* Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
@ 2016-01-06 10:19 Jose R R
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-06 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS Development List, debian-boot, debian-cloud

Niltze, all-

I have been building iterations of Debian-Installer (d-i) enhanced
with Reiser4 4.0.1 kernel, disk and filesystem utilities. Thus far I
have used a local build on Debian Sid of VirtualBox 5.0.10 environment
to test multiple Reiser4 installations.

For flexibility, especially if you are testing in a VM, the following
d-i options may help:

-Network-console: continue installation remotely using SSH
-Openssh-client-udeb: secure shell client for the Debian installer

Now:

d-i offers three(3) choices:

Jessie (stable)
Stretch (testing)
Sid (unstable)

I have verified that *all* can be installed from my custom Reiser4
d-i; Nevertheless Jessie (stable) needs access to testing and/or
unstable repositories added at /etc/apt/sources.list in order to
fulfill dependencies of the unstable kernel in my d-i. Jessie (stable)
also needs to have newer Reiser4 4.0.1 packages because d-i downloads
the older (stable) version. I have covered *all* of Jessie conditions
by building newer unstable versions of its requirements. The downside
of it is that a user needs to manually intervene at the shell,
possibly at the expert level.

As for Stretch and Sid, manual intervention is required only to modify
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules file by adding at the end:

crc32c_intel
reiser4

*before* installing the custom Reiser4 kernel, thus:
dpkg -i linux-image-4.3.0-1-amd64_4.3.3-5_amd64.deb

so that initramfs can be appropriately updated *before* rebooting the
new Reiser4 installation.

Note that GRUBX does not support booting from /boot Reiser4
filesystem; accordingly, a small partition must be provisioned for
booting into a Reiser4 -formatted root (/) partition. The d-i
partman-reiser4 will format Reiser4 partitions thus:

mkfs.reiser4 -yo "create=reg40" <your selected partition>

Additionally, user may want to provision a /tmp in a non-Reiser4
partition if the intention is to run MariaDB (MySQL) because -- at the
very least -- the DB will complain about /tmp issues if it is
formatted in Reiser4 --personal experience ;-)

With the above said and warning that this is an alpha effort *without*
any explicit and/or implied guarantee that will be risk-free, here is
the current yield of of Reiser4 effort:

Reiser4 -enabled Debian-Installer (d-i) netboot mini.iso renamed as:
http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral//metztli_it-reiser4_d-i.iso

Reiser4 -enabled kernel & modules.README_1st:
http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/linux-image-4.3.0-1-amd64_4.3.3-5_amd64.tar

Reiser4 -enabled Debian GNU Parted packages (install at the end of
installation procedure); please note that those packages under
reiser4-parted_3.2-12/misc are optional):
http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4-parted_3.2-12.tar
(after untarring above referenced, install as)
cd reiser4-parted_3.2-12
dpkg -i parted_3.2-12_amd64.deb libparted2_3.2-12_amd64.deb

Next resource is only needed if Jessie was installed. Package below
will replace the older Reiser4 file utilities:
http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4progs-4.0.1.tar

Although I have created patches for most (or all ;-) of the above at
GitHub, I realize Debian Unstable (Sid) is a fast moving development
effort and within a couple of weeks the kernel referenced above will
be outdated and d-i will refuse to install.

With the previous statement said, and if anyone is willing, try the
above Debian-Installer (d-i) resources while the kernel is fresh...

Feedback and/or suggestions welcome.

Best Professional Regards

P.S I am already preparing some images for Google Compute Engine (GCE)
< https://cloud.google.com/compute/ > to add to currently testing
Reiser4 images created last year.
--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
@ 2016-01-06 12:21 ` dimas
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: dimas @ 2016-01-06 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

great job, man!

> As for Stretch and Sid, manual intervention is required only to modify
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules file by adding at the end:
> crc32c_intel
> reiser4
> *before* installing the custom Reiser4 kernel, thus:
> dpkg -i linux-image-4.3.0-1-amd64_4.3.3-5_amd64.deb
why dion't you do that by postinst trigger, before update-initramfs one? or
modify upd-initrmfs trigger, adding couple of lines...

> dpkg -i parted_3.2-12_amd64.deb libparted2_3.2-12_amd64.deb
would be much more comfortable, if you add "reiser4" to the package version.
like "x.y.z-n+reiser4". or maybe even name a package "parted-reiser4", with
smth like "provides: parted" and "conflicts: parted", so that it won't be
overwritten by original version on upgrade, but satisfy dependencies on "parted"

> Although I have created patches for most (or all ;-) of the above at
> GitHub, I realize Debian Unstable (Sid) is a fast moving development
> effort and within a couple of weeks the kernel referenced above will
> be outdated and d-i will refuse to install.
hmm, not sure about d-i logic, but what's the problem with slightly older
kernel? i'm running on 3.x (custom-setup r4 patched) on testing with no
problems so far

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
@ 2016-01-06 13:42   ` Jose R R
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel, debian-boot

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:21 AM, dimas <dimas000@ya.ru> wrote:
> great job, man!
Appreciated.

