* [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
@ 2015-11-24  4:58 Amit Shah
From: Amit Shah @ 2015-11-24  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu list
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, armbru, jcmvbkbc,
	kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, quintela, agraf, borntraeger, sw,
	marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier, ehabkost,
	stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio, alex.williamson, stefanha,
	cornelia.huck, jsnow, rth, kwolf, mreitz, pbonzini, afaerber,
	aurelien

Hello,

The 2.5 release is close - and I'm collecting a list of notable
changes and features once more.  The video made for the 2.4 release
[1] was popular, and I'm volunteering to make one for 2.5 as well.  In
addition, we need more feature pages, and there's a template at [2]
that you can use to base feature pages off.

I've CC'ed maintainers whose pull reqs got merged for the 2.5 cycle,
but this is not restricted to maintainers only - feature owners are
welcome to submit their videos and author feature pages as well --
please coordinate with the maintainers who sent pull reqs so there's
no duplication of content for the video.

Please get me the videos before Monday, 7 December, and I can then get
the final video ready in time for the 10th December release date.

For the feature pages, please link them to the ChangeLog page at [3].

Details:

This time, we can actually put the video out on release day (even
within the release announcement?) since we have a bit of time on
hands.  Can you please go through the notable enhancements in your
subsystems for the 2.5 release, and send me a short (max. 2 mins)
video highlighting the changes in 2.5, and optionally something about
where we're headed in the future with those changes?  A brief note on
how those changes impact users (directly, or via higher level
software, e.g. openstack) will be useful.

The video can be shot using a phone camera (preferably the main
camera), or a webcam / laptop cam.  For consistency, it's better if
the videos are at least 720p (higher the better!), and have as less
background noise as possible.  I can remove the background noise using
audacity, but that makes the main voice sound robotic, so it's better
not to resort to that.

Please upload to some file sharing service (preferably no login
required), and send me a pointer.

Additionally, more search-friendly text-based feature pages help
users, testers and future contributors a lot, so please create feature
pages for major changes, and include as much information as possible.
The template at [2] should be a good start to help thinking about what
information to include.

[1] http://log.amitshah.net/2015/09/qemu-maintainers-on-the-2-4-release/
[2] http://qemu-project.org/NewFeatureTemplate
[3] http://qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.5

Thanks,

		Amit

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
@ 2015-12-01 12:16 ` Amit Shah
                     ` (6 more replies)
From: Amit Shah @ 2015-12-01 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu list
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, armbru, jcmvbkbc,
	kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela, agraf, borntraeger, sw,
	marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier, thuth, ehabkost,
	stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio, alex.williamson, stefanha,
	cornelia.huck, jsnow, rth, kwolf, kbastian, mreitz, pbonzini,
	afaerber, aurelien

Ping.

I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
planning on doing this.

Thanks,

@ 2015-12-01 12:44   ` Andreas Färber
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Färber @ 2015-12-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Shah, qemu list
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jasowang, mark.cave-ayland, armbru, jcmvbkbc,
	kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela, agraf, borntraeger, sw,
	marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jcody, lvivier, thuth, ehabkost,
	stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio, alex.williamson, stefanha,
	cornelia.huck, jsnow, rth, kwolf, kbastian, mreitz, pbonzini,
	aurelien

Hi,

Am 01.12.2015 um 13:16 schrieb Amit Shah:
> Ping.
>
> I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> planning on doing this.

No. I don't recall merging any big 2.5 feature worth describing, and I
have neither time nor sufficient knowledge for producing videos myself.

Regards,
Andreas

> Thanks,
>
> On (Tue) 24 Nov 2015 [10:28:25], Amit Shah wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The 2.5 release is close - and I'm collecting a list of notable
>> changes and features once more.  The video made for the 2.4 release
>> [1] was popular, and I'm volunteering to make one for 2.5 as well.  In
>> addition, we need more feature pages, and there's a template at [2]
>> that you can use to base feature pages off.
>>
>> I've CC'ed maintainers whose pull reqs got merged for the 2.5 cycle,
>> but this is not restricted to maintainers only - feature owners are
>> welcome to submit their videos and author feature pages as well --
>> please coordinate with the maintainers who sent pull reqs so there's
>> no duplication of content for the video.
>>
>> Please get me the videos before Monday, 7 December, and I can then get
>> the final video ready in time for the 10th December release date.
>>
>> For the feature pages, please link them to the ChangeLog page at [3].
>>
>> Details:
>>
>> This time, we can actually put the video out on release day (even
>> within the release announcement?) since we have a bit of time on
>> hands.  Can you please go through the notable enhancements in your
>> subsystems for the 2.5 release, and send me a short (max. 2 mins)
>> video highlighting the changes in 2.5, and optionally something about
>> where we're headed in the future with those changes?  A brief note on
>> how those changes impact users (directly, or via higher level
>> software, e.g. openstack) will be useful.
>>
>> The video can be shot using a phone camera (preferably the main
>> camera), or a webcam / laptop cam.  For consistency, it's better if
>> the videos are at least 720p (higher the better!), and have as less
>> background noise as possible.  I can remove the background noise using
>> audacity, but that makes the main voice sound robotic, so it's better
>> not to resort to that.
>>
>> Please upload to some file sharing service (preferably no login
>> required), and send me a pointer.
>>

