* [Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility
@ 2016-01-06 14:26 rdkehn at yahoo.com
From: rdkehn at yahoo.com @ 2016-01-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi All,

I'm using SYSVINIT and get the following at startup from S40network:

--8<---
Starting network...
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1-ESV-R12
Copyright 2004-2015 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Usage: dhclient [-4|-6] [-SNTP1dvrx] [-nw] [-p <port>]
                [-s server-addr] [-cf config-file] [-lf lease-file]
                [-pf pid-file] [--no-pid] [-e VAR=val]
                [-sf script-file] [interface]

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-bugs at isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.
Failed to bring up eth0.
--8<---

Looking into it, ifupdown-0.8.2 calls dhclient with -I and -df
options; these options are not supported by dhclient. The previous
version of ifupdown, 0.7.49, worked with dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12. Has
anyone else noticed this?

It appears that dhcp-4.3.3 supports the -I and -df options used by
ifupdown-0.8.2. Cross-compiling dhcp-4.3.3 will be more complicated
since there is now a bind tar-ball embedded into the dhcp source. Is
anyone else attempting to add dhcp-4.3.3 to Buildroot?

Thanks and Regards,
...doug

* [Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility
@ 2016-01-07 19:11 ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2016-01-07 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 06/01/16 11:26, rdkehn at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm using SYSVINIT and get the following at startup from S40network:
>
> --8<---
> Starting network...
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1-ESV-R12
> Copyright 2004-2015 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
> Usage: dhclient [-4|-6] [-SNTP1dvrx] [-nw] [-p <port>]
>                  [-s server-addr] [-cf config-file] [-lf lease-file]
>                  [-pf pid-file] [--no-pid] [-e VAR=val]
>                  [-sf script-file] [interface]
>
> If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
> get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
> requesting help.
>
> If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
> yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
> If you intend to request help from the dhcp-bugs at isc.org
> mailing list, please read the section on the README about
> submitting bug reports and requests for help.
>
> Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
> help directly to the authors of this software - please
> send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
> the README file.
>
> exiting.
> Failed to bring up eth0.
> --8<---
>
> Looking into it, ifupdown-0.8.2 calls dhclient with -I and -df
> options; these options are not supported by dhclient. The previous
> version of ifupdown, 0.7.49, worked with dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12. Has
> anyone else noticed this?
>
> It appears that dhcp-4.3.3 supports the -I and -df options used by
> ifupdown-0.8.2. Cross-compiling dhcp-4.3.3 will be more complicated
> since there is now a bind tar-ball embedded into the dhcp source. Is
> anyone else attempting to add dhcp-4.3.3 to Buildroot?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> ...doug

Hi Doug.
I've bumped ifupdown recently, so i guess i'm guilty since i didn't try
that alternative.
That being said: you shouldn't use ISC dhcp if you can avoid it, much
less for just a client.
Try dhcpcd, upstream is responsive, it's better (IMO of course) and it's
smaller.
Regards.

* [Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility
@ 2016-01-07 20:30   ` Benoît Thébaudeau
From: Benoît Thébaudeau @ 2016-01-07 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

On 06/01/16 11:26, rdkehn at yahoo.com wrote:
[...]
> It appears that dhcp-4.3.3 supports the -I and -df options used by
> ifupdown-0.8.2. Cross-compiling dhcp-4.3.3 will be more complicated
> since there is now a bind tar-ball embedded into the dhcp source. Is
> anyone else attempting to add dhcp-4.3.3 to Buildroot?

I had started to look into this a few months ago, and setting
--with-libbind=PATH to use the bind provided by Buildroot seemed to be
a better option (in order to avoid possibly installing two instances
of bind on the target, either standalone or inside the dhcp binaries
if statically linked, and both bind versions were compatible at that
time), though I have not yet tested it.

Best regards,
Beno?t

* [Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility
@ 2016-01-07 20:35     ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2016-01-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 07/01/16 17:30, Beno?t Th?baudeau wrote:

> I had started to look into this a few months ago, and setting
> --with-libbind=PATH to use the bind provided by Buildroot seemed to be
> a better option (in order to avoid possibly installing two instances
> of bind on the target, either standalone or inside the dhcp binaries
> if statically linked, and both bind versions were compatible at that
> time), though I have not yet tested it.

Hi Beno?t.
Let me save you some time, it doesn't work as expected.
I've tried pointing that into the bind build directory (because it needs
some specific *.a files that i think aren't installed, besides another
problem) but no luck, since it stills expects that to live in it's own
build directory, try in dhcp's source dir:

find . -name Makefile.am -exec grep --with-filename ../bind/lib {} \;

...and you'll see the drastic results.

Even so with that fixed the bind package will need to get tweaked as
well, since if you build shared-only you won't get those intermediate
libraries built, and hence dhcp will fail as well.

All in all, it seems pretty broken.

Regards.

