* dropping old distros: el6, precise 12.04, debian wheezy?
@ 2015-07-30 13:54 Sage Weil
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-07-30 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, ceph-users

As time marches on it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain proper
builds and packages for older distros.  For example, as we make the
systemd transition, maintaining the kludgey sysvinit and udev support for
centos6/rhel6 is a pain in the butt and eats up time and energy to
maintain and test that we could be spending doing more useful work.

"Dropping" them would mean:

 - Ongoing development on master (and future versions like infernalis and
jewel) would not be tested on these distros.

 - We would stop building upstream release packages on ceph.com for new
releases.

 - We would probably continue building hammer and firefly packages for
future bugfix point releases.

 - The downstream distros would probably continue to package them, but the
burden would be on them.  For example, if Ubuntu wanted to ship Jewel on
precise 12.04, they could, but they'd probably need to futz with the
packaging and/or build environment to make it work.

So... given that, I'd like to gauge user interest in these old distros.
Specifically,

 CentOS6 / RHEL6
 Ubuntu precise 12.04
 Debian wheezy

Would anyone miss them?

In particular, dropping these three would mean we could drop sysvinit
entirely and focus on systemd (and continue maintaining the existing
upstart files for just a bit longer).  That would be a relief.  (The
sysvinit files wouldn't go away in the source tree, but we wouldn't worry
about packaging and testing them properly.)

Thanks!
sage

* Re: dropping old distros: el6, precise 12.04, debian wheezy?
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1507300645130.22099-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-07-30 14:29   ` Jan “Zviratko” Schermer
       [not found]     ` <4B37EB35-008A-41DA-85DC-315314373A59-9HAugxcXKGzk1uMJSBkQmQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Jan “Zviratko” Schermer @ 2015-07-30 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

I understand your reasons, but dropping support for LTS release like this
is not right.

You should lege artis support every distribution the LTS release could have
ever been installed on - that’s what the LTS label is for and what we rely on
once we build a project on top of it

CentOS 6 in particular is still very widely used and even installed, enterprise
apps rely on it to this day. Someone out there is surely maintaining their LTS
Ceph release on this distro and not having tested packages will hurt badly.
We don’t want out project managers selecting EMC SAN over CEPH SDS
because of such uncertainty, and you should benchmark yourself to those
vendors, maybe...

Every developer loves dropping support and concentrating on the bleeding
edge interesting stuff but that’s not how it should work.

Just my 2 cents...

Jan

> On 30 Jul 2015, at 15:54, Sage Weil <sweil-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> As time marches on it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain proper
> builds and packages for older distros.  For example, as we make the
> systemd transition, maintaining the kludgey sysvinit and udev support for
> centos6/rhel6 is a pain in the butt and eats up time and energy to
> maintain and test that we could be spending doing more useful work.
>
> "Dropping" them would mean:
>
> - Ongoing development on master (and future versions like infernalis and
> jewel) would not be tested on these distros.
>
> - We would stop building upstream release packages on ceph.com for new
> releases.
>
> - We would probably continue building hammer and firefly packages for
> future bugfix point releases.
>
> - The downstream distros would probably continue to package them, but the
> burden would be on them.  For example, if Ubuntu wanted to ship Jewel on
> precise 12.04, they could, but they'd probably need to futz with the
> packaging and/or build environment to make it work.
>
> So... given that, I'd like to gauge user interest in these old distros.
> Specifically,
>
> CentOS6 / RHEL6
> Ubuntu precise 12.04
> Debian wheezy
>
> Would anyone miss them?
>
> In particular, dropping these three would mean we could drop sysvinit
> entirely and focus on systemd (and continue maintaining the existing
> upstart files for just a bit longer).  That would be a relief.  (The
> sysvinit files wouldn't go away in the source tree, but we wouldn't worry
> about packaging and testing them properly.)
>
> Thanks!
> sage

* Re: [ceph-users] dropping old distros: el6, precise 12.04, debian wheezy?
@ 2015-07-30 14:30 ` Jan “Zviratko” Schermer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan “Zviratko” Schermer @ 2015-07-30 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

@ 2015-07-30 14:32 ` Jan Schermer
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1507300645130.22099-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: Jan Schermer @ 2015-07-30 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

[...]