>> As for Stretch and Sid, manual intervention is required only to modify
>> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules file by adding at the end:
>> crc32c_intel
>> reiser4
>> *before* installing the custom Reiser4 kernel, thus:
>> dpkg -i linux-image-4.3.0-1-amd64_4.3.3-5_amd64.deb
> why dion't you do that by postinst trigger, before update-initramfs one? or
> modify upd-initrmfs trigger, adding couple of lines...
I have built a modified version of initramfs-tools package that has as
default those Reiser4 -specific settings
but wanted to allow d-i to select most of its packages from regular
Debian repositories.

I will keep in mind your suggestion while I think about improving the
user experience, though. Thanks.

>> dpkg -i parted_3.2-12_amd64.deb libparted2_3.2-12_amd64.deb
> would be much more comfortable, if you add "reiser4" to the package version.
> like "x.y.z-n+reiser4". or maybe even name a package "parted-reiser4", with
> smth like "provides: parted" and "conflicts: parted", so that it won't be
> overwritten by original version on upgrade, but satisfy dependencies on "parted"

That suggestion is probably fine for the reiser4-parted DEBs but the
kernel included in d-i is 'picky' and I have not had luck changing its
name to something other than *official* Debian because d-i then
refuses to install from the Debian repositories.

Notwithstanding, one way that I have prevented overwriting
Reiser4-enabled Debian packages is by placing a *hold* on them, thus:

For the kernel, for instance:
echo "linux-image-4.3.0-1-amd64 hold" | dpkg --set-selections

And for Debian Parted:
echo "parted hold" | dpkg --set-selections
echo "libparted2 hold" | dpkg --set-selections

And we can check for those packages effectively being on *hold* and
not replaced by Debian package manager, thus:

dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
dpkg --get-selections | grep parted

>> Although I have created patches for most (or all ;-) of the above at
>> GitHub, I realize Debian Unstable (Sid) is a fast moving development
>> effort and within a couple of weeks the kernel referenced above will
>> be outdated and d-i will refuse to install.
> hmm, not sure about d-i logic, but what's the problem with slightly older
> kernel? i'm running on 3.x (custom-setup r4 patched) on testing with no
> problems so far

After Debian is installed, a custom kernel version/name will survive
-- as well as an official kernel on *hold* ; however, during a *new*
Debian installation d-i seems *very* picky about matching
kernel/changelog version(s) with packages in repositories.

--

@ 2016-01-06 15:20     ` dimas
From: dimas @ 2016-01-06 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

2016-006 05:42 Jose R R <Jose.r.r@metztli-it.com> wrote:
> I have built a modified version of initramfs-tools package that has as
> default those Reiser4 -specific settings
> but wanted to allow d-i to select most of its packages from regular
> Debian repositories.
well, i see. right way, probably. but you can the needed hook in any installion
scripts that you modify anyhow. i think, you messed with any of those, yes?

> That suggestion is probably fine for the reiser4-parted DEBs but the
> kernel included in d-i is 'picky' and I have not had luck changing its
> name to something other than *official* Debian because d-i then
> refuses to install from the Debian repositories.
ouch, didn't know that it has such a strict restrictions

> And for Debian Parted:
> echo "parted hold" | dpkg --set-selections
> echo "libparted2 hold" | dpkg --set-selections
> And we can check for those packages effectively being on *hold* and
> not replaced by Debian package manager, thus:
that's the option, yeah, but placing packages on hold can lead to some expected
dependecies conflicts in the future, and is generally rather "dirty" way. using
special package names like "parted-reiser4" is much clear anyhow, what is more,
you can easily run your local repo with r4-patched kernels/tools/libs, and it
will be the most clear of obvious way for the enduser to keep all this stuff
upgraded without worrying whether it's r4-patched stuff or not. this would be a
perfect variant, i think. user just install "linux-....-reiser4",
"parted-...-reiser4" and "whatever-....-reiser4", and you just build new
packages from time to time, and everyone have their stuff updated usual way.

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
@ 2016-01-07  8:11 ` Jose R R
       [not found]   ` <20160111084732.48bf9447@multivac.localdomain>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-07  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS Development List, debian-boot, debian-cloud

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Jose R R <Jose.r.r@metztli-it.com> wrote:
> Niltze, all-
>
> I have been building iterations of Debian-Installer (d-i) enhanced
> with Reiser4 4.0.1 kernel, disk and filesystem utilities. Thus far I
> have used a local build on Debian Sid of VirtualBox 5.0.10 environment
> to test multiple Reiser4 installations.
>
> For flexibility, especially if you are testing in a VM, the following
> d-i options may help:
>
> -Network-console: continue installation remotely using SSH
> -Openssh-client-udeb: secure shell client for the Debian installer
>
> Now:
>
> d-i offers three(3) choices:
>
> Jessie (stable)
> Stretch (testing)
> Sid (unstable)
>
> I have verified that *all* can be installed from my custom Reiser4
> d-i; Nevertheless Jessie (stable) needs access to testing and/or
> unstable repositories added at /etc/apt/sources.list in order to
> fulfill dependencies of the unstable kernel in my d-i. Jessie (stable)
> also needs to have newer Reiser4 4.0.1 packages because d-i downloads
> the older (stable) version. I have covered *all* of Jessie conditions
> by building newer unstable versions of its requirements. The downside
> of it is that a user needs to manually intervene at the shell,
> possibly at the expert level.