>> Additionally, more search-friendly text-based feature pages help
>> users, testers and future contributors a lot, so please create feature
>> pages for major changes, and include as much information as possible.
>> The template at [2] should be a good start to help thinking about what
>> information to include.
>>

>> [1] http://log.amitshah.net/2015/09/qemu-maintainers-on-the-2-4-release/
>> [2] http://qemu-project.org/NewFeatureTemplate
>> [3] http://qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.5
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> 		Amit
>>

> 		Amit

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
@ 2015-12-01 15:25   ` Bastian Koppelmann
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastian Koppelmann @ 2015-12-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Shah, qemu list
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jasowang, mark.cave-ayland, mdroth, jcmvbkbc,
	kraxel, dgibson, berto, quintela, armbru, borntraeger,
	marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jcody, lvivier, thuth, ehabkost,
	stefano.stabellini, sw, riku.voipio, mjt, stefanha,
	cornelia.huck, jsnow, rth, kwolf, agraf, alex.williamson, mreitz,

On 12/01/2015 01:16 PM, Amit Shah wrote:
> Ping.
>
> I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> planning on doing this.

Sorry Amit, no noticeable changes from me.

Cheers,
Bastian

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
@ 2015-12-01 15:47   ` Michael Tokarev
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2015-12-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Shah, qemu list
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, armbru, jcmvbkbc,
	kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela, agraf, borntraeger,
	marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier, thuth, ehabkost,
	stefano.stabellini, sw, riku.voipio, alex.williamson, stefanha,

01.12.2015 15:16, Amit Shah wrote:
> Ping.
>
> I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> planning on doing this.

There were no noticeable changes in the trivial tree, that's why it
is "trivial" after all :)

Thanks,

/mjt

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-01 16:45   ` John Snow
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Snow @ 2015-12-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Shah, qemu list
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, armbru, jcmvbkbc,
	kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela, agraf, borntraeger, sw,
	marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier, thuth, ehabkost,
	stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio, alex.williamson, stefanha,
	cornelia.huck, rth, kwolf, kbastian, mreitz, pbonzini, afaerber,
	aurelien

On 12/01/2015 07:16 AM, Amit Shah wrote:
> Ping.
>
> I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> planning on doing this.
>
> Thanks,

I did amend the changelog on the wiki for my part, but I don't have
anything better than a webcam. I have hunches that hewn together grainy
webcam footage won't make for a very compelling video...

--js

@ 2015-12-02  7:50     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-12-02  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, qemu list, agraf,
	jcmvbkbc, kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela, armbru,
	borntraeger, sw, marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier,
	thuth, ehabkost, stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio,
	alex.williamson, cornelia.huck, rth, kwolf, kbastian, mreitz,
	Amit Shah, pbonzini, afaerber, aurelien

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 11:45:15AM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 07:16 AM, Amit Shah wrote:
> > Ping.
> >
> > I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> > planning on doing this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> I did amend the changelog on the wiki for my part, but I don't have
> anything better than a webcam. I have hunches that hewn together grainy
> webcam footage won't make for a very compelling video...

Perhaps Amit is willing to record a segment where he covers subsystems
where the maintainer doesn't want to produce video?

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-02  8:32   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-12-02  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Shah
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, qemu list, armbru,
	jcmvbkbc, kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela, agraf,
	borntraeger, sw, marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier,
	thuth, ehabkost, stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio,
	alex.williamson, cornelia.huck, jsnow, rth, kwolf, kbastian,

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 05:46:05PM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
> I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> planning on doing this.

I can record a video tomorrow about
http://qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.5#Block_devices_and_tools (minus
Berto's changes since he will send a video too).

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
@ 2015-12-02 10:40     ` Amit Shah
From: Amit Shah @ 2015-12-02 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Färber
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jasowang, mark.cave-ayland, qemu list,
	armbru, jcmvbkbc, kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela,
	agraf, borntraeger, sw, marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jcody,
	lvivier, thuth, ehabkost, stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio,
	alex.williamson, stefanha, cornelia.huck, jsnow, rth, kwolf,
	kbastian, mreitz, pbonzini, aurelien

On (Tue) 01 Dec 2015 [13:44:03], Andreas Färber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 01.12.2015 um 13:16 schrieb Amit Shah:
> > Ping.
> >
> > I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> > planning on doing this.
>
> No. I don't recall merging any big 2.5 feature worth describing,

OK.

