* Wiki suggestions
@ 2015-07-12 12:26 Marc Joliet
From: Marc Joliet @ 2015-07-12 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I hope it's not out of place, but I have a few suggestions for the Wiki:

- The presentation "NYLUG Presents: Chris Mason on Btrfs (May 14th 2015)" at
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QRWUfBua8 would make a nice addition to the
  "Articles, presentations, podcasts" section.

- The same goes for "Why you should consider using btrfs ... like Google does."
  at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DplcPrQjvA.

- coreutils 8.24 was released early this month:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils-announce/2015-07/msg00000.html.

- While I'm at it: "hilights" should be "highlights" in the btrfs-progs 4.1.1
  news entry.

- The Linux v4.1 news entry is still TBD ;-) .

Greetings
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

[-- Attachment #2: Digitale Signatur von OpenPGP --]

* Re: Wiki suggestions
@ 2015-07-13  6:56 ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2015-07-13  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Marc Joliet posted on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:26:04 +0200 as excerpted:

> I hope it's not out of place, but I have a few suggestions for the Wiki:

Just in case it wasn't obvious...  The wiki is open to user editing.  You
can, if you like, get an account and make the changes yourself. =:^)

Of course, it's understandable if your reaction to web and wiki
technologies is similar to mine, newsgroups and mailing lists (in my case
via gmane.org's list2news service, so they too are presented as
newsgroups) are your primary domain, and you tend to treat the web as
read-only so rarely reply on a web forum, let alone edit a wiki.  I've
never gotten a wiki account here for that reason, either, or I'd have
probably gone ahead and made the suggested changes...

But with a bit of luck someone with an existing (or even new) account
will be along to make the changes...

* Re: Wiki suggestions
@ 2015-07-13 11:18   ` Marc Joliet
From: Marc Joliet @ 2015-07-13 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Am Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:56:17 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>:

> Marc Joliet posted on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:26:04 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > I hope it's not out of place, but I have a few suggestions for the Wiki:
>
> Just in case it wasn't obvious...  The wiki is open to user editing.  You
> can, if you like, get an account and make the changes yourself. =:^)
>
> Of course, it's understandable if your reaction to web and wiki
> technologies is similar to mine, newsgroups and mailing lists (in my case
> via gmane.org's list2news service, so they too are presented as
> newsgroups) are your primary domain, and you tend to treat the web as
> read-only so rarely reply on a web forum, let alone edit a wiki.  I've
> never gotten a wiki account here for that reason, either, or I'd have
> probably gone ahead and made the suggested changes...
>
> But with a bit of luck someone with an existing (or even new) account
> will be along to make the changes...

It's partially a "read-only" habit, but it's also that I'm just not confident
in deciding whether those actually *are* good suggestions, or put differently:
it's the public face of btrfs, and I don't want to accidentally do something to
"ruin" it (to use some hyperbole).

However, if somebody gives me the go-ahead, I might just edit the wiki myself
(though I don't know enough to be able to edit the kernel news entry ;-) ).

--

@ 2015-07-13 16:30     ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2015-07-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Joliet; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 01:18:27PM +0200, Marc Joliet wrote:
> Am Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:56:17 +0000 (UTC)
> schrieb Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>:
>
> > Marc Joliet posted on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:26:04 +0200 as excerpted:
> >
> > > I hope it's not out of place, but I have a few suggestions for the Wiki:
> >
> > Just in case it wasn't obvious...  The wiki is open to user editing.  You
> > can, if you like, get an account and make the changes yourself. =:^)
> >
> > Of course, it's understandable if your reaction to web and wiki
> > technologies is similar to mine, newsgroups and mailing lists (in my case
> > via gmane.org's list2news service, so they too are presented as
> > newsgroups) are your primary domain, and you tend to treat the web as
> > read-only so rarely reply on a web forum, let alone edit a wiki.  I've
> > never gotten a wiki account here for that reason, either, or I'd have
> > probably gone ahead and made the suggested changes...
> >
> > But with a bit of luck someone with an existing (or even new) account
> > will be along to make the changes...
>
> It's partially a "read-only" habit, but it's also that I'm just not confident
> in deciding whether those actually *are* good suggestions, or put differently:
> it's the public face of btrfs, and I don't want to accidentally do something to
> "ruin" it (to use some hyperbole).

All your suggesstions are good, adding more articles/videos/talks should
be easy as there's a section for that already. The news section is
mostly written by me but if you keep your entries consistent with the
rest then it's ok.

There are a few people who watch over new wiki edits and fix/enhance
them if needed.  You can't do too much damage unless you really want to.

* Re: Wiki suggestions
@ 2015-07-13 17:21       ` Marc Joliet
From: Marc Joliet @ 2015-07-13 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Am Mon, 13 Jul 2015 18:30:09 +0200
schrieb David Sterba <dsterba@suse.com>:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 01:18:27PM +0200, Marc Joliet wrote:
> > Am Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:56:17 +0000 (UTC)
> > schrieb Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>:
> >
> > > Marc Joliet posted on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:26:04 +0200 as excerpted:

> > > Just in case it wasn't obvious...  The wiki is open to user editing.  You
> > > can, if you like, get an account and make the changes yourself. =:^)
> > >
> > > Of course, it's understandable if your reaction to web and wiki
> > > technologies is similar to mine, newsgroups and mailing lists (in my case
> > > via gmane.org's list2news service, so they too are presented as
> > > newsgroups) are your primary domain, and you tend to treat the web as
> > > read-only so rarely reply on a web forum, let alone edit a wiki.  I've
> > > never gotten a wiki account here for that reason, either, or I'd have
> > > probably gone ahead and made the suggested changes...
> > >
> > > But with a bit of luck someone with an existing (or even new) account
> > > will be along to make the changes...
> >
> > It's partially a "read-only" habit, but it's also that I'm just not confident
> > in deciding whether those actually *are* good suggestions, or put differently:
> > it's the public face of btrfs, and I don't want to accidentally do something to
> > "ruin" it (to use some hyperbole).
>
> All your suggesstions are good, adding more articles/videos/talks should
> be easy as there's a section for that already. The news section is
> mostly written by me but if you keep your entries consistent with the
> rest then it's ok.
>
> There are a few people who watch over new wiki edits and fix/enhance
> them if needed.  You can't do too much damage unless you really want to.

OK, I'll make the changes then (sans kernel log).

--

@ 2015-07-13 17:33         ` Marc Joliet
From: Marc Joliet @ 2015-07-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Am Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:21:54 +0200
schrieb Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de>:

> OK, I'll make the changes then (sans kernel log).

Just a heads up: I accepted the terms of service, but the link goes to a
non-existent wiki page.

--

@ 2015-07-14  8:09           ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2015-07-14  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Joliet; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 07:33:13PM +0200, Marc Joliet wrote:
> Am Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:21:54 +0200
> schrieb Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de>:
>
> > OK, I'll make the changes then (sans kernel log).
>
> Just a heads up: I accepted the terms of service, but the link goes to a
> non-existent wiki page.

I have reported that to kernel.org admins some time ago (02/2014), but the
ticket is still open. I'll ping it.