Important note for Jessie:
Opening a shell in the installer environment prior to d-i menu
suggesting to install GRUB, enter:

chroot /target

Modify /etc/initramfs-tools/modules file by adding directives

crc32c_intel
reiser4

at the end of the file and saving the modifications,

 And *prior* to installing the Reiser4 -enabled kernel make sure to
replace the older reiser4progs 1.0.9 with the newer reiser4progs
1.1.0-1.1 -- which may be downloaded from previously posted link,
i.e.:

http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4progs-4.0.1.tar

These last utilites will require download access to Stretch or Sid (Unstable)
for instance adding a line:
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian sid main non-free contrib

in /etc/apt/sources.list and performing apt-get update

to fulfill dependencies needed in Jessie:

libncurses5
libncursesw5
libreadline5
libtinfo5

The above is necessary since when the Reiser4 -enabled kernel is
installed, it will trigger initramfs-tools creation of
initrd.img-xyz-amd64 which *should* have newer reiser4progs 1.1.0-1.1
file utilities.

Optional: parted-reiser4_3.2-12 dependencies form Stretch and/or Sid(Unstable):

dmsetup
libdevmapper1.02.1

@ 2016-01-08  9:38       ` Jose R R
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel, debian-boot

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:20 AM, dimas <dimas000@ya.ru> wrote:
> 2016-006 05:42 Jose R R <Jose.r.r@metztli-it.com> wrote:
>> I have built a modified version of initramfs-tools package that has as
>> default those Reiser4 -specific settings
>> but wanted to allow d-i to select most of its packages from regular
>> Debian repositories.
> well, i see. right way, probably. but you can the needed hook in any installion
> scripts that you modify anyhow. i think, you messed with any of those, yes?

This issue may be resolved subsequently -- although probably using a
procedure that occurs *earlier* than 'the hooks' :)

>> That suggestion is probably fine for the reiser4-parted DEBs but the
>> kernel included in d-i is 'picky' and I have not had luck changing its
>> name to something other than *official* Debian because d-i then
>> refuses to install from the Debian repositories.
> ouch, didn't know that it has such a strict restrictions

Using the same Debian Sid Linux kernel source, I generated another
Reiser4-enabled kernel 'the Debian Way' -- but with a custom changelog
that clearly shows has Reiser4 super power :D
https://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/linux-image-4.3.0-1+reiser4.0.1-amd64_4.3.3-5+reiser4.0.2_amd64.tar

Once installed into a Debian distro, a uname -a yields:

Linux [host] 4.3.0-1+reiser4.0.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian
4.3.3-5+reiser4.0.1 (2016-01-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hence *hold* is not necessary for said kernel.

>> And for Debian Parted:
>> echo "parted hold" | dpkg --set-selections
>> echo "libparted2 hold" | dpkg --set-selections
>> And we can check for those packages effectively being on *hold* and
>> not replaced by Debian package manager, thus:
> that's the option, yeah, but placing packages on hold can lead to some expected
> dependecies conflicts in the future, and is generally rather "dirty" way. using
> special package names like "parted-reiser4" is much clear anyhow, what is more,
> you can easily run your local repo with r4-patched kernels/tools/libs, and it
> will be the most clear of obvious way for the enduser to keep all this stuff
> upgraded without worrying whether it's r4-patched stuff or not. this would be a
> perfect variant, i think. user just install "linux-....-reiser4",
> "parted-...-reiser4" and "whatever-....-reiser4", and you just build new
> packages from time to time, and everyone have their stuff updated usual way.

Well renaming Debian GNU Parted can wait -- as it is optional for the
user *even* after Debian is installed; i.e., I have embedded the
Reiser4-enabled lib/parted[2] UDEB into previoulsy referenced
Debian-Installer (d-i) netboot ISO:
http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/metztli_it-reiser4_d-i.iso

Thanks for your suggestions, Dimas.

Best Professional Regards.

--

@ 2016-01-08 18:32   ` dimas
       [not found]   ` <20160111084732.48bf9447@multivac.localdomain>
From: dimas @ 2016-01-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

2016-007 00:11 Jose R R <Jose.r.r@metztli-it.com> wrote:
> And *prior* to installing the Reiser4 -enabled kernel make sure to
> replace the older reiser4progs 1.0.9 with the newer reiser4progs
> 1.1.0-1.1 -- which may be downloaded from previously posted link,
what's the problem with native version? what new does 1.10 have? format41
support or what?