P.S. sorry if this reached your more than once, my mail client is having a
very baaad day

@ 2015-07-30 14:34   ` Handzik, Joe
       [not found]     ` <BB7431A1-4C47-42EB-8FD9-4F2B5CA46657-VXdhtT5mjnY@public.gmane.org>
From: Handzik, Joe @ 2015-07-30 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan “Zviratko” Schermer; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

So, essentially, you'd vote that all LTS/enterprise releases be supported until their vendor's (canonical, Suse, red hat) designated EOL date? Not voting either way, just trying to put a date stamp on some of this.

Joe

@ 2015-07-30 14:39       ` Jon Meacham
From: Jon Meacham @ 2015-07-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan “Zviratko” Schermer, Sage Weil
  Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

If hammer and firefly bugfix releases will still be packaged for these distros, I don't see a problem with this. Anyone who is operating an existing LTS deployment on CentOS 6, etc. will continue to receive fixes for said LTS release.

Jon

From: ceph-users on behalf of Jan “Zviratko” Schermer
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:29 AM
To: Sage Weil
Cc: ceph-devel, "ceph-users@ceph.com<mailto:ceph-users@ceph.com>"
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] dropping old distros: el6, precise 12.04, debian wheezy?

- We would stop building upstream release packages on ceph.com<http://ceph.com> for new

@ 2015-07-30 14:42       ` Jan Schermer
From: Jan Schermer @ 2015-07-30 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Handzik, Joe
  Cc: Sage Weil, Jan Zviratko Schermer, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, ceph-devel

Not at all.
We have this: http://ceph.com/docs/master/releases/

I would expect that whatever distribution I install Ceph LTS release on will
be supported for the time specified.
That means if I install Hammer on CentOS 6 now it will stay supported
until 3Q/2016.

Of course if in the meantime the distribution itself becomes unsupported
then it makes sense to stop supporting it for Ceph as well, but that’s
probably not the case here:

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata

I don’t expect Ceph to be supported until EOL of the distro.

Jan

@ 2015-07-30 15:58   ` Brian Kroth
From: Brian Kroth @ 2015-07-30 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Sage Weil <sweil-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> 2015-07-30 06:54:
>As time marches on it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain proper
>builds and packages for older distros.  For example, as we make the
>systemd transition, maintaining the kludgey sysvinit and udev support for
>centos6/rhel6 is a pain in the butt and eats up time and energy to
>maintain and test that we could be spending doing more useful work.
>
>"Dropping" them would mean:
>
> - Ongoing development on master (and future versions like infernalis and
>jewel) would not be tested on these distros.
>
> - We would stop building upstream release packages on ceph.com for new
>releases.
>
> - We would probably continue building hammer and firefly packages for
>future bugfix point releases.
>
> - The downstream distros would probably continue to package them, but the
>burden would be on them.  For example, if Ubuntu wanted to ship Jewel on
>precise 12.04, they could, but they'd probably need to futz with the
>packaging and/or build environment to make it work.
>
>So... given that, I'd like to gauge user interest in these old distros.
>Specifically,
>
> CentOS6 / RHEL6
> Ubuntu precise 12.04
> Debian wheezy
>
>Would anyone miss them?
>
>In particular, dropping these three would mean we could drop sysvinit
>entirely and focus on systemd (and continue maintaining the existing
>upstart files for just a bit longer).  That would be a relief.  (The
>sysvinit files wouldn't go away in the source tree, but we wouldn't worry
>about packaging and testing them properly.)
>
>Thanks!
>sage

As I still haven't heard or seen about any upstream distros for Debian
Jessie (see also [1]), I am still running Debian Wheezy and as that is
supposed to be supported for another ~4 years by Debian, it would be
very nice if there were at least stability and security fixes backported
for the upstream ceph package repositories for that platform.

Additionally, I'll note that I'm personally likely to continue to use
sysvinit so long as I still can, even when I am able to make the switch
to Jessie.

