* Cyclic dependency with systemd?
@ 2016-01-14  9:04 Fredrik Johnsson
From: Fredrik Johnsson @ 2016-01-14  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Hello,

I am a bit concerned about the call to "sd_booted" in misc-util/logger.c:942. This would mean that util-linux depends on systemd, but systemd also depends on util-linux for libmount.

I have not run into any problems myself but can this be an issue? In theory: If you compile systemd without util-linux, it should fail because it needs libmount, and if you try to compile util-linux, it should also fail because it needs sd_booted from libsystemd.

Best regards,

Fredrik Johnsson
Axis Communication

* Re: Cyclic dependency with systemd?
@ 2016-01-14 10:31 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2016-01-14 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Johnsson; +Cc: util-linux

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:04:25AM +0000, Fredrik Johnsson wrote:
> I have not run into any problems myself but can this be an issue? In
> theory: If you compile systemd without util-linux, it should fail
> because it needs libmount, and if you try to compile util-linux, it
> should also fail because it needs sd_booted from libsystemd.

The dependence on libsystemd is optional:

 1/ build util-linux --without-systemd
 2/ build systemd
 3/ re-build util-linux --with-systemd

anyway, people usually don't build all from scratch. If you already
have system with all the dependencies then you can build without extra
care about this issue.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: Cyclic dependency with systemd?
@ 2016-01-14 16:15   ` Bruce Dubbs
From: Bruce Dubbs @ 2016-01-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak, Fredrik Johnsson; +Cc: util-linux

Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:04:25AM +0000, Fredrik Johnsson wrote:
>> I have not run into any problems myself but can this be an issue? In
>> theory: If you compile systemd without util-linux, it should fail
>> because it needs libmount, and if you try to compile util-linux, it
>> should also fail because it needs sd_booted from libsystemd.
>
> The dependence on libsystemd is optional:
>
>   1/ build util-linux --without-systemd
>   2/ build systemd
>   3/ re-build util-linux --with-systemd
>
> anyway, people usually don't build all from scratch. If you already
> have system with all the dependencies then you can build without extra
> care about this issue.

For those of us who do build everything from scratch and choose to not use
systemd, there is also a circular dependency on udev (we use eudev).  For
our first build of util-linux we use --without-systemdsystemunitdir

   -- Bruce Dubbs
      linuxfromscratch.org