* depmod: modules in dependency cycles
@ 2015-10-29  9:40 Eva Rachel Retuya
From: Eva Rachel Retuya @ 2015-10-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hi,

After successfully finishing a few patches and rebasing my branch to
obtain the latest updates, I have run into this problem that keeps me
from updating my kernel and therefore won't let me test patch/es I
intend to send.

A snippet of my "failed" installation can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/8WzV1Ayn

I'd like to ask for help as to how to resolve this issue. My searches so
far did not yield enough information for me to successfully solve this
on my own. What I am doing lately was to boot to my stable kernel
(3.16.0-38), copy its config to .config as directed from the tutorial. Compile the kernel and install (sudo make modules_install install). The end result are as indicated on the pastebin link. Even booting from my last-known working "latest" kernel (rc5) yields the same result.

I reviewed the config and the lustre components were selected as
modules. It worked without a hitch before so I'm puzzled as to why the
said modules are in dependency cycles now. I also did "make clean" and
recompiled from scratch, still no dice.

Thank you in advance,
Eva

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] depmod: modules in dependency cycles
@ 2015-10-29 14:41 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2015-10-29 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eva Rachel Retuya; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After successfully finishing a few patches and rebasing my branch to
> obtain the latest updates, I have run into this problem that keeps me
> from updating my kernel and therefore won't let me test patch/es I
> intend to send.
>
> A snippet of my "failed" installation can be found here:
> http://pastebin.com/8WzV1Ayn
>
> I'd like to ask for help as to how to resolve this issue. My searches so
> far did not yield enough information for me to successfully solve this
> on my own. What I am doing lately was to boot to my stable kernel
> (3.16.0-38), copy its config to .config as directed from the tutorial. Compile the kernel and install (sudo make modules_install install). The end result are as indicated on the pastebin link. Even booting from my last-known working "latest" kernel (rc5) yields the same result.

I usually use make allyesconfig.  Maybe try that.

julia

@ 2015-10-30  6:41   ` Eva Rachel Retuya
       [not found]     ` <alpine.DEB.2.02.1510300745180.2253@localhost6.localdomain6>
From: Eva Rachel Retuya @ 2015-10-30  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 03:41:54PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After successfully finishing a few patches and rebasing my branch to
> > obtain the latest updates, I have run into this problem that keeps me
> > from updating my kernel and therefore won't let me test patch/es I
> > intend to send.
> >
> > A snippet of my "failed" installation can be found here:
> > http://pastebin.com/8WzV1Ayn
> >
> > I'd like to ask for help as to how to resolve this issue. My searches so
> > far did not yield enough information for me to successfully solve this
> > on my own. What I am doing lately was to boot to my stable kernel
> > (3.16.0-38), copy its config to .config as directed from the tutorial. Compile the kernel and install (sudo make modules_install install). The end result are as indicated on the pastebin link. Even booting from my last-known working "latest" kernel (rc5) yields the same result.
>
> I usually use make allyesconfig.  Maybe try that.
>
> julia

I tried allyesconfig and was able to install the modules fine without the dependency issue popping out. However, I cannot seem to load any module (modprobe/insmod) without it spouting 'directory not found' messages. Before the dependency issue, modprobe works. I also checked the directory that should house the said modules and it looked fine to me.

Right now I'm retracing my steps, incorporating the advice so far. I will update again after a few hours of my progress whether the new issue still persists.

@ 2015-10-30  6:59     ` Sudip Mukherjee
       [not found]     ` <alpine.DEB.2.02.1510300745180.2253@localhost6.localdomain6>
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2015-10-30  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eva Rachel Retuya; +Cc: Julia Lawall, outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 02:41:41PM +0800, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 03:41:54PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After successfully finishing a few patches and rebasing my branch to
> > > obtain the latest updates, I have run into this problem that keeps me
> > > from updating my kernel and therefore won't let me test patch/es I
> > > intend to send.
> > >
> > > A snippet of my "failed" installation can be found here:
> > > http://pastebin.com/8WzV1Ayn
> > >
> > > I'd like to ask for help as to how to resolve this issue. My searches so
> > > far did not yield enough information for me to successfully solve this
> > > on my own. What I am doing lately was to boot to my stable kernel
> > > (3.16.0-38), copy its config to .config as directed from the tutorial. Compile the kernel and install (sudo make modules_install install). The end result are as indicated on the pastebin link. Even booting from my last-known working "latest" kernel (rc5) yields the same result.
> >
> > I usually use make allyesconfig.  Maybe try that.
> >
> > julia
> >

> I tried allyesconfig and was able to install the modules fine without the dependency issue popping out. However, I cannot seem to load any module (modprobe/insmod) without it spouting 'directory not found' messages. Before the dependency issue, modprobe works. I also checked the directory that should house the said modules and it looked fine to me.
>
> Right now I'm retracing my steps, incorporating the advice so far. I will update again after a few hours of my progress whether the new issue still persists.

Can you also reset your tree before your next try. Maybe something has
changed. git reset --hard <tree/branch>

regards
sudip

@ 2015-10-30 14:47       ` Eva Rachel Retuya
From: Eva Rachel Retuya @ 2015-10-30 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 07:47:40AM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:

> > > I usually use make allyesconfig.  Maybe try that.
> > >
> > > julia
> > >

> > I tried allyesconfig and was able to install the modules fine without the dependency issue popping out. However, I cannot seem to load any module (modprobe/insmod) without it spouting 'directory not found' messages. Before the dependency issue, modprobe works. I also checked the directory that should house the said modules and it looked fine to me.
> >
> > Right now I'm retracing my steps, incorporating the advice so far. I will update again after a few hours of my progress whether the new issue still persists.
>
> Considering that there are only four more days for submitting patches, I
> would suggest that you spend your time on that now, and solve the module
> issue afterwards.  For now, you don't need to be actually testing your
> patches, just compiling them.  Most patches are very hard to test anyway,
> because you don't have the relevant device.  For the actual internship
> it's different, if your mentor can send a device to you.  So it is
> important to solve the problem.  It is just not quite so urgent.
>
> julia

Okay, I will. The only reason I kept fixated on resolving that issue is
that I think it keeps me from successfully installing modules I wish to
load with modprobe/insmod.

I have a question with the small task for the projects, does that need
to be fulfilled by Nov.2 also?

@ 2015-10-30 14:49       ` Eva Rachel Retuya
From: Eva Rachel Retuya @ 2015-10-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:29:08PM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 02:41:41PM +0800, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:

> > > I usually use make allyesconfig.  Maybe try that.
> > >
> > > julia
> > >

> > I tried allyesconfig and was able to install the modules fine without the dependency issue popping out. However, I cannot seem to load any module (modprobe/insmod) without it spouting 'directory not found' messages. Before the dependency issue, modprobe works. I also checked the directory that should house the said modules and it looked fine to me.
> >
> > Right now I'm retracing my steps, incorporating the advice so far. I will update again after a few hours of my progress whether the new issue still persists.
>
> Can you also reset your tree before your next try. Maybe something has
> changed. git reset --hard <tree/branch>
>
> regards
> sudip

I tried this but still the dependency issue persist. Thank you
for the idea regardless.

@ 2015-10-30 15:10         ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2015-10-30 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eva Rachel Retuya; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

> I have a question with the small task for the projects, does that need
> to be fulfilled by Nov.2 also?

Yes.

julia