewhere. Maybe
> somebody has already a rzusb transceiver?

I have one ... At one point, I knew how to program it, so I can probably find the programmer and load your firmware blob.  So, please do upload the binary and let us know where it is...

- Ralph

> - Alex

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 16:06               ` Ralph Droms (rdroms)
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) @ 2015-05-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmidt; +Cc: Geoff Chapman, Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

> On May 27, 2015, at 9:32 AM 5/27/15, Stefan Schmidt <stefan@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> On 27/05/15 15:29, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
>> Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?
>>
> Hmm, not sure I got you correctly here. You mean contiki running on the AVR USBStick compatible with the atusb driver?
> If that was you question than the answer is no.

I only mentioned Contiki because I have one, which I've currently load with the Contiki code that emulates an Ethernet USB interface.

> What Alex is working on is the atusb frimware (not contiki based) to work on the avr stick as well and thus being atusb driver compatible.

Alex's code - which he offered to upload - would be great for my purposes.

- Ralph

> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 16:07               ` Ralph Droms (rdroms)
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) @ 2015-05-27 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Richardson
  Cc: Geoff Chapman, Stefan Schmidt, Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

> On May 27, 2015, at 10:00 AM 5/27/15, Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>

> Ralph Droms (rdroms) <rdroms@cisco.com> wrote:
>> Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?
>
> Maybe, but I think that the point here is to run the minimal firmware
> required to talk to the radio and the USB, and nothing more.
>
> If you run all of Contiki, then you might as well do all the 6lowpan
> work there too.

I don't particularly want Contiki ... I'd like a raw interface through which I can hand more-or-less raw IEEE802.15.4 frames up to an application.

- Ralph

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-05-27 16:36                 ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2015-05-27 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Droms (rdroms); +Cc: Geoff Chapman, Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

Hello.

On 27/05/15 18:06, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
>> On May 27, 2015, at 9:32 AM 5/27/15, Stefan Schmidt <stefan@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> On 27/05/15 15:29, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:
>>> Is there an atusb-compatible version of Contiki for the AVR USBstick?
>>>
>> Hmm, not sure I got you correctly here. You mean contiki running on the AVR USBStick compatible with the atusb driver?
>> If that was you question than the answer is no.
> I only mentioned Contiki because I have one, which I've currently load with the Contiki code that emulates an Ethernet USB interface.
>> What Alex is working on is the atusb frimware (not contiki based) to work on the avr stick as well and thus being atusb driver compatible.
> Alex's code - which he offered to upload - would be great for my purposes.

Cool. So its all sorted. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: atusb availability
@ 2015-06-02 16:03                   ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-06-02 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Droms (rdroms); +Cc: Stefan Schmidt, Geoff Chapman, linux-wpan

Hi Ralph,

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 04:04:16PM +0000, Ralph Droms (rdroms) wrote:

> > On May 27, 2015, at 9:47 AM 5/27/15, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 03:32:09PM +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> >> Hmm, not sure I got you correctly here. You mean contiki running on the AVR
> >> USBStick compatible with the atusb driver?
> >> If that was you question than the answer is no.
> >>
> >> What Alex is working on is the atusb frimware (not contiki based) to work on
> >> the avr stick as well and thus being atusb driver compatible.
> >>

> > If somebody want a firmware blob, I can upload the bin somewhere. Maybe
> > somebody has already a rzusb transceiver?
>
> I have one ... At one point, I knew how to program it, so I can probably find the programmer and load your firmware blob.  So, please do upload the binary and let us know where it is...

big sorry! I see your mail right now.

To all:
If I doesn't reponse to something, then please response with some "ping" mail.

I upload the firmware, you can download it at [0].

md5sum: a405f23abea9bbf34794f748138931a5  rzusb.bin

Remember this is a very experimental version of the firmware.

- Alex

[0] http://wpan.cakelab.org/firmwares/rzusb.bin