* sending patch revisions w mutt ???
@ 2015-10-11  1:52 Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2015-10-11  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Looking for help threading my patch revisions in mutt.

I use the mutt -H option to send the original and now I want to send v2 threaded.

I can open mutt, goto thread, select reply, and then read (:r) in the patch
file with vim.  This also means I edit the Subject line manually. None of this is very elegant.

Is there a better way?

Also, do you want it threaded right on top, ie. in reply to the previous
patch message.

Thanks,
alison

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] sending patch revisions w mutt ???
@ 2015-10-12 10:06 ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2015-10-12 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 06:52:27PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> Looking for help threading my patch revisions in mutt.
>
> I use the mutt -H option to send the original and now I want to send v2 threaded.
>
> I can open mutt, goto thread, select reply, and then read (:r) in the patch
> file with vim.  This also means I edit the Subject line manually. None of this is very elegant.
>
> Is there a better way?

For sending patch I always use git send-email. mutt is only for replying
to mails.
for sending v2 threaded you can use --in-reply-to option of git
send-email.

regards
sudip

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] sending patch revisions w mutt ???
@ 2015-10-12 21:35   ` Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2015-10-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 03:36:23PM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 06:52:27PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> > Looking for help threading my patch revisions in mutt.
> >
> > I use the mutt -H option to send the original and now I want to send v2 threaded.
> >
> > I can open mutt, goto thread, select reply, and then read (:r) in the patch
> > file with vim.  This also means I edit the Subject line manually. None of this is very elegant.
> >
> > Is there a better way?
>
> For sending patch I always use git send-email. mutt is only for replying
> to mails.
> for sending v2 threaded you can use --in-reply-to option of git
> send-email.
>
> regards
> sudip

Thanks Sudip!  I used git send-email today. (I still hold out hope of
finding mutt instructs too)

@ 2015-10-12 23:40 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2015-10-12 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 06:52:27PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> Looking for help threading my patch revisions in mutt.
>
> I use the mutt -H option to send the original and now I want to send v2 threaded.
>
> I can open mutt, goto thread, select reply, and then read (:r) in the patch
> file with vim.  This also means I edit the Subject line manually. None of this is very elegant.
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> Also, do you want it threaded right on top, ie. in reply to the previous
> patch message.

For a patch series, send a whole new series, it's easier for me to
figure out.

As for using mutt, it will work, you can just go to the email and do a
well, I do that all the time for "small" patch series.  It's whatever
you get comfortable with.

thanks,

greg k-h