> and I
> have neither time nor sufficient knowledge for producing videos myself.

I could help with that. (next time?)

@ 2015-12-02 10:41     ` Amit Shah
From: Amit Shah @ 2015-12-02 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, qemu list, agraf,
	jcmvbkbc, kraxel, dgibson, mdroth, berto, quintela, armbru,
	borntraeger, sw, marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier,
	thuth, ehabkost, stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio,
	alex.williamson, stefanha, cornelia.huck, rth, kwolf, kbastian,

On (Tue) 01 Dec 2015 [11:45:15], John Snow wrote:

> On 12/01/2015 07:16 AM, Amit Shah wrote:
> > Ping.
> >
> > I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> > planning on doing this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> I did amend the changelog on the wiki for my part, but I don't have
> anything better than a webcam. I have hunches that hewn together grainy
> webcam footage won't make for a very compelling video...

Last time I just used my cellphone camera at the KVM Forum, and the
result was good enough - so you could try that too.  Content is more
important :)

		Amit

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-02 14:28   ` Eduardo Habkost
From: Eduardo Habkost @ 2015-12-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Shah
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, qemu list, agraf,
	jcmvbkbc, kraxel, dgibson, berto, quintela, armbru, borntraeger,
	sw, marcandre.lureau, leon.alrae, jasowang, lvivier, thuth,
	mdroth, stefano.stabellini, mjt, riku.voipio, alex.williamson,
	stefanha, cornelia.huck, jsnow, rth, kwolf, kbastian, mreitz,
	pbonzini, afaerber, aurelien

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 05:46:05PM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
> Ping.
>
> I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> planning on doing this.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I don't feel comfortable
recording a video, but I have just updated
http://qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.5#x86 with the main changes
in x86.

--
Eduardo

* [Qemu-devel] Wiki account request (was: Re: Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5)
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-03  9:43   ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2015-12-03  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Amit Shah, pbonzini, stefanha

> On (Tue) 24 Nov 2015 [10:28:25], Amit Shah wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The 2.5 release is close - and I'm collecting a list of notable
>> changes and features once more.  The video made for the 2.4 release
>> [1] was popular, and I'm volunteering to make one for 2.5 as well.  In
>> addition, we need more feature pages, and there's a template at [2]
>> that you can use to base feature pages off.

I'd like to add a feature page for the H_RANDOM feature that I've
contributed in this release cycle (see the commit message for details:
http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commit;h=4d9392be6c1aada69ce86c),
since I think it might be good to document for the users how to use this
feature.

However, I do not have an Wiki account yet. Would it be possible to get
an account for this?

 Thanks,
  Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Wiki account request (was: Re: Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5)
@ 2015-12-03 10:48     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-12-03 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: Amit Shah, Paolo Bonzini, QEMU Developers, Stefan Hajnoczi

On 3 December 2015 at 09:43, Thomas Huth <huth@tuxfamily.org> wrote:
>> On (Tue) 24 Nov 2015 [10:28:25], Amit Shah wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The 2.5 release is close - and I'm collecting a list of notable
>>> changes and features once more.  The video made for the 2.4 release
>>> [1] was popular, and I'm volunteering to make one for 2.5 as well.  In
>>> addition, we need more feature pages, and there's a template at [2]
>>> that you can use to base feature pages off.
>
> I'd like to add a feature page for the H_RANDOM feature that I've
> contributed in this release cycle (see the commit message for details:
> http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commit;h=4d9392be6c1aada69ce86c),
> since I think it might be good to document for the users how to use this
> feature.
>
> However, I do not have an Wiki account yet. Would it be possible to get
> an account for this?

Sure, I can create you an account -- let me know what username you want.

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
@ 2015-12-03 16:27     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2015-12-03 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Habkost
  Cc: peter.maydell, mst, jcody, mark.cave-ayland, qemu list, agraf,

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 05:46:05PM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
> > Ping.
> >
> > I haven't received any responses so far, please let me know if you're
> > planning on doing this.
>
> Sorry for taking so long to reply. I don't feel comfortable
> recording a video, but I have just updated
> http://qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.5#x86 with the main changes
> in x86.

The big new Xen feature in 2.5 is already listed, the other changes are
mostly refactoring and bug fixing, not really worth mentioning in the
ChangeLog.

I'll see if I can record a decent video in the next few days.