* [Qemu-devel] configure claims I requested feature nettle when I didn't...
@ 2015-10-22 15:17 Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-10-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers

[pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ ../../configure
ERROR: User requested feature nettle
       configure was not able to find it.
       Install nettle devel

...but as you can see I didn't ask for nettle explicitly at all,
so configure should fall back to disabling it, not exiting with
an error.

configure --disable-gnutls seems to work around this. I think
what is happening is that the logic to check for gnutls is
deciding that gnutls exists and so it can set the feature to
yes, but is failing to fall back to "actually, no" if the
user didn't explicitly require gnutls and gnutls needs nettle
and nettle isn't installed.

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] configure claims I requested feature nettle when I didn't...
@ 2015-10-22 15:43 ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2015-10-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 04:17:10PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> [pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ ../../configure
> ERROR: User requested feature nettle
>        configure was not able to find it.
>        Install nettle devel
>
> ...but as you can see I didn't ask for nettle explicitly at all,
> so configure should fall back to disabling it, not exiting with
> an error.
>
> configure --disable-gnutls seems to work around this. I think
> what is happening is that the logic to check for gnutls is
> deciding that gnutls exists and so it can set the feature to
> yes, but is failing to fall back to "actually, no" if the
> user didn't explicitly require gnutls and gnutls needs nettle
> and nettle isn't installed.

Yes, if configure finds  gnutls, it tries to figure out if gnutls
links to nettle or gcrypt, and then checks for the corresponding
one. It fails if gnutls is found, but the corresponding nettle/gcrypt
is not found, on the basis that that should not actually happen, as
installing gnutls-dev should pull in nettle-dev/gcrypt-dev packages
as appropriate.

Did you only see this with todays master ?  This particular hard failure
logic was present even before commit 4e2abbeacce6e12e62a0183c67936c807b19c3b9
so I would expect you to see it all the way back to
ed754746fea55df726f4de3dadb5bea0b6aa7409

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: [Qemu-devel] configure claims I requested feature nettle when I didn't...
@ 2015-10-22 16:09   ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-10-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 22 October 2015 at 16:43, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
> Yes, if configure finds  gnutls, it tries to figure out if gnutls
> links to nettle or gcrypt, and then checks for the corresponding
> one. It fails if gnutls is found, but the corresponding nettle/gcrypt
> is not found, on the basis that that should not actually happen, as
> installing gnutls-dev should pull in nettle-dev/gcrypt-dev packages
> as appropriate.

This doesn't appear to be true in practice:

[pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ yum list gnutls-devel
Installed Packages
gnutls-devel.ppc64                    3.1.26-2.fc20                     @updates
Available Packages
gnutls-devel.ppc                      3.1.26-2.fc20                     updates
[pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ yum list libgcrypt-devel
Available Packages
libgcrypt-devel.ppc                      1.5.3-2.fc20                     fedora
libgcrypt-devel.ppc64                    1.5.3-2.fc20                     fedora
[pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ yum list nettle-devel
Available Packages
nettle-devel.ppc                       2.7.1-3.fc20                      updates
nettle-devel.ppc64                     2.7.1-3.fc20                      updates

(This is gcc110 in the FSF compile farm, if you happen to have
a compile farm account.)

> Did you only see this with todays master ?  This particular hard failure
> logic was present even before commit 4e2abbeacce6e12e62a0183c67936c807b19c3b9
> so I would expect you to see it all the way back to
> ed754746fea55df726f4de3dadb5bea0b6aa7409

The machine in question (a ppc64be system running Fedora 20) has
had a fresh OS install and a bunch of dev packages installed
today, which is why I noticed it. I suspect it previously did
not have any of the gnutls dev packages.

@ 2015-10-22 16:11     ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2015-10-22 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 05:09:14PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 22 October 2015 at 16:43, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Yes, if configure finds  gnutls, it tries to figure out if gnutls
> > links to nettle or gcrypt, and then checks for the corresponding
> > one. It fails if gnutls is found, but the corresponding nettle/gcrypt
> > is not found, on the basis that that should not actually happen, as
> > installing gnutls-dev should pull in nettle-dev/gcrypt-dev packages
> > as appropriate.
>
> This doesn't appear to be true in practice:
>
> [pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ yum list gnutls-devel
> Installed Packages
> gnutls-devel.ppc64                    3.1.26-2.fc20                     @updates
> Available Packages
> gnutls-devel.ppc                      3.1.26-2.fc20                     updates
> [pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ yum list libgcrypt-devel
> Available Packages
> libgcrypt-devel.ppc                      1.5.3-2.fc20                     fedora
> libgcrypt-devel.ppc64                    1.5.3-2.fc20                     fedora
> [pm215@gcc1-power7 all]$ yum list nettle-devel
> Available Packages
> nettle-devel.ppc                       2.7.1-3.fc20                      updates
> nettle-devel.ppc64                     2.7.1-3.fc20                      updates
>
> (This is gcc110 in the FSF compile farm, if you happen to have
> a compile farm account.)
>
> > Did you only see this with todays master ?  This particular hard failure
> > logic was present even before commit 4e2abbeacce6e12e62a0183c67936c807b19c3b9
> > so I would expect you to see it all the way back to
> > ed754746fea55df726f4de3dadb5bea0b6aa7409
>
> The machine in question (a ppc64be system running Fedora 20) has
> had a fresh OS install and a bunch of dev packages installed
> today, which is why I noticed it. I suspect it previously did
> not have any of the gnutls dev packages.

Ok, I will fix this, as part of the pull request I already have pending
and send a new pull request.

Regards,
Daniel