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
@ 2016-01-09  3:07     ` Jose R R
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-09  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel, dimas000

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM, dimas <dimas000@ya.ru> wrote:
> 2016-007 00:11 Jose R R <Jose.r.r@metztli-it.com> wrote:
>> And *prior* to installing the Reiser4 -enabled kernel make sure to
>> replace the older reiser4progs 1.0.9 with the newer reiser4progs
>> 1.1.0-1.1 -- which may be downloaded from previously posted link,
> what's the problem with native version? what new does 1.10 have? format41
> support or what?

That applies *only* if user decides to install Jessie (Stable) --
which Debian repositories still contain reiser4progs 1.0.9.

The Reiser4 -enabled Debian-Installer (d-i) has reiser4progs 1.1.0-1.1
UDEBs, i.e., *new* Reiser4 4.0.1 version of the utilities to match the
Reiser4 -enabled kernel. Thus, per prior Ed's email [1]...

"NOTE: after mount in the new kernel you won' t be able to
check your partition by reiser4progs-1.0.9 and older versions, so
please upgrade your reiser4progs BEFORE"

[1] http://marc.info/?l=reiserfs-devel&m=144103447029219&w=2

reiser4progs 1.1.0-1.1 are already 'native' in the Stretch and
Sid(Unstable) Debian repos.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
@ 2016-01-11 10:28 ` Jose R R
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-11 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS Development List, debian-boot, debian-cloud

(1/3) Reiser4 version 4.0.1 -enabled patches for Debian Installer
components and/or userland utilities:

> [...]
> (after untarring above referenced, install as)
> cd reiser4-parted_3.2-12
> dpkg -i parted_3.2-12_amd64.deb libparted2_3.2-12_amd64.deb
>
> Next resource is only needed if Jessie was installed. Package below
> will replace the older Reiser4 file utilities:
> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4progs-4.0.1.tar
>
> Although I have created patches for most (or all ;-) of the above at
> GitHub, I realize Debian Unstable (Sid) is a fast moving development
> effort and within a couple of weeks the kernel referenced above will
> be outdated and d-i will refuse to install.
>
> With the previous statement said, and if anyone is willing, try the
> above Debian-Installer (d-i) resources while the kernel is fresh...
>
> Feedback and/or suggestions welcome.
>

> Best Professional Regards
>

> P.S I am already preparing some images for Google Compute Engine (GCE)

Reiser4 version 4.0.1 -support for Debian.ized GNU Parted -- will
generate DEBs and UDEBs:

Already patched repo:
https://github.com/Metztli/reiser4-debian-parted

OR git clone git://git.debian.org/git/parted/parted.git
and apply patch attached

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-Reiser4-support-for-debian-parted-based-on-Bart-Hakv.patch --]

From e581d195e712abdc5f18b143a3a2c5664d541407 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Metztli <jose.rodriguez@metztli-it.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:31:33 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] Reiser4 support for debian-parted based on Bart Hakvoort 2004
 work.

---
 debian/libparted2.symbols      |  2 ++
 libparted/Makefile.am          |  1 +
 libparted/fs/Makefile.am       |  3 ++
 libparted/fs/reiser4/reiser4.c | 71 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 libparted/libparted.c          |  4 +++
 5 files changed, 81 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 libparted/fs/reiser4/reiser4.c

diff --git a/debian/libparted2.symbols b/debian/libparted2.symbols
index a5e7643..f5a53cb 100644
--- a/debian/libparted2.symbols
+++ b/debian/libparted2.symbols
@@ -146,6 +146,8 @@ libparted.so.2 libparted2 #MINVER#
  ped_file_system_ntfs_init@Base 3.1
  ped_file_system_probe@Base 3.1
  ped_file_system_probe_specific@Base 3.1
+ ped_file_system_reiser4_done@Base 3.2-12
+ ped_file_system_reiser4_init@Base 3.2-12
  ped_file_system_reiserfs_done@Base 3.1
  ped_file_system_reiserfs_init@Base 3.1
  ped_file_system_type_get@Base 3.1
diff --git a/libparted/Makefile.am b/libparted/Makefile.am
index b410e64..07355be 100644
--- a/libparted/Makefile.am
+++ b/libparted/Makefile.am
@@ -3,6 +3,7 @@
 #
 # This file may be modified and/or distributed without restriction.

+AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = subdir-objects
 SUBDIRS_CHECK =
 if HAVE_CHECK
 SUBDIRS_CHECK += tests
diff --git a/libparted/fs/Makefile.am b/libparted/fs/Makefile.am
index de607a2..43946d2 100644
--- a/libparted/fs/Makefile.am
+++ b/libparted/fs/Makefile.am
@@ -3,6 +3,8 @@
 #
 # This file may be modified and/or distributed without restriction.

+AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = subdir-objects
+
 partedincludedir = -I$(top_builddir)/include -I$(top_srcdir)/include

 AM_CFLAGS = $(WARN_CFLAGS)
@@ -44,6 +46,7 @@ libfs_la_SOURCES =		\
   ntfs/ntfs.c			\
   reiserfs/reiserfs.c		\
   reiserfs/reiserfs.h		\
+  reiser4/reiser4.c		\
   ufs/ufs.c			\
   xfs/platform_defs.h		\
   xfs/xfs.c			\
diff --git a/libparted/fs/reiser4/reiser4.c b/libparted/fs/reiser4/reiser4.c
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..0a86e0c
--- /dev/null
+++ b/libparted/fs/reiser4/reiser4.c
@@ -0,0 +1,71 @@
+/*
+    libparted - a library for manipulating disk partitions
+    Copyright (C) 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
+
+    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
+    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
+    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
+    (at your option) any later version.
+
+    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
+    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
+    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
+    GNU General Public License for more details.
+
+    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
+    along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
+    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
+*/
+
+#include <config.h>
+
+#include <parted/parted.h>
+#include <parted/endian.h>
+
+#if ENABLE_NLS
+#  include <libintl.h>
+#  define _(String) dgettext (PACKAGE, String)
+#else
+#  define _(String) (String)
+#endif /* ENABLE_NLS */
+
+#include <unistd.h>
+#include <string.h>
+
+static PedGeometry*
+reiser4_probe (PedGeometry* geom)
+{
+	char	buf[512];
+
+	if (!ped_geometry_read (geom, buf, 128, 1))
+		return 0;
+
+	if ( strcmp( buf, "ReIsEr4" ) == 0 )
+		return ped_geometry_duplicate( geom ) ;
+
+	else
+		return NULL;
+}
+
+static PedFileSystemOps reiser4_ops = {
+	probe:		reiser4_probe,
+};
+
+static PedFileSystemType reiser4_type = {
+	next:	NULL,
+	ops:	&reiser4_ops,
+	name:	"reiser4"
+};
+
+void
+ped_file_system_reiser4_init ()
+{
+	ped_file_system_type_register (&reiser4_type);
+}
+
+void
+ped_file_system_reiser4_done ()
+{
+	ped_file_system_type_unregister (&reiser4_type);
+}
+
diff --git a/libparted/libparted.c b/libparted/libparted.c
index fe0c7fe..354fcf9 100644
--- a/libparted/libparted.c
+++ b/libparted/libparted.c
@@ -108,6 +108,7 @@ extern void ped_file_system_jfs_init (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_hfs_init (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_fat_init (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_ext2_init (void);
+extern void ped_file_system_reiser4_init (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_nilfs2_init (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_btrfs_init (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_zfs_init (void);
@@ -125,6 +126,7 @@ init_file_system_types ()
 	ped_file_system_hfs_init ();
 	ped_file_system_fat_init ();
 	ped_file_system_ext2_init ();
+	ped_file_system_reiser4_init ();
 	ped_file_system_nilfs2_init ();
 	ped_file_system_btrfs_init ();
 	ped_file_system_zfs_init ();
@@ -189,6 +191,7 @@ extern void ped_file_system_ntfs_done (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_reiserfs_done (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_ufs_done (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_xfs_done (void);
+extern void ped_file_system_reiser4_done (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_amiga_done (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_btrfs_done (void);
 extern void ped_file_system_zfs_done (void);
@@ -207,6 +210,7 @@ done_file_system_types ()
 	ped_file_system_reiserfs_done ();
 	ped_file_system_ufs_done ();
 	ped_file_system_xfs_done ();
+	ped_file_system_reiser4_done ();
 	ped_file_system_amiga_done ();
 	ped_file_system_btrfs_done ();
 }
--
2.6.4

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-11 10:39 ` Jose R R
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-11 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS Development List, debian-boot, debian-cloud

(2/3) Reiser4 version 4.0.1 -enabled patches for Debian Installer
> [...]

> (after untarring above referenced, install as)
> cd reiser4-parted_3.2-12
> dpkg -i parted_3.2-12_amd64.deb libparted2_3.2-12_amd64.deb
>
> Next resource is only needed if Jessie was installed. Package below
> will replace the older Reiser4 file utilities:
> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4progs-4.0.1.tar
>
> Although I have created patches for most (or all ;-) of the above at
> GitHub, I realize Debian Unstable (Sid) is a fast moving development
> effort and within a couple of weeks the kernel referenced above will
> be outdated and d-i will refuse to install.
>
> With the previous statement said, and if anyone is willing, try the
> above Debian-Installer (d-i) resources while the kernel is fresh...
>
> Feedback and/or suggestions welcome.
>

> Best Professional Regards
>

> P.S I am already preparing some images for Google Compute Engine (GCE)

Reiser4 4.0.1 -patched partman-reiser4 component integrates Reiser4
support into menu-driven Debian-Installer (d-i) -- requires
reiser4-debian-parted

Included in repo:
https://github.com/Metztli/debian-partman-reiser4

This component source is hacked (literally) and does not exist
currently in Debian. It generates a UDEB that adds the Reiser4 option
to the Debian-Installer (d-i) menu. Please make sure to *also include*
in your d-i UDEBs generated from Reiser4 4.0.1 -enabled Debian.ized
GNU Parted; otherwise, d-i menu driven installation will fail.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-11 10:52 ` Jose R R
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-11 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS Development List, debian-boot, debian-cloud

(3/3) Reiser4 version 4.0.1 -enabled patches for Debian Installer
> [...]

> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4-parted_3.2-12.tar
> (after untarring above referenced, install as)
> cd reiser4-parted_3.2-12
> dpkg -i parted_3.2-12_amd64.deb libparted2_3.2-12_amd64.deb
>
> Next resource is only needed if Jessie was installed. Package below
> will replace the older Reiser4 file utilities:
> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4progs-4.0.1.tar
>
> Although I have created patches for most (or all ;-) of the above at
> GitHub, I realize Debian Unstable (Sid) is a fast moving development
> effort and within a couple of weeks the kernel referenced above will
> be outdated and d-i will refuse to install.
>
> With the previous statement said, and if anyone is willing, try the
> above Debian-Installer (d-i) resources while the kernel is fresh...
>
> Feedback and/or suggestions welcome.
>

> P.S I am already preparing some images for Google Compute Engine (GCE)

Reiser4 4.0.1 -enabled Reiser4progs utilities to manage Reiser4 4.0.1
derived creation, formatting, and partitioning. In addition to
generating the desired userland utilities for Debian (which are
already in Stretch & Sid debian repos), it creates UDEBs suitable for
inclusion in a Reiser4 4.0.1 -enabled Debian-Installer (d-i)

Patch inclueded in repo:
https://github.com/Metztli/debian-installer-reiser4progs

and attached patch below:

Best Professional Regards

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-Added-reiser4progs-support-to-generate-UDEBs-for-Deb.patch --]

From 3478c2545277f5f54d602a051390206c826436ed Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Metztli <jose.rodriguez@metztli-it.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 20:18:15 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] Added reiser4progs support to generate UDEBs for
 Debian-Installer

---
 README.md                       |  5 +++++
 build/reiser4progs/run-ldconfig |  1 +
 build/udebs/run-ldconfig        |  1 +
 debian/control                  | 17 +++++++++++++++
 debian/rules                    | 48 ++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 create mode 100644 README.md
 create mode 120000 build/reiser4progs/run-ldconfig
 create mode 120000 build/udebs/run-ldconfig

diff --git a/README.md b/README.md
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..2e8a2cd
--- /dev/null
+++ b/README.md
@@ -0,0 +1,5 @@
+# debian-installer-reiser4progs
+
+Component set will create UDEBs suitable for inclusion into the Debian-Installer (d-i)
+for a successful Debian partitioning, formatting, and installation onto Reiser4 filesystem.
+Additionally, of course, will also generate upstream maintainer's userland DEB packages.
diff --git a/build/reiser4progs/run-ldconfig b/build/reiser4progs/run-ldconfig
new file mode 120000
index 0000000..2657475
--- /dev/null
+++ b/build/reiser4progs/run-ldconfig
@@ -0,0 +1 @@
+../../run-ldconfig
\ No newline at end of file
diff --git a/build/udebs/run-ldconfig b/build/udebs/run-ldconfig
new file mode 120000
index 0000000..2657475
--- /dev/null
+++ b/build/udebs/run-ldconfig
@@ -0,0 +1 @@
+../../run-ldconfig
\ No newline at end of file
diff --git a/debian/control b/debian/control
index 151a3da..5abe3b6 100644
--- a/debian/control
+++ b/debian/control
    - measurefs.reiser4
    - mkfs.reiser4

+Package: reiser4progs-udeb
+XC-Package-Type: udeb
+Section: debian-installer
+Architecture: any
+Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
+ This installer module contains utilities to check, resize, and debug
+ Reiser4 filesystems.
+
+Package: mkreiser4-udeb
+XC-Package-Type: udeb
+Section: debian-installer
+Architecture: any
+Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
+ This installer module contains the utility to create Reiser4 filesystems.
+
 Package: libreiser4-dev
 Section: libdevel
diff --git a/debian/rules b/debian/rules
index 67ff1b0..551b172 100755
--- a/debian/rules
+++ b/debian/rules
@@ -45,21 +45,21 @@ configure-reiser4progs-stamp:
 	cd $(CURDIR)/build/reiser4progs && $(CONFIGURE) --with-readline
 	touch $@

-#configure/mkreiser4-udeb configure/reiser4progs-udeb:: configure-udebs-stamp
-#configure-udebs-stamp::
-#	mkdir -p $(CURDIR)/build/udebs
-#	cd $(CURDIR)/build/udebs && $(CONFIGURE) --with-readline=no
-#	touch $@
+configure/mkreiser4-udeb configure/reiser4progs-udeb:: configure-udebs-stamp
+configure-udebs-stamp::
+	mkdir -p $(CURDIR)/build/udebs
+	cd $(CURDIR)/build/udebs && $(CONFIGURE) --with-readline=no
+	touch $@

 build/libreiser4-dev build/reiser4progs:: build-reiser4progs-stamp
 build-reiser4progs-stamp:
 	$(MAKE) -C $(CURDIR)/build/reiser4progs
 	touch $@

