* Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-03 16:25 Wei Liu
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keir, tim, Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Jan Beulich
  Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2

Committers,

Xen tree is going to branch at 4.6 RC3. I don't want to branch when
master != staging, so please avoid committing new patches to staging now
to let master catch up with staging. Another announcement will be made
when the moratorium is lifted.

Thanks
Wei.

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-04  7:44 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-09-04  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2; +Cc: keir, Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, tim, xen-devel

>>> On 03.09.15 at 18:25, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> Xen tree is going to branch at 4.6 RC3. I don't want to branch when
> master != staging, so please avoid committing new patches to staging now
> to let master catch up with staging. Another announcement will be made
> when the moratorium is lifted.

Hmm, I think you will want to wait for a fix for the ARM64 regression
Julien reported before cutting RC3.

Jan

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-04 11:52   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-04 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich
  Cc: keir, Ian Campbell, tim, Ian Jackson, Julien Grall, xen-devel, wei.liu2

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 01:44:24AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > Xen tree is going to branch at 4.6 RC3. I don't want to branch when
> > master != staging, so please avoid committing new patches to staging now
> > to let master catch up with staging. Another announcement will be made
> > when the moratorium is lifted.
>
> Hmm, I think you will want to wait for a fix for the ARM64 regression
> Julien reported before cutting RC3.

That was reported after I made this announcement.

Judging from the conversation in that thread we already have an idea
what was broken.  Is the fix going to be complex?

I think we can make the decision whether to wait for it based on it's
complexity.

If we're sure it's not going to be too invasive, it doesn't matter if
it's committed before or after branching because the cost of applying
that to two trees would be minimum. Another thing I consider is that we
want OSSTest to have a push over the weekend. With both considerations
in mind, it would be OK if a simple patch gets committed today.

Wei.

> Jan

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-04 12:08     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-09-04 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2; +Cc: keir, Ian Campbell, tim, Ian Jackson, Julien Grall, xen-devel

>> > Xen tree is going to branch at 4.6 RC3. I don't want to branch when
>> > master != staging, so please avoid committing new patches to staging now
>> > to let master catch up with staging. Another announcement will be made
>> > when the moratorium is lifted.
>>
>> Hmm, I think you will want to wait for a fix for the ARM64 regression
>> Julien reported before cutting RC3.
>>

> That was reported after I made this announcement.
>
> Judging from the conversation in that thread we already have an idea
> what was broken.  Is the fix going to be complex?

You may have seen the tentative patch meanwhile - it's a one liner.

> I think we can make the decision whether to wait for it based on it's
> complexity.
>
> If we're sure it's not going to be too invasive, it doesn't matter if
> it's committed before or after branching because the cost of applying
> that to two trees would be minimum. Another thing I consider is that we
> want OSSTest to have a push over the weekend. With both considerations
> in mind, it would be OK if a simple patch gets committed today.

My concern is not about the need for backporting, but about the
usefulness (on ARM64) of an RC3 without that fix.

Jan

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-04 12:12       ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-04 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich
  Cc: wei.liu2, Ian Campbell, tim, Ian Jackson, Julien Grall, xen-devel, keir

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 06:08:18AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >> Hmm, I think you will want to wait for a fix for the ARM64 regression
> >> Julien reported before cutting RC3.
> >>

> > That was reported after I made this announcement.
> >
> > Judging from the conversation in that thread we already have an idea
> > what was broken.  Is the fix going to be complex?
>
> You may have seen the tentative patch meanwhile - it's a one liner.
>
> > I think we can make the decision whether to wait for it based on it's
> > complexity.
> >
> > If we're sure it's not going to be too invasive, it doesn't matter if
> > it's committed before or after branching because the cost of applying
> > that to two trees would be minimum. Another thing I consider is that we
> > want OSSTest to have a push over the weekend. With both considerations
> > in mind, it would be OK if a simple patch gets committed today.
>
> My concern is not about the need for backporting, but about the
> usefulness (on ARM64) of an RC3 without that fix.

I will certainly mention that fix in my email.

But this point is moot since I said in the other email I was happy with
that one-liner applied today.

Wei.

> Jan

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-04 12:56         ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-09-04 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Jan Beulich; +Cc: keir, Ian Jackson, tim, Julien Grall, xen-devel

On Fri, 2015-09-04 at 13:12 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:

> But this point is moot since I said in the other email I was happy with
> that one-liner applied today.

I will do so.

If we are having a push to staging anyway then I also have these candidates
in my folder:

    tools/xen-access: use PRI_xen_pfn
    xen/dt: Handle correctly node with interrupt-map in dt_for_each_irq_map
    build: update top-level make help
    MAINTAINERS: tools/ocaml: update David Scott's email address
    public/io/netif.h: move and amend multicast control documentation

The last one is docs only, but isn't yet acked (I've not read it myself
either).

Would you rather I pushed these now at the same time as the arm64 fix or
wait until later?

Ian.

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-04 13:19           ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-04 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell
  Cc: Wei Liu, tim, Ian Jackson, Julien Grall, Jan Beulich, xen-devel, keir

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 01:56:20PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-09-04 at 13:12 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> >
> > But this point is moot since I said in the other email I was happy with
> > that one-liner applied today.
>
> I will do so.
>
> If we are having a push to staging anyway then I also have these candidates
> in my folder:
>
>     tools/xen-access: use PRI_xen_pfn
>     xen/dt: Handle correctly node with interrupt-map in dt_for_each_irq_map
>     build: update top-level make help
>     MAINTAINERS: tools/ocaml: update David Scott's email address
>     public/io/netif.h: move and amend multicast control documentation
>
> The last one is docs only, but isn't yet acked (I've not read it myself
> either).
>
> Would you rather I pushed these now at the same time as the arm64 fix or
> wait until later?

