* Kernel 3.19 and btrfs
@ 2015-05-07 16:09 Christian
From: Christian @ 2015-05-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi,

I am relying on btrfs on a couple of work laptops now and things seems
to work. I'm on Ubuntu 15.04. However, I've seen some horror stories
about problems with btrfs on this kernel version. Since Ubuntu 15.04
comes with 3.19 I'm a bit worried I am going to get in trouble at some
point. I'm not technical enough to understand what the threat level is.

I have gotten addicted to subvolumes and snapshots so I would hate to
have to go back to something else.

--
//Christian

* Re: Kernel 3.19 and btrfs
@ 2015-05-07 16:23 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2015-05-07 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 12:09:23PM -0400, Christian wrote:
> I am relying on btrfs on a couple of work laptops now and things seems
> to work. I'm on Ubuntu 15.04. However, I've seen some horror stories
> about problems with btrfs on this kernel version. Since Ubuntu 15.04
> comes with 3.19 I'm a bit worried I am going to get in trouble at some
> point. I'm not technical enough to understand what the threat level is.

The bug has been fixed in 3.19.5. The 3.19(.0) release itself is not
affected either.

* Re: Kernel 3.19 and btrfs
@ 2015-05-07 19:48   ` Timofey Titovets
From: Timofey Titovets @ 2015-05-07 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Christian, linux-btrfs

Ubuntu provide own patched kernel as i know.

Christian, if you have 3.19-15 kernel(shiped with 15.04 by default),
it has affected by deadlock bug while replaying journal.
But as i see in 3.19-16 (you can update) this issues has been fixed.

So, it you install latest updates, all must be okay.

> On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 12:09:23PM -0400, Christian wrote:
>> I am relying on btrfs on a couple of work laptops now and things seems
>> to work. I'm on Ubuntu 15.04. However, I've seen some horror stories
>> about problems with btrfs on this kernel version. Since Ubuntu 15.04
>> comes with 3.19 I'm a bit worried I am going to get in trouble at some
>> point. I'm not technical enough to understand what the threat level is.
>
> The bug has been fixed in 3.19.5. The 3.19(.0) release itself is not
> affected either.

Have a nice day,
Timofey.