* ceph-deploy: install bundled SES / openSUSE distribution packages
@ 2015-06-11 17:37 David Disseldorp
From: David Disseldorp @ 2015-06-11 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Travis Rhoden, Owen Synge

Hi,

The ceph-deploy suse back-end currently pulls down and installs packages
from ceph.com. As we move to shipping Ceph with our own SES / openSUSE
media, I'd like to allow users to also install from the distribution
repositories using upstream ceph-deploy.

Use of bundled Red Hat distribution packages is currently possible via
the rhel back-end, which is enabled with hosts.get(@use_rhceph=true).
For SUSE based distributions, I'd like to proceed with one of the
following options:
1) Rename @use_rhceph to @use_bundled_ceph, and add new sles/opensuse
   back-ends.
2) Change the suse back-end install() function to always use
   distribution packages. The mirror_install(repo) logic triggered by
   --repo-url can continue to be used for installations from other (e.g.
   ceph.com) sources.
3) Pass a @bundled argument to the distro back-end install() function,
   and implement the conditional logic there.

Any thoughts / preferences? I'm leaning towards (2), given that
http://ceph.com/rpm-$release doesn't carry openSUSE or SLES packages for
recent releases.

Cheers, David

* Re: ceph-deploy: install bundled SES / openSUSE distribution packages
@ 2015-06-21 12:36 ` David Disseldorp
From: David Disseldorp @ 2015-06-21 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Travis Rhoden, Owen Synge

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 19:37:47 +0200, David Disseldorp wrote:

> I'd like to proceed with one of the
> following options:
> 1) Rename @use_rhceph to @use_bundled_ceph, and add new sles/opensuse
>    back-ends.
> 2) Change the suse back-end install() function to always use
>    distribution packages. The mirror_install(repo) logic triggered by
>    --repo-url can continue to be used for installations from other (e.g.
>    ceph.com) sources.
> 3) Pass a @bundled argument to the distro back-end install() function,
>    and implement the conditional logic there.
>
> Any thoughts / preferences? I'm leaning towards (2), given that
> http://ceph.com/rpm-$release doesn't carry openSUSE or SLES packages for
> recent releases.

I submitted (2) via: https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy/pull/308
Feedback or merge appreciated. Thanks to Owen for the initial review.

Cheers, David