At the same time - since most are docs update and two patches that touch
code are well understood.

Wei.

> Ian.

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-04 14:42             ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-09-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: keir, tim, Ian Jackson, Julien Grall, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

On Fri, 2015-09-04 at 14:19 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 01:56:20PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2015-09-04 at 13:12 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> > >
> > > But this point is moot since I said in the other email I was happy
> > > with
> > > that one-liner applied today.
> >
> > I will do so.
> >
> > If we are having a push to staging anyway then I also have these
> > candidates
> > in my folder:
> >
> >     tools/xen-access: use PRI_xen_pfn
> >     xen/dt: Handle correctly node with interrupt-map in
> > dt_for_each_irq_map
> >     build: update top-level make help
> >     MAINTAINERS: tools/ocaml: update David Scott's email address
> >     public/io/netif.h: move and amend multicast control documentation
> >
> > The last one is docs only, but isn't yet acked (I've not read it myself
> > either).
> >
> > Would you rather I pushed these now at the same time as the arm64 fix
> > or
> > wait until later?
> >

> At the same time - since most are docs update and two patches that touch
> code are well understood.

All done.

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-07 10:01 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-07 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keir, tim, Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Jan Beulich
  Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 05:25:17PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> Committers,
>
> Xen tree is going to branch at 4.6 RC3. I don't want to branch when
> master != staging, so please avoid committing new patches to staging now
> to let master catch up with staging. Another announcement will be made
> when the moratorium is lifted.

Unfortunately we didn't get a push over the weekend. There is also a
critical bug discovered for migration v2.

I think we should commit the series to fix that migration v2 bug today,
as well as any other pending critical bug fixes.

Wei.

> Thanks
> Wei.

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2015-09-07 10:35   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-09-07 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, keir, tim, Ian Jackson, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Jan Beulich
  Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, 2015-09-07 at 11:01 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 05:25:17PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> > Committers,
> >
> > Xen tree is going to branch at 4.6 RC3. I don't want to branch when
> > master != staging, so please avoid committing new patches to staging
> > now
> > to let master catch up with staging. Another announcement will be made
> > when the moratorium is lifted.
> >

> Unfortunately we didn't get a push over the weekend. There is also a
> critical bug discovered for migration v2.
>
> I think we should commit the series to fix that migration v2 bug today,

OK, will look into it shortly.

> as well as any other pending critical bug fixes.

If there are any then someone will need to point me at a specific set of
patches to commit if they want me to do it.

Ian.

* Commit moratorium for possible rc4
@ 2015-09-24 15:37 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-09-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, keir, tim, Ian Jackson, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Jan Beulich
  Cc: xen-devel

Wei,

It seems like rc4 is about due, but you are away.

So in anticipation of you getting back and wanting to cut rc4 ASAP we
discussed on IRC and decided to institute a commit moratorium from ~now so
that on Monday when you get back stable-4.6 == staging-4.6 (hopefully!) and
you can either call it rc4 or decide there are other things which need to
be committed before rc4.

Committers, please get any commits you think need to be in rc4 done today
or else wait until Wei is back and gives the all clear.

Cheers,
Ian.

* Re: Commit moratorium for possible rc4
@ 2015-09-24 16:05   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: keir, tim, Ian Jackson, Jan Beulich, xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 04:37:14PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Wei,
>
> It seems like rc4 is about due, but you are away.
>
> So in anticipation of you getting back and wanting to cut rc4 ASAP we
> discussed on IRC and decided to institute a commit moratorium from ~now so
> that on Monday when you get back stable-4.6 == staging-4.6 (hopefully!) and
> you can either call it rc4 or decide there are other things which need to
> be committed before rc4.
>
> Committers, please get any commits you think need to be in rc4 done today
> or else wait until Wei is back and gives the all clear.

Thanks for doing this!

(I was planning to send an email tomorrow saying similar things)

> Cheers,
> Ian.

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2022-12-01 15:22     ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2022-12-01 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, Henry Wang, committers

Hi Jan,

On 01/12/2022 15:17, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 01.12.2022 15:32, Julien Grall wrote:
>> I have finally managed to branch 4.17. The tree is now re-opened.
>
> Does this extend to the 4.17 branch as well? I've committed Anthony's
> build fix to staging, but wasn't sure about doing the "backport"
> right away ...

Yes so long the patches have a release-acked-by.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

* RE: Commit moratorium
@ 2022-12-01 15:20     ` Henry Wang
From: Henry Wang @ 2022-12-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel, committers

Hi Jan,

Eventually I think Anthony's patch should be merged to 4.17. Given that
the rc4 tarball has been created so it sounds like committing that patch
to staging-4.17 is fine. But I would like to see Julien's confirmation though.

Kind regards,
Henry

> Jan

* Re: Commit moratorium
@ 2022-12-01 15:17   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2022-12-01 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel, Henry Wang, committers

@ 2022-12-01 14:32 ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2022-12-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: committers, Henry Wang; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi all,

I have finally managed to branch 4.17. The tree is now re-opened.

Please be mindful what you are committing in staging until the final
tarball is ready (hopefully mid-next week) so it is easier to backport
any necessary fix to staging-4.17.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall