* [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question
@ 2016-01-21  5:53 Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2016-01-21  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

If I try using pktgen theme mode (-T) or unmodified, without commenting
out some of the stuff I mentioned I disabled for debugging in the
(black text on black??? or I'm not sure just want) on my TTY which has a
black background.

If you quit the app it does not reset the colors so my shell is also
invisible, until I blindly run the reset command.

Did anybody else try it on a black background? Did anybody else see
these issues with it as well?

Matthew.

* Re: [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question
@ 2016-01-21  6:00 ` Arnon Warshavsky
From: Arnon Warshavsky @ 2016-01-21  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: dev

Black background gets me to the blind reset as well.
Pktgen is the only tab I keep with non black background..

--

*Arnon Warshavsky*
*Qwilt | work: +972-72-2221634 | mobile: +972-50-8583058 | arnon@qwilt.com

* Re: [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question
@ 2016-01-21  6:02   ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2016-01-21  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnon Warshavsky; +Cc: dev

On 1/20/16 10:00 PM, Arnon Warshavsky wrote:
> Black background gets me to the blind reset as well.
> Pktgen is the only tab I keep with non black background..

Thanks for confirming. Never had this many termio issues before so I was
wondering if I just went totally crazy!

@ 2016-01-21 14:55 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-01-21 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall, dev

On 1/20/16, 11:53 PM, "dev on behalf of Matthew Hall" <dev-bounces@dpdk.org on behalf of mhall@mhcomputing.net> wrote:

>If I try using pktgen theme mode (-T) or unmodified, without commenting
>out some of the stuff I mentioned I disabled for debugging in the
>(black text on black??? or I'm not sure just want) on my TTY which has a
>black background.

I am not sure what you changed for debugging, but on my Ubuntu 15.10 using MATE Terminal 1.10.1 with a black background and white text the cursor remains as white after I quit Pktgen. If you have a crash for some reason the cmdline code leaves the TTY in a raw mode no echo, which is just like no cursor. I have to also do ’stty sane’ to get echo/cursor back on. Is this what is happing to you?

I created a white-black.theme I was using and did not try to make it pretty as I use a black on light yellow background. Here is the theme.
theme default white none off
theme top.spinner cyan none bold
theme top.ports green none bold
theme top.page white none off
theme top.copyright yellow none off
theme top.poweredby blue none bold
theme sep.dash blue none off
theme sep.text white none off
theme stats.port.label blue none bold
theme stats.port.flags blue none bold
theme stats.port.status green none bold
theme stats.dyn.label yellow none off
theme stats.dyn.values yellow none off
theme stats.stat.label magenta none off
theme stats.stat.values white none off
theme stats.total.label red none bold
theme stats.colon blue none bold
theme pktgen.prompt green none off
cls

Please give more details next time to help me understand the problem like OS type, terminal type used, versions, …

Thanks
++Keith

>If you quit the app it does not reset the colors so my shell is also
>invisible, until I blindly run the reset command.
>
>Did anybody else try it on a black background? Did anybody else see
>these issues with it as well?
>
>Matthew.

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question
@ 2016-01-21 15:04   ` Arnon Warshavsky
From: Arnon Warshavsky @ 2016-01-21 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev

Keith,
On my end I'm ending with black on black with Konsole 2.3.3 on Centos 6.5
starting as green on black.

--

@ 2016-01-21 15:27     ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-01-21 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnon Warshavsky; +Cc: dev

From: Arnon Warshavsky <arnon@qwilt.com<mailto:arnon@qwilt.com>>
Date: Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM
To: "Keith Wiles (Intel)" <keith.wiles@intel.com<mailto:keith.wiles@intel.com>>
Cc: Matthew Hall <mhall@mhcomputing.net<mailto:mhall@mhcomputing.net>>, "dev@dpdk.org<mailto:dev@dpdk.org>" <dev@dpdk.org<mailto:dev@dpdk.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question

Keith,
On my end I'm ending with black on black with Konsole 2.3.3 on Centos 6.5 starting as green on black.

I changed my console to green on black and got the same results. When I quit Pktgen the cursor color and text return to green. I can not set the cursor color different from the text color on this terminal. This maybe a problem with kconsole. Using xterm the cursor and text are restored as well.

I would need to install a Centos 6.5 with Konsole. I can run konsole, but the setting will not allow me to adjust the colors most likely it needs more then just konsole installed with this MATE window system. Even in this default state of black on white the cursor returns as black with black text, which could be the problem???

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles@intel.com<mailto:keith.wiles@intel.com>> wrote:
On 1/20/16, 11:53 PM, "dev on behalf of Matthew Hall" <dev-bounces@dpdk.org<mailto:dev-bounces@dpdk.org> on behalf of mhall@mhcomputing.net<mailto:mhall@mhcomputing.net>> wrote:

>If I try using pktgen theme mode (-T) or unmodified, without commenting
>out some of the stuff I mentioned I disabled for debugging in the
>(black text on black??? or I'm not sure just want) on my TTY which has a
>black background.

I am not sure what you changed for debugging, but on my Ubuntu 15.10 using MATE Terminal 1.10.1 with a black background and white text the cursor remains as white after I quit Pktgen. If you have a crash for some reason the cmdline code leaves the TTY in a raw mode no echo, which is just like no cursor. I have to also do ’stty sane’ to get echo/cursor back on. Is this what is happing to you?

I created a white-black.theme I was using and did not try to make it pretty as I use a black on light yellow background. Here is the theme.
theme default white none off
theme top.spinner cyan none bold
theme top.ports green none bold
theme top.page white none off
theme top.copyright yellow none off
theme top.poweredby blue none bold
theme sep.dash blue none off
theme sep.text white none off
theme stats.port.label blue none bold
theme stats.port.flags blue none bold
theme stats.port.status green none bold
theme stats.dyn.label yellow none off
theme stats.dyn.values yellow none off
theme stats.stat.label magenta none off
theme stats.stat.values white none off
theme stats.total.label red none bold
theme stats.colon blue none bold
theme pktgen.prompt green none off
cls

Please give more details next time to help me understand the problem like OS type, terminal type used, versions, …

Thanks
++Keith

>If you quit the app it does not reset the colors so my shell is also
>invisible, until I blindly run the reset command.
>
>Did anybody else try it on a black background? Did anybody else see
>these issues with it as well?
>
>Matthew.

Regards,
Keith

--

Arnon Warshavsky
Qwilt | work: +972-72-2221634 | mobile: +972-50-8583058 | arnon@qwilt.com<mailto:arnon@qwilt.com>

* Re: [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question
@ 2016-01-21 15:35       ` Arnon Warshavsky
From: Arnon Warshavsky @ 2016-01-21 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev

Keith,
For the record, on my end (can only speak for myself)  this is not a real
problem.
I work around it by using a different theme and live with it happily ever
after.
I just provided the input since I encountered it.

/Arnon

--

@ 2016-01-23  2:48         ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2016-01-23  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnon Warshavsky; +Cc: dev

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 05:35:00PM +0200, Arnon Warshavsky wrote:
> Keith,
> For the record, on my end (can only speak for myself)  this is not a real
> problem.
> I work around it by using a different theme and live with it happily ever
> after.
> I just provided the input since I encountered it.
>
> /Arnon

For me, breaking stuff with a black background to gain questionably useful
colors and/or themes seems like more overhead for cognition of the code for
not much benefit.

This is going to break the tool people who use a Linux standard framebuffer
with no X also, isn't it?

@ 2016-01-24 19:46           ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-01-24 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall, Arnon Warshavsky; +Cc: dev

On 1/22/16, 9:48 PM, "Matthew Hall" <mhall@mhcomputing.net> wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 05:35:00PM +0200, Arnon Warshavsky wrote:
>> Keith,
>> For the record, on my end (can only speak for myself)  this is not a real
>> problem.
>> I work around it by using a different theme and live with it happily ever
>> after.
>> I just provided the input since I encountered it.
>>
>> /Arnon
>
>For me, breaking stuff with a black background to gain questionably useful
>colors and/or themes seems like more overhead for cognition of the code for
>not much benefit.
>
>This is going to break the tool people who use a Linux standard framebuffer
>with no X also, isn't it?

You can disable the themes or colors by not including the -T option on the command line.

The colors and terminal control are all ASCII codes, which most terminals will support even on a standard serial console.

>Matthew.

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question
@ 2016-01-25  9:20           ` Andriy Berestovskyy
From: Andriy Berestovskyy @ 2016-01-25  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall, Keith Wiles; +Cc: dev

Hi Matthew,
Every software has bugs. pktgen is a great tool and we appreciate it as is.

I would prefer we discuss a patch rather that questioning a
functionality implemented way ago...

Andriy

--
Andriy Berestovskyy

* Re: [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question
@ 2016-01-25 19:10             ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2016-01-25 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andriy Berestovskyy; +Cc: dev

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:20:42AM +0100, Andriy Berestovskyy wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
> Every software has bugs. pktgen is a great tool and we appreciate it as is.
>
> I would prefer we discuss a patch rather that questioning a
> functionality implemented way ago...
>
> Andriy

Sure patches are the best. But in order to patch it you have to understand it
first.

So I'm providing feedback how we could make it easier to understand, so more
people can run it, and learn it, and make patches.

I'm hoping to make some patches myself in the next few months. I admit I am
kind of slow because I only work on DPDK in my spare time right now.

Matthew.