* Dependency query regarding contrib scripts
@ 2015-12-01 16:52 Richard Ipsum
From: Richard Ipsum @ 2015-12-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

Having read the docs for integrating new subcommands into git[1] I am looking
for some clarification of the following,

"While we strongly encourage coding in portable C for portability,
these [C, shell, perl] specific scripting languages are also acceptable.
We won’t accept more without a very strong technical case,
as we don’t want to broaden the Git suite’s required dependencies"

Does this also mean that use of non-core modules by, for example, perl scripts,
is out of the question for contrib scripts? Or is it acceptable but ideally
minimised?

In particular I'd like to be able to make use of Git::Raw[2] and also ideally
the Moo framework[3].

Thanks,
Richard Ipsum

[1]: ftp://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v2.4.0/howto/new-command.html
[2]: http://search.cpan.org/~jacquesg/Git-Raw-0.58/lib/Git/Raw.pm
[3]: http://search.cpan.org/~haarg/Moo-2.000002/lib/Moo.pm

* Re: Dependency query regarding contrib scripts
@ 2015-12-01 20:52 ` Jonathan Nieder
From: Jonathan Nieder @ 2015-12-01 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Ipsum; +Cc: git

Richard Ipsum wrote:

> Having read the docs for integrating new subcommands into git[1] I am looking
> for some clarification of the following,
>
> "While we strongly encourage coding in portable C for portability,
> these [C, shell, perl] specific scripting languages are also acceptable.
> We won’t accept more without a very strong technical case,
> as we don’t want to broaden the Git suite’s required dependencies"
>
> Does this also mean that use of non-core modules by, for example, perl scripts,
> is out of the question for contrib scripts? Or is it acceptable but ideally
> minimised?
>
> In particular I'd like to be able to make use of Git::Raw[2] and also ideally
> the Moo framework[3].

contrib is its own world.  Your best bet is to ask the maintainer of
the relevant contrib script what kind of portability they require
(cc-ing this list).

If you are the maintainer, then go wild. ;-)

Thanks,
Jonathan