* restricting counted/sampled events
@ 2015-11-12 18:18 Tony Jones
From: Tony Jones @ 2015-11-12 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

I don't believe there is current support to do this,  but maybe I'm overlooking something?

I'd like to be able to restrict the pmu (or filter results) to report counting/sampling between two arbitrary code points,  such as a tracepoint or kprobe.

I believe it will require core perf changes and was curious on peoples thoughts?

Tony

* Re: restricting counted/sampled events
@ 2015-11-12 22:58 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2015-11-12 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Jones; +Cc: linux-perf-users

Tony Jones <tonyj@suse.de> writes:

> I don't believe there is current support to do this,  but maybe I'm overlooking something?

It may be possible in systemtap, but not in the builtin tracers yes.

> I'd like to be able to restrict the pmu (or filter results) to report counting/sampling between two arbitrary code points,  such as a tracepoint or kprobe.
>
> I believe it will require core perf changes and was curious on peoples thoughts?

I'm not sure about messing with sampling (you can always filter that
later).

But able to collect PMU counter values are kprobes/tracepoints would be
fairly useful yes. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.

-Andi

--
ak@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only

* Re: restricting counted/sampled events
@ 2015-11-12 23:08 ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2015-11-12 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Jones; +Cc: linux-perf-users, Jiri Olsa

Em Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:18:02AM -0800, Tony Jones escreveu:

> I don't believe there is current support to do this,  but maybe I'm
> overlooking something?

> I'd like to be able to restrict the pmu (or filter results) to report
> counting/sampling between two arbitrary code points,  such as a
> tracepoint or kprobe.

> I believe it will require core perf changes and was curious on peoples
> thoughts?

Something like this:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/25/227

Jiri?

- Arnaldo

* Re: restricting counted/sampled events
@ 2015-11-13  0:05   ` Tony Jones
From: Tony Jones @ 2015-11-13  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo; +Cc: linux-perf-users, Jiri Olsa

On 11/12/2015 03:08 PM, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:18:02AM -0800, Tony Jones escreveu:
>
>> I don't believe there is current support to do this,  but maybe I'm
>> overlooking something?
>
>> I'd like to be able to restrict the pmu (or filter results) to report
>> counting/sampling between two arbitrary code points,  such as a
>> tracepoint or kprobe.
>
>> I believe it will require core perf changes and was curious on peoples
>> thoughts?
>
> Something like this:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/25/227

Yes, I'd not found that in my searching.   Thanks for the ptr.

* Re: restricting counted/sampled events
@ 2015-11-16  8:59   ` Jiri Olsa
From: Jiri Olsa @ 2015-11-16  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
  Cc: Tony Jones, linux-perf-users, Jiri Olsa, Stephane Eranian,
	Frederic Weisbecker

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:08:07PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:18:02AM -0800, Tony Jones escreveu:
>
> > I don't believe there is current support to do this,  but maybe I'm
> > overlooking something?
>
> > I'd like to be able to restrict the pmu (or filter results) to report
> > counting/sampling between two arbitrary code points,  such as a
> > tracepoint or kprobe.
>
> > I believe it will require core perf changes and was curious on peoples
> > thoughts?
>
> Something like this:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/25/227
>
> Jiri?

yep.. sounds like toggling ;-) this code was put aside ATM

not sure it'll be ressurected soon, but I remember Stephane asked
me about that some time ago (CC-ed), maybe he has more info

jirka

* Re: restricting counted/sampled events
@ 2015-11-16 16:26     ` Tony Jones
From: Tony Jones @ 2015-11-16 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Olsa, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
  Cc: linux-perf-users, Jiri Olsa, Stephane Eranian, Frederic Weisbecker

On 11/16/2015 12:59 AM, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:08:07PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>> Em Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:18:02AM -0800, Tony Jones escreveu:
>>
>>> I don't believe there is current support to do this,  but maybe I'm
>>> overlooking something?
>>
>>> I'd like to be able to restrict the pmu (or filter results) to report
>>> counting/sampling between two arbitrary code points,  such as a
>>> tracepoint or kprobe.
>>
>>> I believe it will require core perf changes and was curious on peoples
>>> thoughts?
>>
>> Something like this:
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/25/227
>>
>> Jiri?
>
> yep.. sounds like toggling ;-) this code was put aside ATM
>
> not sure it'll be ressurected soon, but I remember Stephane asked
> me about that some time ago (CC-ed), maybe he has more info
>
> jirka

If noone is currently working on it, I'd be interested in taking it over.

Tony