* [Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment; Outreach Programmes
@ 2015-08-03 19:19 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2015-08-03 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I think this is part of the broad recruitment topic, but it's worth
considering in its own right.  We should probably begin by reviewing the
current outreach programmes and whether they're effective.  The
currently running one is the Outreach Programme for Women:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2013/04/announcing-outreach-program-women-internships-linux-kernel-please

Which has been running successfully for a while.  The questions for us
are

     1. Should the programme be broadened (the current OPW one only
        reaches women, not everyone who might need outreach)
     2. Assuming we do decide broader is better, what's the next group
        to reach out to?
     3. Is this type of outreach better than non group specific
        outreach?  One can argue the kernel mentors list was non group
        specific and it didn't seem to get much uptake, so perhaps group
        specific is better?  Essentially is it better for us to invest
        our efforts in specific segments rather than generally?

Just on the premise of 3 we can still improve our overall acceptance
processes, as we have been discussing, in a general way because outreach
is what you do to pull people in, not what processes you have in place
to help them once they are pulled in.

James

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment; Outreach Programmes
@ 2015-08-03 19:23 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2015-08-03 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, James Bottomley wrote:

> I think this is part of the broad recruitment topic, but it's worth
> considering in its own right.  We should probably begin by reviewing the
> current outreach programmes and whether they're effective.  The
> currently running one is the Outreach Programme for Women:
>
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2013/04/announcing-outreach-program-women-internships-linux-kernel-please
>
> Which has been running successfully for a while.  The questions for us
> are
>
>      1. Should the programme be broadened (the current OPW one only
>         reaches women, not everyone who might need outreach)

There are plans to broaden it somewhat, but I don't know the details.

julia

@ 2015-08-04  9:05   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2015-08-04  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: James Bottomley, ksummit-discuss

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 09:23:41PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, James Bottomley wrote:

> > Which has been running successfully for a while.  The questions for us
> > are

> >      1. Should the programme be broadened (the current OPW one only
> >         reaches women, not everyone who might need outreach)

> There are plans to broaden it somewhat, but I don't know the details.

It was rebranded to Outreachy along with a broadening of scope:

   https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment; Outreach Programmes
@ 2015-08-04 17:05 ` Jerry Snitselaar
From: Jerry Snitselaar @ 2015-08-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Mon Aug 03 15, James Bottomley wrote:
>I think this is part of the broad recruitment topic, but it's worth
>considering in its own right.  We should probably begin by reviewing the
>current outreach programmes and whether they're effective.  The
>currently running one is the Outreach Programme for Women:
>
>http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2013/04/announcing-outreach-program-women-internships-linux-kernel-please
>
>Which has been running successfully for a while.  The questions for us
>are
>
>     1. Should the programme be broadened (the current OPW one only
>        reaches women, not everyone who might need outreach)
>     2. Assuming we do decide broader is better, what's the next group
>        to reach out to?
>     3. Is this type of outreach better than non group specific
>        outreach?  One can argue the kernel mentors list was non group
>        specific and it didn't seem to get much uptake, so perhaps group
>        specific is better?  Essentially is it better for us to invest
>        our efforts in specific segments rather than generally?
>
>Just on the premise of 3 we can still improve our overall acceptance
>processes, as we have been discussing, in a general way because outreach
>is what you do to pull people in, not what processes you have in place
>to help them once they are pulled in.
>
>James

It's not an outreach program, but has anyone looked into whether
people that have gone through the Eudyptula challenge have moved on to
contribute to the kernel? I believe as of June, 88 people had
completed the challenge.

Jerry