* Is there a "nossd" option ?
@ 2015-06-21 17:13 Swâmi Petaramesh
From: Swâmi Petaramesh @ 2015-06-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

Hi,

Running a 3.19 Ubuntu kernel,

I'm currently budling a RAID-1 BTRFS set for which every underlying device is
a LUKS-encrypted device itself built out of a bcache device comprised of a
mechanical HD partition + an SSD cache partition.

Looks like it's working.

BUT I see that BTRFS decides by itself to mount with the "ssd" option as
bcache makes it think the device is not "rotational".

However I feel that a mechanical HD plus SSD bcache should probably not be
"SSD-optimized" as the underlying storage is indeed mechanical and bcache
already manages the SSD part optimization by itself - and I'm afraid the "SSD
optimization" could actually cause the mechanical storage to end up being much
more fragmented than it should...

So the question is : Is there a mount option such as "nossd" that I could use
to inhibit the automatic SSD "choice" that BTRFS makes ?

TIA, kind regards.

--
Swâmi Petaramesh <swami@petaramesh.org> http://petaramesh.org PGP 9076E32E

* Re: Is there a "nossd" option ?
@ 2015-06-21 17:31 ` Roman Mamedov
From: Roman Mamedov @ 2015-06-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swâmi Petaramesh; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 19:13:10 +0200
Swâmi Petaramesh <swami@petaramesh.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Running a 3.19 Ubuntu kernel,
>
> I'm currently budling a RAID-1 BTRFS set for which every underlying device is
> a LUKS-encrypted device itself built out of a bcache device comprised of a
> mechanical HD partition + an SSD cache partition.
>
> Looks like it's working.
>
> BUT I see that BTRFS decides by itself to mount with the "ssd" option as
> bcache makes it think the device is not "rotational".
>
> However I feel that a mechanical HD plus SSD bcache should probably not be
> "SSD-optimized" as the underlying storage is indeed mechanical and bcache
> already manages the SSD part optimization by itself - and I'm afraid the "SSD
> optimization" could actually cause the mechanical storage to end up being much
> more fragmented than it should...
>
> So the question is : Is there a mount option such as "nossd" that I could use
> to inhibit the automatic SSD "choice" that BTRFS makes ?

Yes the "nossd" option (written literally like that) does in fact exist.
It would have taken you less time to try if it works, than to write this
long-winded message. :)

--
With respect,
Roman

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Is there a "nossd" option ?
@ 2015-06-21 18:11   ` Swâmi Petaramesh
From: Swâmi Petaramesh @ 2015-06-21 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Mamedov; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

Le dimanche 21 juin 2015 22:31:21 Roman Mamedov a écrit :

> Yes the "nossd" option (written literally like that) does in fact exist.
> It would have taken you less time to try if it works, than to write this
> long-winded message. :)

Possibly. Unless trying a non-existing mount option causes the mount to fail,
thus causing the system boot to fail, thus needing me to boot from a live
rescue CD... that would take much longer than writing an half-page
email ;-)

Best regards.

--

@ 2015-06-21 18:18     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2015-06-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swâmi Petaramesh; +Cc: Roman Mamedov, Btrfs BTRFS

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 717 bytes --]

> On Jun 21, 2015, at 1:11 PM, Swâmi Petaramesh <swami@petaramesh.org> wrote:
>
> Le dimanche 21 juin 2015 22:31:21 Roman Mamedov a écrit :
>>
>> Yes the "nossd" option (written literally like that) does in fact exist.
>> It would have taken you less time to try if it works, than to write this
>> long-winded message. :)
>
> Possibly. Unless trying a non-existing mount option causes the mount to fail,
> thus causing the system boot to fail, thus needing me to boot from a live
> rescue CD... that would take much longer than writing an half-page
> email ;-)

Man pages work well too :)

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/utopic/man8/mount.8.html

Ericÿôèº{.nÇ+‰·Ÿ®‰­†+%ŠËÿ±éݶ\x17¥Šwÿº{.nÇ+‰·¥Š{±ý»k~Ïâ

* Re: Is there a "nossd" option ?
@ 2015-06-21 18:22     ` Roman Mamedov
From: Roman Mamedov @ 2015-06-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swâmi Petaramesh; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS