* [U-Boot] git fsck errors with u-boot
@ 2015-06-29 17:31 Liam R. Howlett
From: Liam R. Howlett @ 2015-06-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

Since git 2.1, there have been a number of new fsck options added which
produce issues when I clone & fsck the repository
git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git

$ git fsck --full
Checking object directories: 100% (256/256), done.
error in tag eb394f56db3e05d00891d6dc36a00df0025cf255: unterminated
header
error in tag 9bf86baaa3b35b25baa2d664e2f7f6cafad689ee: unterminated
header
error in tag c7071e6d645a8e13adb0d4cea2caad27213fa62f: unterminated
header
Checking objects: 100% (325719/325719), done.
Checking connectivity: 325719, done.

These new tests are enabled by default when using git fsck.  I have been
testing with git version 2.4.4.409.g5b1d901 and thought you might want
to know so the error messages can be corrected.

I think these issues were already reported here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot at lists.denx.de/msg175411.html but
were not reproducible.   Can you see if they can be reproduced using a
newer git (2.4 or 2.3) and git fsck --full ?

Thanks,
Liam

* [U-Boot] git fsck errors with u-boot
@ 2015-06-30 11:29 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2015-06-30 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear "Liam R. Howlett",

In message <20150629173158.GD24644@yow-lhowlett-d0.wrs.com> you wrote:

> Since git 2.1, there have been a number of new fsck options added which
> produce issues when I clone & fsck the repository
> git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
> I think these issues were already reported here:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot at lists.denx.de/msg175411.html but
> were not reproducible.   Can you see if they can be reproduced using a
> newer git (2.4 or 2.3) and git fsck --full ?

Indeed these have been reported before - see the full thread at [1]

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/223976

To summarize: there is no problem with the U-Boot repository, but a
false positive in git; the git folks are working on it, and it will
problebly be fixed in later versions of git.  There is no need for any
action on our side.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
:       I've tried (in vi) "g/[a-z]\n[a-z]/s//_/"...but that doesn't
: cut it.  Any ideas?  (I take it that it may be a two-pass sort of solution).
In the first pass, install perl. :-) Larry Wall <6849@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

* [U-Boot] git fsck errors with u-boot
@ 2015-06-30 13:44   ` Liam R. Howlett
From: Liam R. Howlett @ 2015-06-30 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

* Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> [150630 07:29]:
> Dear "Liam R. Howlett",
>
> In message <20150629173158.GD24644@yow-lhowlett-d0.wrs.com> you wrote:
> >
> > Since git 2.1, there have been a number of new fsck options added which
> > produce issues when I clone & fsck the repository
> > git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
> > I think these issues were already reported here:
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot at lists.denx.de/msg175411.html but
> > were not reproducible.   Can you see if they can be reproduced using a
> > newer git (2.4 or 2.3) and git fsck --full ?
>
> Indeed these have been reported before - see the full thread at [1]
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/223976
>
> To summarize: there is no problem with the U-Boot repository, but a
> false positive in git; the git folks are working on it, and it will
> problebly be fixed in later versions of git.  There is no need for any
> action on our side.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Hello Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for the summary and the link.  I appreciate your
time on this matter.

Cheers,
Liam