* Question about the status of vNUMA in Xen
@ 2015-09-06  7:03 甘清甜
From: 甘清甜 @ 2015-09-06  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I'm a master student from Huazhong University of Science & technology,
China. I'm now researching on Xen optimization under NUMA. I'm puzzled
that if  vNUMA on HVM is enbaded in Xen or not. If yes, which version of
xen support it?

So far, I have read the Xen NUMA Roadmap page and watched the
video about vNUMA in Xen on Youtube. I have known that some work
has been done for vNUMA in Xen. Since my benchmark result show a
great improvement in Xen-4.5.1 when compared with Xen-4.0.1. I'm
puzzled if vNUMA has contributed to that improvement.

* Re: Question about the status of vNUMA in Xen
@ 2015-09-07 10:23 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-07 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 甘清甜; +Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 03:03:13PM +0800, 甘清甜 wrote:
> I'm a master student from Huazhong University of Science & technology,
> China. I'm now researching on Xen optimization under NUMA. I'm puzzled
> that if  vNUMA on HVM is enbaded in Xen or not. If yes, which version of
> xen support it?

Upcoming Xen 4.6 supports vNUMA for HVM guest, with certain limitations.

> So far, I have read the Xen NUMA Roadmap page and watched the
> video about vNUMA in Xen on Youtube. I have known that some work
> has been done for vNUMA in Xen. Since my benchmark result show a
> great improvement in Xen-4.5.1 when compared with Xen-4.0.1. I'm
> puzzled if vNUMA has contributed to that improvement.

No. That's mostly due to other improvements.

Wei.

* Fwd:  Question about the status of vNUMA in Xen
@ 2015-09-08  1:21   ` 甘清甜
From: 甘清甜 @ 2015-09-08  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 03:03:13PM +0800, 甘清甜 wrote:
> I'm a master student from Huazhong University of Science & technology,
> China. I'm now researching on Xen optimization under NUMA. I'm puzzled
> that if  vNUMA on HVM is enbaded in Xen or not. If yes, which version of
> xen support it?

Upcoming Xen 4.6 supports vNUMA for HVM guest, with certain limitations.

> So far, I have read the Xen NUMA Roadmap page and watched the
> video about vNUMA in Xen on Youtube. I have known that some work
> has been done for vNUMA in Xen. Since my benchmark result show a
> great improvement in Xen-4.5.1 when compared with Xen-4.0.1. I'm
> puzzled if vNUMA has contributed to that improvement.

No. That's mostly due to other improvements.

Wei.

I’m sorry that I didn’t express clearly in the last mail. What I want to
know is

that how much the NUMA optimizations (including NUMA-aware VM placement,

NUMA-aware scheduling and vNUMA)  contribute to the improvement

between xen-4.5.1 and xen-4.0.1.  Surely it may also due to other changes.
Thanks!

* Re: Fwd:  Question about the status of vNUMA in Xen
@ 2015-09-08  9:50     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-08  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 甘清甜; +Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2

Please configure your email client properly.

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 01:21:04AM +0000, 甘清甜 wrote:
> [...]

There is wiki page on wiki.xen.org for NUMA-aware scheduling.

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.3_NUMA_Aware_Scheduling

No tests for vNUMA have been done so far. At least not the upstream
version.

Wei.

@ 2015-09-15 15:49       ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2015-09-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)