* [Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility
@ 2016-01-09  0:18       ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2016-01-09  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 07-01-16 21:35, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
> On 07/01/16 17:30, Beno?t Th?baudeau wrote:
>
>> I had started to look into this a few months ago, and setting
>> --with-libbind=PATH to use the bind provided by Buildroot seemed to be
>> a better option (in order to avoid possibly installing two instances
>> of bind on the target, either standalone or inside the dhcp binaries
>> if statically linked, and both bind versions were compatible at that
>> time), though I have not yet tested it.
>
> Hi Beno?t.
> Let me save you some time, it doesn't work as expected.
> I've tried pointing that into the bind build directory (because it needs some
> specific *.a files that i think aren't installed, besides another problem) but
> no luck, since it stills expects that to live in it's own build directory, try
> in dhcp's source dir:
>
> find . -name Makefile.am -exec grep --with-filename ../bind/lib {} \;
>
> ...and you'll see the drastic results.
>
> Even so with that fixed the bind package will need to get tweaked as well, since
> if you build shared-only you won't get those intermediate libraries built, and
> hence dhcp will fail as well.
>
> All in all, it seems pretty broken.

 Given this brokenness, and that there are better alternatives, perhaps we
should kill the dhcp package? Or is it useful as a server? In the latter case,
we should add a warning to the ifupdown help text.

 BTW, I guess busybox ifupdown does work?

 Regards,
 Arnout

* [Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility
@ 2016-01-09 12:56         ` Benoît Thébaudeau
From: Benoît Thébaudeau @ 2016-01-09 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout@mind.be> wrote:
> On 07-01-16 21:35, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
>> On 07/01/16 17:30, Beno?t Th?baudeau wrote:
>>
>>> I had started to look into this a few months ago, and setting
>>> --with-libbind=PATH to use the bind provided by Buildroot seemed to be
>>> a better option (in order to avoid possibly installing two instances
>>> of bind on the target, either standalone or inside the dhcp binaries
>>> if statically linked, and both bind versions were compatible at that
>>> time), though I have not yet tested it.
>>
>> Hi Beno?t.
>> Let me save you some time, it doesn't work as expected.
>> I've tried pointing that into the bind build directory (because it needs some
>> specific *.a files that i think aren't installed, besides another problem) but
>> no luck, since it stills expects that to live in it's own build directory, try
>> in dhcp's source dir:
>>
>> find . -name Makefile.am -exec grep --with-filename ../bind/lib {} \;
>>
>> ...and you'll see the drastic results.
>>
>> Even so with that fixed the bind package will need to get tweaked as well, since
>> if you build shared-only you won't get those intermediate libraries built, and
>> hence dhcp will fail as well.
>>
>> All in all, it seems pretty broken.
>
>  Given this brokenness, and that there are better alternatives, perhaps we
> should kill the dhcp package? Or is it useful as a server? In the latter case,
> we should add a warning to the ifupdown help text.
>
>  BTW, I guess busybox ifupdown does work?

A few months ago, 4.1-ESV-R12 had an EoL date set to Dec. 2015 on
https://www.isc.org/downloads/, but now it is TBA. It probably means
that they did not have a chance to finalize the deprecation of 4.1 in
Dec. 2015, and that they are rescheduling it, but that it will come
soon. Also, several distributions like Ubuntu have already switched to
4.3.x, and this version seems to fix the ifupdown 0.8.2 issue
according to what has been previously said in this thread. Regarding
the build, Gustavo has said above that it is broken with a bind
external to the dhcp package, but it should hopefully work fine with
the built-in bind.

All in all, we should probably bump the version to 4.3.3 rather than
killing this package.

Best regards,
Beno?t

* [Buildroot] ifupdown-0.8.2 / dhcp-4.1-ESV-R12 incompatibility
@ 2016-01-09 13:09           ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2016-01-09 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 09/01/16 09:56, Beno?t Th?baudeau wrote:

> A few months ago, 4.1-ESV-R12 had an EoL date set to Dec. 2015 on
> https://www.isc.org/downloads/, but now it is TBA. It probably means
> that they did not have a chance to finalize the deprecation of 4.1 in
> Dec. 2015, and that they are rescheduling it, but that it will come
> soon. Also, several distributions like Ubuntu have already switched to
> 4.3.x, and this version seems to fix the ifupdown 0.8.2 issue
> according to what has been previously said in this thread. Regarding
> the build, Gustavo has said above that it is broken with a bind
> external to the dhcp package, but it should hopefully work fine with
> the built-in bind.
>
> All in all, we should probably bump the version to 4.3.3 rather than
> killing this package.
>
> Best regards,
> Beno?t

Hi all.
I agree, for a full-blown server there's not much alternative (there's
dnsmasq for a small one, but it's not nearly as featured).
The bundled bind build is broken as well, since it doesn't pass any
toolchain variables it tries to build with the distro gcc and so on,
resulting in mixed architecture files.
The bundled version might be outdated with respect to bug/security fixes
in bind as well, though it's not that likely since it uses just a small
subset of functionality.
IMO the best solution would be to fix the makefiles/build and submit
upstream, they were responsive the 1-2 times i submitted patches to fix
things so it's probably the best bet.
Regards.