Thanks,
Brian

[1] <http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg19959.html>

* Re: [ceph-users] dropping old distros: el6, precise 12.04, debian wheezy?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1507300645130.22099-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-07-30 19:31 ` Robert LeBlanc
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2015-07-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, Ceph-User

----------------
Robert LeBlanc
PGP Fingerprint 79A2 9CA4 6CC4 45DD A904  C70E E654 3BB2 FA62 B9F1

@ 2015-07-31  7:21     ` Alexandre DERUMIER
From: Alexandre DERUMIER @ 2015-07-31  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Kroth; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

>>As I still haven't heard or seen about any upstream distros for Debian
>>Jessie (see also [1]),

Gitbuilder is already done for jessie

http://gitbuilder.ceph.com/ceph-deb-jessie-x86_64-basic/

@Sage : Don't known if something is blocking to release package officially ?

@ 2015-07-31  9:48   ` Mariusz Gronczewski
From: Mariusz Gronczewski @ 2015-07-31  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:54:13 -0700 (PDT), Sage Weil <sweil-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> So... given that, I'd like to gauge user interest in these old distros.
> Specifically,
>
>  CentOS6 / RHEL6
>  Ubuntu precise 12.04
>  Debian wheezy
>
> Would anyone miss them?

Well, Centos 6 will be supported to 2020, and centos 7 was released a
year ago so I'd imagine a lot of people haven't migrated yet and
migration process is nontrivial if you already did some modificiations
to c6 (read: fix broken as fuck init scripts for few apps)
--
Mariusz Gronczewski, Administrator

Efigence S. A.
ul. Wołoska 9a, 02-583 Warszawa
T: [+48] 22 380 13 13
F: [+48] 22 380 13 14
E: mariusz.gronczewski-EWQ+Go7UwTxWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org
<mailto:mariusz.gronczewski-EWQ+Go7UwTxWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>

* Re: [ceph-users] dropping old distros: el6, precise 12.04, debian wheezy?
@ 2015-07-31 12:33       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-07-31 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: Brian Kroth, ceph-devel, ceph-users, adeza

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> >>As I still haven't heard or seen about any upstream distros for Debian
> >>Jessie (see also [1]),
>
> Gitbuilder is already done for jessie
>
> http://gitbuilder.ceph.com/ceph-deb-jessie-x86_64-basic/
>
> @Sage : Don't known if something is blocking to release package officially ?

I don't think there are specific blockers except Alfredo's time.  We need
to set up another release build target machine in Jenkins.  Alfredo's been
rearchitecting the release build process and I've been hoping he can avoid
touching the old ball of duct tape and add Jessie to the new hotness, but
I'm not sure what the timeline looks like... Alfredo?

sage

@ 2015-07-31 14:18       ` Brian Kroth
From: Brian Kroth @ 2015-07-31 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

That's good to hear.  Thanks for the heads up.  We're going to be
getting another pile of hardware in the next couple of weeks and I'd
prefer to not have to start with Wheezy just to have to move to Jessie a
little bit later on.  As someone said earlier, OS rollouts take some care
to do in large environments.  In the meantime I'll just keep refreshing
http://ceph.com/debian/dists/ every couple of days :)

Cheers,
Brian

Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier@odiso.com> 2015-07-31 09:21:

@ 2015-07-31 16:57     ` Adam C. Emerson
From: Adam C. Emerson @ 2015-07-31 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mariusz Gronczewski; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

On 31/07/2015, Mariusz Gronczewski wrote:
> Well, Centos 6 will be supported to 2020, and centos 7 was released a
> year ago so I'd imagine a lot of people haven't migrated yet and
> migration process is nontrivial if you already did some modificiations
> to c6 (read: fix broken as fuck init scripts for few apps)

If I understand, nobody is proposing to stop supporting CentOS 6 in
Hammer. It makes perfect sense for the LTS release of Ceph to continue
supporting the LTS releases of distributions that were current when it
was released. But Jewel should only have to support RHEL 7 for its life
cycle.

This way newer releases of Ceph can take advantage of newer language,
library, and kernel features and people who need the stability and
assurance of an older, long-term support distribution can continue to
have a stable, long-term support release of Ceph to go with it.