-#build/mkreiser4-udeb build/reiser4progs-udeb:: build-udebs-stamp
-#build-udebs-stamp::
-#	$(MAKE) -C $(CURDIR)/build/udebs
-#	touch $@
+build/mkreiser4-udeb build/reiser4progs-udeb:: build-udebs-stamp
+build-udebs-stamp::
+	$(MAKE) -C $(CURDIR)/build/udebs
+	touch $@

 install/reiser4progs:: install-reiser4progs-stamp
 install-reiser4progs-stamp:
@@ -82,21 +82,21 @@ install-libreiser4-dev-stamp::
 	rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/libreiser4-dev/usr/share/doc/{AUTHORS,BUGS,README,THANKS}
 	rm -f $(CURDIR)/debian/libreiser4-dev/usr/lib/*.la

-#install/mkreiser4-udeb:: install-mkreiser4-udeb-stamp
-#install-mkreiser4-udeb-stamp::
-#	$(MAKE) -C $(CURDIR)/build/udebs install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/mkreiser4-udeb/
-#	mv $(CURDIR)/debian/mkreiser4-udeb/usr/sbin $(CURDIR)/debian/mkreiser4-udeb/
-#	rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/mkreiser4-udeb/sbin/make_reiser4
-#	rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/mkreiser4-udeb/usr
-#	rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/mkreiser4-udeb/sbin/{debugfs.reiser4,fsck.reiser4,measurefs.reiser4}
-
-#install/reiser4progs-udeb:: install-reiser4progs-udeb-stamp
-#install-reiser4progs-udeb-stamp::
-#	$(MAKE) -C $(CURDIR)/build/udebs install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/reiser4progs-udeb/
-#	mv $(CURDIR)/debian/reiser4progs-udeb/usr/sbin $(CURDIR)/debian/reiser4progs-udeb/
-#	rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/reiser4progs-udeb/sbin/make_reiser4
-#	rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/reiser4progs-udeb/usr
-#	rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/reiser4progs-udeb/sbin/{mkfs.reiser4,measurefs.reiser4}
[...]

 clean::
 	dh_autoreconf_clean
--
2.6.4

* Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-11 11:42 ` Jose R R
       [not found]   ` <CAM12Q5Tj3xgN5izBa0jA8Mn1Mu7-RqRKTmStoNUfmJNtb=EtNA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-11 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS Development List, debian-boot, debian-cloud

(Bonus) Reiser4 version 4.0.1 -enabled patch for Debian Linux kernel
packaging:

> [...]
> (after untarring above referenced, install as)
> cd reiser4-parted_3.2-12
> dpkg -i parted_3.2-12_amd64.deb libparted2_3.2-12_amd64.deb
>
> Next resource is only needed if Jessie was installed. Package below
> will replace the older Reiser4 file utilities:
> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4progs-4.0.1.tar
>
> Although I have created patches for most (or all ;-) of the above at
> GitHub, I realize Debian Unstable (Sid) is a fast moving development
> effort and within a couple of weeks the kernel referenced above will
> be outdated and d-i will refuse to install.
>
> With the previous statement said, and if anyone is willing, try the
> above Debian-Installer (d-i) resources while the kernel is fresh...
>
> Feedback and/or suggestions welcome.
>

> Best Professional Regards
>

> P.S I am already preparing some images for Google Compute Engine (GCE)

Based on building a Reiser4 4.0.1 -patched Linux kernel the 'debian way'
(hack, literally -- but it works ;-) prior post:
https://metztli.it/blog/index.php/aH0?blog=4

Creates Reiser4 4.0.1 kernel module UDEB suitable for inclusion into
Debian-Installer (d-i); please, note that, as explained in the referenced
blog above, /usr/share/kernel-wedge/package-list
must also be modified in addition to this patch below attached:

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-Reiser4-support-for-Debian-AMD64-packaging-to-genera.patch --]

From ceae978f3570a4c3fde30cb4317e2ad67f67c1bf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Metztli <jose.rodriguez@metztli-it.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:16:36 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] Reiser4 support for Debian AMD64 packaging to generate kernel
 reiser4-module

---
 debian/config/amd64/defines                          | 2 +-
 debian/installer/amd64/modules/amd64/reiser4-modules | 1 +
 debian/installer/amd64/package-list                  | 3 +++
 debian/installer/modules/reiser4-modules             | 1 +
 debian/installer/package-list                        | 6 ++++++
 create mode 100644 debian/installer/amd64/modules/amd64/reiser4-modules
 create mode 100644 debian/installer/modules/reiser4-modules

diff --git a/debian/config/amd64/defines b/debian/config/amd64/defines
index 224defc..55dc7d0 100644
--- a/debian/config/amd64/defines
+++ b/debian/config/amd64/defines
@@ -6,7 +6,7 @@ featuresets:
 kernel-arch: x86

