* RPi model B - bluetooth-next kernel, shutdown always reboots the RPi
@ 2015-06-04  6:34 Christoffer Holmstedt
From: Christoffer Holmstedt @ 2015-06-04  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan

I know some of you are using the RPi as well so I start by asking here, perhaps
linux-rpi-kernel list is the next step. When I run "shutdown -h 0" the RPi
turns off but in a few seconds U-Boot starts again and boots linux, so I can't
turn it off from software. The only solution is to pull the plug, which will
eventually corrupt the SD card so that is not a good long-term solution.

Others have had simliar problems with kernels 3.8 - 3.12 but back then it was
something about activity on some GPIO (e.g. SCL) could trigger boot. This is
not the case now as my problem exists both with the Openlabs board connected
and disconnected.

There are a lot of moving parts here, during shutdown Raspbian with 4.1.0-rcX
kernel doesn't set proper registers perhaps or U-Boot is missing some
configuration so I'm not sure how to debug this issue.  Installing a fresh
raspbian installation on the SD card with 3.18 kernel "shutdown -h 0" works
just fine. As soon as I "install" U-Boot and the blutooth-next kernel it stops
working.

Any pointers to a solution, debug steps or even a tutorial on how the
shutdown/boot-up process works is appreciated, because I'm totally lost on this
one.

Regards
--
Christoffer Holmstedt

* Re: RPi model B - bluetooth-next kernel, shutdown always reboots the RPi
@ 2015-06-04  7:41 ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-06-04  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Holmstedt; +Cc: linux-wpan

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 08:34:16AM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> I know some of you are using the RPi as well so I start by asking here, perhaps
> linux-rpi-kernel list is the next step. When I run "shutdown -h 0" the RPi

Maybe try "halt"? "halt" should shutdown your RPi, means unmounting
filesystems etc. and stops there (without rebooting) Then it should be
safe to pull the plug.

To poweroff the RPi, the RPi can't do that, it only can reboot itself
which is solved by some watchdog timeout, I suppose. Maybe there exists
self-builded solutions somewhere on RPi sites to shutdown the RPi
somehow (means poweroff).

- Alex

* Re: RPi model B - bluetooth-next kernel, shutdown always reboots the RPi
@ 2015-06-04  9:33   ` Christoffer Holmstedt
From: Christoffer Holmstedt @ 2015-06-04  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: linux-wpan

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 09:41:26AM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 08:34:16AM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> > I know some of you are using the RPi as well so I start by asking here, perhaps
> > linux-rpi-kernel list is the next step. When I run "shutdown -h 0" the RPi
>
> Maybe try "halt"? "halt" should shutdown your RPi, means unmounting
> filesystems etc. and stops there (without rebooting) Then it should be
> safe to pull the plug.
>
> To poweroff the RPi, the RPi can't do that, it only can reboot itself
> which is solved by some watchdog timeout, I suppose. Maybe there exists
> self-builded solutions somewhere on RPi sites to shutdown the RPi
> somehow (means poweroff).
>
> - Alex

"shutdown -h 0", halt, poweroff all end up with the same result. Rebooting
U-Boot and eventually starting Raspbian.

Yea, I probably have to look deeper into some RPi sources and find out how it
works in the 3.18.y series.

--

@ 2015-06-05  9:05     ` Guido Günther
From: Guido Günther @ 2015-06-05  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Holmstedt; +Cc: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 11:33:16AM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 09:41:26AM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 08:34:16AM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> > > I know some of you are using the RPi as well so I start by asking here, perhaps
> > > linux-rpi-kernel list is the next step. When I run "shutdown -h 0" the RPi
> >
> > Maybe try "halt"? "halt" should shutdown your RPi, means unmounting
> > filesystems etc. and stops there (without rebooting) Then it should be
> > safe to pull the plug.
> >
> > To poweroff the RPi, the RPi can't do that, it only can reboot itself
> > which is solved by some watchdog timeout, I suppose. Maybe there exists
> > self-builded solutions somewhere on RPi sites to shutdown the RPi
> > somehow (means poweroff).
> >
> > - Alex
>
> "shutdown -h 0", halt, poweroff all end up with the same result. Rebooting
> U-Boot and eventually starting Raspbian.
>
> Yea, I probably have to look deeper into some RPi sources and find out how it
> works in the 3.18.y series.

