* Work with correct branch for kernel changes
@ 2015-12-12 20:43 Shirish Gajera
From: Shirish Gajera @ 2015-12-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

I am new to linux kernel and trying to understand  the process of
different git branch to work.

So, if I am not wrong then there are different branch like stable, next,
staging etc. Previously I work with staging branch so if I am making
any changes for drivers/staging I have to work with staging branch like
follow.
git clone
git checkout -t -b staging-testing origin/staging-testing
git chekcout -b MY_LOCAL_BRANCH
not do work and subimt

So, how it work for other source structure, like now I want to make some
for y2038 -> drivers/scsi which branch should I set up and work with,
next/stable/or is there any specific y2038 branch.

Any wiki link or documentation that explain this full process which
branch to work with when making changes to specific directory will be
useful.

Thanks,
Shirish

* Work with correct branch for kernel changes
@ 2015-12-13  1:01 ` Luis de Bethencourt
From: Luis de Bethencourt @ 2015-12-13  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 12/12/15 20:43, Shirish Gajera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to linux kernel and trying to understand  the process of
> different git branch to work.
>
> So, if I am not wrong then there are different branch like stable, next,
> staging etc. Previously I work with staging branch so if I am making
> any changes for drivers/staging I have to work with staging branch like
> follow.
> git clone
> git checkout -t -b staging-testing origin/staging-testing
> git chekcout -b MY_LOCAL_BRANCH
> not do work and subimt
>
> So, how it work for other source structure, like now I want to make some
> for y2038 -> drivers/scsi which branch should I set up and work with,
> next/stable/or is there any specific y2038 branch.
>
> Any wiki link or documentation that explain this full process which
> branch to work with when making changes to specific directory will be
> useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Shirish

Hi Shirish,

linux-next [0] is good to follow, and useful if you are touching cross-system
code. If you want to be safe, since not all subsystems are merged into
linux-next and some have multiple branches for next version fixes, new
features, etc, check the MAINTAINERS file [1]. There you will see information
you need.

For example for ACPI (drivers/acpi) it is
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm

I hope that clarifies your question.
Luis

[0] git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/MAINTAINERS

* Work with correct branch for kernel changes
@ 2015-12-17  9:04 ` Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2015-12-17  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 12 Dec, Shirish Gajera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to linux kernel and trying to understand  the process of
> different git branch to work.
>
> So, if I am not wrong then there are different branch like stable, next,
> staging etc. Previously I work with staging branch so if I am making
> any changes for drivers/staging I have to work with staging branch like
> follow.
> git clone
> git checkout -t -b staging-testing origin/staging-testing
> git chekcout -b MY_LOCAL_BRANCH
> not do work and subimt
>
> So, how it work for other source structure, like now I want to make some
> for y2038 -> drivers/scsi which branch should I set up and work with,
> next/stable/or is there any specific y2038 branch.
>
> Any wiki link or documentation that explain this full process which
> branch to work with when making changes to specific directory will be
> useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Shirish

There are not only different branches, but also different git trees,
where development for different subsystem takes place usually.

I recommend you to watch this presentation of GregKH. He explains very
good, how the development is working.

https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2014/the-linux-kernel-how-fast-it-is-developed-and-how-we-stay-sane-doing-it/

--
Best regards,