 [build]
-debug-info: true
+debug-info: false
 image-file: arch/x86/boot/bzImage

 [image]
diff --git a/debian/installer/amd64/modules/amd64/reiser4-modules b/debian/installer/amd64/modules/amd64/reiser4-modules
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..9373ef1
--- /dev/null
+++ b/debian/installer/amd64/modules/amd64/reiser4-modules
@@ -0,0 +1 @@
+#include <reiser4-modules>
diff --git a/debian/installer/amd64/package-list b/debian/installer/amd64/package-list
index 322f816..3bf777d 100644
--- a/debian/installer/amd64/package-list
+++ b/debian/installer/amd64/package-list
@@ -4,6 +4,9 @@
 # It overwrites specifications from /usr/share/kernel-wedge/package-list.
 #

+Package: reiser4-modules

diff --git a/debian/installer/modules/reiser4-modules b/debian/installer/modules/reiser4-modules
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..70ddae4
--- /dev/null
+++ b/debian/installer/modules/reiser4-modules
@@ -0,0 +1 @@
+reiser4
diff --git a/debian/installer/package-list b/debian/installer/package-list
index e79890b..9721040 100644
--- a/debian/installer/package-list
+++ b/debian/installer/package-list
@@ -137,6 +137,12 @@ Priority: standard
  This package contains the JFS filesystem module for the kernel.

+Package: reiser4-modules
+Depends: kernel-image, crc-modules
+ This package contains the Reiser4 filesystem module for the kernel.
+
 Package: ntfs-modules
 Depends: kernel-image, nls-core-modules
--
2.6.4

* Fwd: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso
       [not found]   ` <CAM12Q5Tj3xgN5izBa0jA8Mn1Mu7-RqRKTmStoNUfmJNtb=EtNA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-01-11 11:46     ` Jose R R
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-11 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS Development List

> [...]

must also be modified in addition to this patch below attached:

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

Jose R R
http://metztli.it
Try at no charge http://b2evolution.net for http://OpenShift.com PaaS
from our GitHub http://Nepohualtzintzin.com repository. Cloud the easy way!

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-Reiser4-support-for-Debian-AMD64-packaging-to-genera.patch --]

From ceae978f3570a4c3fde30cb4317e2ad67f67c1bf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Metztli <jose.rodriguez@metztli-it.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:16:36 -0800
 reiser4-module

---

       [not found]       ` <20160111190158.58dc383f@multivac.localdomain>
@ 2016-01-12  8:34         ` Jose R R
From: Jose R R @ 2016-01-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Wilson; +Cc: debian-boot, ReiserFS Development List

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 8:01 AM, Adam Wilson <moxalt@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 07:22:21 +0100
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Adam Wilson <moxalt@riseup.net> (2016-01-11):
>> > This is somewhat off-topic, but why was ReiserFS support removed
>> > from d-i? I am a big fan of Reiser3 personally, but I use XFS now.
>>
>> In linux's changelog:
>> | linux (3.10.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>> | […]
>> |   * udeb: Remove obsolete and unsupported drivers and filesystems
>> |     - Remove ppa from scsi-modules
>> |     - Remove floppy-modules, irda-modules, parport-modules,
>> plip-modules, |       qnx4-modules, reiserfs-modules, ufs-modules
>> | […]
>> |  -- Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>  Tue, 16 Jul 2013 02:06:53
>> +0100
>>
>> It seems it was already being phased out in d-i a few years before
>> that: https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2010/20101030
>
> That is interesting. I distinctly remember the 'ReiserFS' filesystem
> option being present in the Wheezy d-i. The description went something
> like this: 'Journaling filesystem created by Hans Reiser' or something
> along those lines. Your research has revealed otherwise- but I have my
> suspicions. I'm sure I didn't make up that experience.
>
> Perhaps I somehow inadvertently customised my copy of d-i or did an
> advanced install or something, but I doubt it. I was even more inept a
> year ago than I am now.
>
> Why was Reiser3 phased out? It wasn't *grossly* unstable or anything,
> and despite lack of maintenance it was still a good little filesystem
> that could have stayed for longer.
>
> And why UFS? It may be obsolete, but I should think it would be
> relatively stable. Surely a filesystem should only be removed when it
> is actually a steaming wreck,

"not just when the devs don't like it anymore."

You just hit the nail on the head ;-)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWM_CVsUAAAqFSX.png:large

Seems only large organizations have the financial resources to
whitewash their monstrous past and have their code accepted. For an
unfortunate individual like Reiser, well, tough luck -- as FOSS' often
touted technical meritocracy of code selection process is simply
trumped over by a selective 'morality', selective 'altruism', and/or
'religious' (or X) other sort of *unspoken* agreement/fanaticism by
upstream maintainers (gate keepers?).
http://marc.info/?l=reiserfs-devel&m=144979771308703&w=2

Oh, yes, the 'extra cherry on top' by someone 'commenting' at the end
-- throwing extra dirt -- dissing the individual and/or his work/code.
That's the pattern I have observed.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R