This might not help much but I'm seeing the same behaviour here but did
not get around to look into this.
Cheers,
 -- Guido

* Re: RPi model B - bluetooth-next kernel, shutdown always reboots the RPi
@ 2015-06-05  9:12       ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-06-05  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Günther; +Cc: Christoffer Holmstedt, linux-wpan

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:05:41AM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 11:33:16AM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe try "halt"? "halt" should shutdown your RPi, means unmounting
> > > filesystems etc. and stops there (without rebooting) Then it should be
> > > safe to pull the plug.
> > >
> > > To poweroff the RPi, the RPi can't do that, it only can reboot itself
> > > which is solved by some watchdog timeout, I suppose. Maybe there exists
> > > self-builded solutions somewhere on RPi sites to shutdown the RPi
> > > somehow (means poweroff).
> > >
> > > - Alex
> >
> > "shutdown -h 0", halt, poweroff all end up with the same result. Rebooting
> > U-Boot and eventually starting Raspbian.
> >
> > Yea, I probably have to look deeper into some RPi sources and find out how it
> > works in the 3.18.y series.
>
> This might not help much but I'm seeing the same behaviour here but did
> not get around to look into this.
> Cheers,

I am using barebox [0] as bootloader and not seeing this issue. When I
type "halt" several messages are shown and ends with:

[  127.095945] reboot: System halted

no reboot.

- Alex

[0] http://barebox.org/

* Re: RPi model B - bluetooth-next kernel, shutdown always reboots the RPi
@ 2015-06-08 12:29       ` Christoffer Holmstedt
From: Christoffer Holmstedt @ 2015-06-08 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Günther; +Cc: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:05:41AM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 11:33:16AM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe try "halt"? "halt" should shutdown your RPi, means unmounting
> > > filesystems etc. and stops there (without rebooting) Then it should be
> > > safe to pull the plug.
> > >
> > > To poweroff the RPi, the RPi can't do that, it only can reboot itself
> > > which is solved by some watchdog timeout, I suppose. Maybe there exists
> > > self-builded solutions somewhere on RPi sites to shutdown the RPi
> > > somehow (means poweroff).
> > >
> > > - Alex
> >
> > "shutdown -h 0", halt, poweroff all end up with the same result. Rebooting
> > U-Boot and eventually starting Raspbian.
> >
> > Yea, I probably have to look deeper into some RPi sources and find out how it
> > works in the 3.18.y series.
>
> This might not help much but I'm seeing the same behaviour here but did
> not get around to look into this.
> Cheers,
>  -- Guido

That is helpful, at least I know I'm not alone. Can you specify which version
of U-Boot you are using (or are you using another boot loader)?
Alexander isn't using U-Boot so maybe it is something there that is
problematic (I'm using a really old version of U-Boot).

btw. I'm experiencing the exact same behaviour now on my new
Broadwell based laptop...the plot thickens ;)

Regards
--

@ 2015-06-09  8:42         ` Guido Günther
From: Guido Günther @ 2015-06-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Holmstedt; +Cc: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 02:29:31PM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:05:41AM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:

> > > "shutdown -h 0", halt, poweroff all end up with the same result. Rebooting
> > > U-Boot and eventually starting Raspbian.
> > >
> > > Yea, I probably have to look deeper into some RPi sources and find out how it
> > > works in the 3.18.y series.
> >
> > This might not help much but I'm seeing the same behaviour here but did
> > not get around to look into this.
> > Cheers,
> >  -- Guido
>
> That is helpful, at least I know I'm not alone. Can you specify which version
> of U-Boot you are using (or are you using another boot loader)?
> Alexander isn't using U-Boot so maybe it is something there that is
> problematic (I'm using a really old version of U-Boot).

I'm using

    v2015.04-rc4-45-g21866c3

as of commit 21866c34a1b4098a8868c9250daf01baf84c2397.
Cheers,
 -- Guido